• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Question] AA in game problem

Well, I can see a difference there.

Are you sure you know what AA does? Here's a demonstration:

Antialiasing.gif

Upvote 0
If you have an ATI card (maybe nvidia too) check in the CCC that the AA settings are set to allow application to control the AA mode / level. In mine were set to override the application settings.

After setting it to allow Applications to control AA level, with AA on low I've got 5-10 fps more.

Ati 5770 1G slightly OCed

Upvote 0
There is terrible aliasing in this game... They put textures and shapes that contain too much information to be rendered nicely. It won't render well until we get 10 times better resolutions with full AA. It's like recording a song with a 1 kHz sampling rate... Even the best interpolation technique cannot bring back the lost information. The same thing happens with pixels.

That's kinda paradoxal... you put great textures and shapes to give the game a nice looking, but since the resolutions are too low, it looks terrible in the end...

But AA definitely works, and improves the situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The anti-aliasing settings progressively do more work and produce better quality anti-aliasing. Most of that is not perceptible immediately unless you blow up the image, but it adds to the overall smoothness of the scene. I've added comparisons so that you can see the difference in the image rendered on screen and when I blow it up 5x.

Attachments

• Comparison.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Comparison2.jpg
    Comparison2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Antialiasing is just a low-pass optical filter...

It's like removing the high frequencies in a sound before downsampling for whatever reason. If you need to remove the high frequencies, it's because it HAS too high frequencies. Opposedly, when your sound has lower high frequencies, the same filter removes them even more. Or for the same level of quality, you can simplify the filter.

All that to explain, that in the end, just like the sound that has too high frequencies, your textures/meshes have too many details. Instead of working on a super AA that drops FPS, you should work on the textures, and remove these kinda "optical high frequencies".

Wikipedia said:
Similar to one-dimensional discrete-time signals, images can also suffer from aliasing if the sampling resolution, or pixel density, is inadequate. For example, a digital photograph of a striped shirt with high frequencies (in other words, the distance between the stripes is small), can cause aliasing of the shirt when it is sampled by the camera's image sensor. The aliasing appears as a moir

Last edited:
Upvote 0