• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your helmet - is it good for something?

Yeah, they are for fragmentation. They might keep you in the fight against what could have been a very near miss of a rifle shot, but they're designed to protect against low-medium speed shell fragments and other flying debris.

Oddly enough, when such helmet designs were first introduced as standard gear for troops in warfare, the number of head wounds went up. Why? Because those who would otherwise be marked as KIA began being marked as wounded instead.

Upvote 0
Sometimes my head would become red on the damage indicator thingamajig, in ro1 at least. I imagined thats because the helmet did, erm, something. But, could also mean I was grazed, or my guy is just that baddass and takes it out the eye and spits it out his mouth.

I don't know about realism, but it would be cool to be able to rely on your helmet a little more.

Upvote 0
So, can you helmet save you in any situation? Or is it just there for cosmetic reasons?

The helmets are only there for that lovely "plink" noise you hear when you drive a round into their head :cool:

I want my helmet to be able to bash through walls and clobber my enemies:
236369-65493-juggernaut_super.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I doubt steel Helmets wer ever bulletproof. They protect against impacts and shrapnels, not direct hits.

Tbh no helmets are designed to stop high caliber bullets, like mentioned before they're there to prevent debris and shrapnel. Once in a while you can get lucky and have a bullet deflect off but thats about it, a decent round and it goes right through any helmet.

The helmet serves the same purpose in todays armies as it did back then.

Upvote 0
IRL the helmets were mainly for confidence purposes, the reality is they just can't stop any high caliber rounds. If it did stop penetration, the blunt force of the impact would probably kill you.

With that said, in game it shouldn't reflect any rifle rounds, only smaller caliber and at a decent distance.

Upvote 0