• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PTRS Observations & bugs

Placebo Cyanide

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
inexcess.us
Since I do not make many forum posts and tend to just lurk, let me go ahead and say this so that my feelings and/or intentions towards RO2 and Tripwire are not misunderstood.

You guys have done absolutely stellar work! It is a bit crazy when I think about it. To think of how it all started out from a mod -- and now here we are, all playing a game that we all love and to many like myself, feel that it dwarfs the major franchises in terms of gameplay quality and enjoyment factor. It really is amazing and I've been nothing but impressed by all the hard work you guys pour into your games.

Whenever I first started playing RO1 I felt the learning cliff that many of us have felt. It was the most frustrating and at the same time, the most enjoyable gaming experience I had ever had. After getting my face pwned off the first few weeks, I took a small break from it and when I came back I had a mission: Find 1 weapon and practice practice and practice until I could hold my own. My thinking was to find a weapon that was not considered a priority target by the enemy and effective at a distance. After finding arad servers to be a bit slower paced, I found my answer, the PTRD. I still get a bit of nostalgia thinking about how I bumbled about not knowing what the hell I was doing but loving every minute of it. Over time, I explored pretty much every facet of the gun and saw it change from a class that tankers would ignore to a class that tankers would spend 10 minutes hunting until they killed him. I guess the best analogy I can come up with is that the PTRD was my gateway drug to my current addiction to Red Orchestra. I want the same thing for myself and other PTRD/S fans out there for RO2. :) When I look back on Ro2 years from now, I hope that there is some equivilent to things I've discovered in Ro1 - like finding out that the Is2 can be destroyed by the PTRD with 2 shots if you have a 45 degree vertical angle straight shot into the viewport -> ammo. I also hope (like everyone) that there is a minimum of glitchy things like PTRD rounds being unable to kill tank commanders (not drivers) sticking their head out of the tanks, unless you have very specific and awkward angles to the tank and/or turret orientation. If not, it bounces off their forehead like they are ironman lol.

I noticed something in the beta that is a really minor thing to me, but it is something that made me wonder how much testing the PTRS had received. There is no achievement in the RO2 beta for anything anti-tank related. I know that will sound strange to some but think of it like this -- achievements are used as a way to measure one's progress in a game and generally when someone has 100% of the achievements for a game it is considered being a completist. That means someone could be considered an RO2 Completist but never have played the Anti-Tanker class. That just seemed a bit off to me, but I'm guessing/hoping that it is only a partial list. (btw - props on the binoc bash achievement, that one gave me laugh)

Here is a list of a few things I've noticed:

- Anti-Tank Rifle hitting front end of Panzer IV tracks results in a non-deflecting hit but it appears no damage is dealt, even after using 15+ rounds. My guess is that the game is registering an armor penetration hit on the metal overhang on the top side of the tracks (I'm sure it has some unique name but it is unknown to me).

- sometimes when you reload the PTRS it does not center correctly when bringing up the ironsights. The rifle is slanted off to the left side and you can see through the part of the rifle closest to viewpoint. undeploying then redeploying fixes it.

- Tripod Machineguns can penetrate the thick walls on Fallen Fighters, but the PTRD can't. There also seems to be another penetration bug concerning the PTRS and the buses on the same map.

- AT grenades explode upon impact, even when they only hit the ground. I don't consider myself an expert on these, in fact, I know little to nothing about them. I just felt it worth repeating as I've read others say that they were magnetic and had a fuse.

- Lack of binoculars on Anti-Tank Loadout. RO1 had them and were probably the Anti-tanker's most valuable tool to locate enemy snipers and identify which tanks he had an angle on. I'm assuming that it will be unlockable equipment for the AT class? I very much hope so.

- There appears to be no way to deal any amount of damage to a Panzer IV when faced with its frontal armor. I don't expect to be able to kill it outright but being able to take out a driver through the viewport or something would be nice. I also don't expect to be able to nail every weakness of the tanks before the game even comes out, but finding these nuances in the game is what makes it so addictive.

- While the Panzer IV seems to be impossible to get a frontal kill on, the T34 is relatively easy to kill, 3 shots to the left hand side of the turret seems to do the trick. The difficulty gap between killing a PanzerIV and killing a T34 seems to be rather large if this is an intentionally placed vulnerability. As far as the balance goes I would think that the PTRS would provide a generally equal effectiveness against both tanks and if anything making the T34 harder to kill to please the realism people.

- It is very difficult to tell who's tank you killed or how many were in the tank that you killed. The point modifiers like "+2 vehicle destroyed" "+3 the player was inside the capzone" (or whatever the points are) scroll the names before they even appear it seems. Opening the console is no luck as the kill messages do not appear there. Perhaps there is some config setting I haven't discovered yet that will change the number of messages allowed on screen.

I will update the thread if/when I find any more things of interest regarding the PTRS. I do wish I could do more in-depth look at the PTRS to find any other bugs/glitches to help out but unlike RO1 I can't exactly boot up a game in practice mode with zero bots :( . All I need is to get 30 people to join a server and let me and the tank play in a corner of the map Lol :D

aaahhh someone else with the love for the ptarding side of things.

I agree to most of your points mainly the pz4 seemingly not taking much hassle by the ptrs at all. But that might be to fallen fighters limited flanking options. Some spreadsheets with hitzones whould be nice...i remember having a pz4 slumbing at me and i fire at open hatches ...mainly on the turret but doing nothing...underbelly i got a "engine destroyed" shot ONCE in like 12h playing the role.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aaaaaaa the ptrd.... loved playing with her in RO1, now we've got ourselves a semi-auto PTRS.... that does nothing against PZ4's!
I tried shooting every single location of the PZ4 up front... and i couldn't get a single penetration hit(even when i was shooting straight at the view port of the driver... o.o)
A friend of mine told that, if you hit the lower part of it(like in RO1) you can kill it in 2 hits mostly...

The binocs are kaput too... And it was, like you said, one of the most important things in the Anti-Tanker arsenal...

That bug of the ptrs not centering correctly usually happens to me when i press R to reload when in ironsights mode with zoom on...

And the penetration of walls with the ptrs seems non-existent...

Basically, it seems like the Anti-Tanker class was made in a hurry just to fill a gap... and not to be really played with... =(

Upvote 0
- There appears to be no way to deal any amount of damage to a Panzer IV when faced with its frontal armor. I don't expect to be able to kill it outright but being able to take out a driver through the viewport or something would be nice. I also don't expect to be able to nail every weakness of the tanks before the game even comes out, but finding these nuances in the game is what makes it so addictive.

The frontal armour Germany put on their tanks such as the Panzer IV and Tiger was much thicker than the frontal armour they had on their tanks at the begging of the war when the PTRS and PTRD were designed and put into production. AT crews when faced with frontal armour at times aimed for the vision slits hoping to get a round into the tank. Here's a link for you.

(RE: Link Yes I know its different but it was the same design same ammunition and same power.)

Upvote 0
- There appears to be no way to deal any amount of damage to a Panzer IV when faced with its frontal armor...but being able to take out a driver through the viewport or something would be nice.
As it should be. The Panzer IV's front armor should be impenetrable to PTRS. As for the drivers viewport, it has armorglass plus it can be shut. Look here:

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=817000&postcount=16[/URL]

- While the Panzer IV seems to be impossible to get a frontal kill on, the T34 is relatively easy to kill, 3 shots to the left hand side of the turret seems to do the trick.
In this case the PTRS is too overpowered vs the T34 and needs to be toned down.

Upvote 0
I was able to test the PTRS a bit more....and I'm going to be honest here. I'm extremely disappointed.

I want soo badly to love playing this class in the same way I loved playing Ro1, but the way it is now is just making it very difficult to love, like, or even tolerate. Being able to strike individual crewmen and critical systems through the chinks in the armor is critical to the PTRS being anything but a waste of time to play. I do not want to see any work you guys have done to go to waste, but if eventualy nobody plays the class then how is it anything but that?

I made many many attempts to get to a side-shot angle... which is behind enemy lines pretty much every single time. While hidden I had a PanzerIV pull up 20 feet from me. He had taken no damage at all. I moved into a perfectly perpendicular position to the side armor and shot the lowermost hitbox that was used in Ro1. In Ro1 this would be the epitome of a Perfect Shot. It took Four (4) shots to kill a tank under the best possible circumstances anyone could hope to get. Perhaps the damage that kills a tank when shot in the ammo storage area is delayed and so the 4th, 3rd, or even 2nd shot were unnecessary...but I think that is just wishful thinking. I remember a while back I asked in an IRC chat if the PTRD/S would be able to net kills just as well as it could in Ro1 assuming the skill level of the person was the same... this does not appear to be the case. I know developing a game is tricky business and ideas evolve over time, but I can't help but feel like I was mislead.

I know this is beta, and that is the only thing left giving me hope -- the idea that there is still time to balance this weapon fairly. In the combined arms maps that have been available to use thus far, any halfway intelligent tanker will never move into a position where they can be killed by a PTRS, let alone the AT grenades. (exception being the T34 turret bug)

Every other class in this game is placed upon relative equal footing with their opponent. A skilled infantryman stands a fair and balanced chance to take out a lesser skilled, better equipped enemy infantryman... same thing goes for tankers. This is also how it was in Ro1 and pretty much every other game out there. The Anti-Tanker class seems to be the only exception. It is poor against equally skilled infantrymen, and even worse against equally skilled tankers. Instead of being the jack of all trades, master of none that it was in Ro1 it is the worst of both worlds.

I was, as many Ro1 vets know, almost exclusively a PTRD gunner in Ro1. If the map had it as an option, and the enemy team had tanks, that was my chosen class. It is singularly the most important factor of my sticking with Red Orchestra Ostfront and consequently, buying Ro2. The difficulty, learning curve, and eventual payoff is what made the class so addictive and fun to play. Ro2 PTRS seems to be missing the payoff. There is absolutely no incentive to use the PTRS... and given my great joy with this class in Ro1, I need less "selling" on it than anyone else I know...and if this is final product AT class, I am 90% certain that I will never play it.

I understand the pleas of those favoring realism, and I am not against that. There does need to be a focus on realism, this is a RO game afterall. This focus, however, needs to be tempered with game balance. Every other class is provided this luxury, I just wish the PTRS was lucky enough to not be relegated to crazy-bad-noob tanker removal by the most difficult method possible. With every other class in this game, if you are skilled enough you can dominate the battlefield and lead your team to victory. Who doesn't want to be the hero of Stalingrad, right?

Upvote 0
The last thing we should have in RO is Tanks that need to be terrified of Infantry at long range, i don't want a Bad Company situation where every infantryman is capable of sundering a tank in twain without breaking a sweat.

Terrified? no(, not unless the person is very very skilled with it)... any amount of concern whatsoever? yes. The Germans did develop those armored skirts specifically because of the PTRD/S did they not? I am not saying they overpower it and turn it into an "atomic AT rifle", I'm pleading that they make it something other than useless. In Ro1 you could make a difference in the battlefield if you knew what you were doing. You say "without breaking a sweat", but I don't think you understand everything a PTRD gunner had to do. You take into account far more than a normal rifleman had to for his target, and you had to hit a target much smaller. Most people that picked up that gun in Ro1, even when they knew exactly where to hit had a very difficult time taking out tanks. Try out the PTRS against the Panzer IV and let me know your experiences.

Has anyone else noticed that the AT gun for the Axis AT Gunner looks just like the PTRS/D series of AT Rifles?

That is because it is the PTRS, the Germans simply captured them from the Russians and gave it a different name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is because it is the PTRS said:
Ah now it makes sense. Although it does make a new question: why didnt they use a german AT Rifle becuase germany did have them... but if I remember corectly it only had 1 shot while the PTRS has 5 (I think) so that is most likely why TW decided to use the PTRS for the germans.
Or this is all just random crap that spawned in my head... either case is possable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not saying they overpower it and turn it into an "atomic AT rifle", I'm pleading that they make it something other than useless.
If it penetrates any part of the front of either tank in RO II at any range then it is overpowered. It has been mentioned that T34s are getting front turret penetrated by it. If true this means it is already an overpowered "atomic AT rifle".

why didnt they use a german AT Rifle becuase germany did have them... but if I remember corectly it only had 1 shot while the PTRS has 5 (I think) so that is most likely why TW decided to use the PTRS for the germans.
Maybe the devs were not aware of the Granatb

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One class I haven't tried yet

It saddens me to see a Ro vet loose their favorite class because I know how I would feel if my beloved rifleman was suddenly useless.

The russians used the 14.5x114mm round in their rifles it had an effective range of 800m and could penetrate armor up to 40mm thick at a distance of 100m.It was used up to the end of the war.

The Panzer 4 g while its 80mm front hull and 50mm front turret was immune to the 14.5mm round.However the side for both hull and turret was 30mm and rear was only 20mm.And could be penetrated by the 14.5 at a flat trajectory while it may not have "blew" the tank up it would have done serious damage to the crew bouncing around inside.

The russians trained their anti tank crews to aim for the view ports, tracks,engine, and rear turret ammo storage.The 2 later could in most causes destroy the tank due to fire or ammo explosions.Also a well placed shot to the turret ring could disable the turret.So the russian anti tank rifle was not useless vs the PIVg by any means.

This may be perhaps too deadly for in game use at these specs lol. In RL the hard part was to get within 100m of the tank in game that's np.I sure hope for all you anti tank riflemen out there TWI can find a happy medium.You guys saved use grunts many times in RO1 taking out tanks.And with the PIVg's realistic advantage over the t34 in stalingrad will be needed now more than ever.

Before anyone argues stats some resources materials
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTRS-41
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_panzer_IV_ausf_G.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
Actually, with its standard round (B-32) it was 35 mm at 100 meters at zero degrees.

Bah I want argue that's just being being picky lol blame wiki not me :p Still enough to penetrate the side and rear armor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14.5×114mm

i-am-ironing-a-kitten-your-argument-is-invalid.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
If it penetrates any part of the front of either tank in RO II at any range then it is overpowered. It has been mentioned that T34s are getting front turret penetrated by it. If true this means it is already an overpowered "atomic AT rifle".

You misunderstand what I am saying... the statement I made was not in relation to how the PTRD/S works in real life. My exact words were "something other than useless". I was speaking of video game balance. They should not strive to make any class nor this AT-rifle overly powerful as it relates to the balance of the rest of the video game. Also, as I reported at the start of this thread that the PTRS can penetrate the front of the T34 turret appears to be a bug. If I am calling it a bug, then it stands to reason that I believe it should be fixed and therefor not in the game... so why are you acting as if I am defending this game mechanic? I do not feel that the tanks should be made of paper. This game is a video game designed for enjoyment first and foremost and a war simulator second. If there is an entire class to the game which is essentially devoid of enjoyment, then I feel that is a problem that needs rectifying just as badly as a T34 turret bug.

What I am proposing is that the rifle again be like or at least remotely similar to the skill based rifle that it was in Ro1. If you can hit a 3 dimensional hit-box the size of a shoebox that is inside of a tank at required angles and taking into account bullet drop, there needs to be some amount of payoff for that. It is also worth mentioning that the bullet drop for the PTRS is much greater and the required angles for penetration are vastly more restrictive than Ro1. As the game stands right now, no other class has to work even remotely this hard to perform their class' role. I understand the realism aspects that you are bringing up, but I feel you are completely ignoring the point I am bringing up: game balance. I know those are dirty words in a lot of realism circles, so I will just say this, "Use the PTRS against a Panzer IV before you vote on how the class should be in Ro2."

If nothing (excluding the T34 turret) changes with this class then PTRS vs Tank kills will be as rare 1 bullet 2 headshot kills.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0