• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No more realism mode for me.

I have hesitated a couple of times as I am ready to pull the trigger, wondering if it is a soviet or german soldier hiding in the dark in front of me, but it just makes the game much more fun and intriguing :)

So to answer your quesion; yes, sometimes during the heat of battle it can be hard to tell, depending on the situation and how far away the person is.

Upvote 0
Yes, but I've been playing on my laptop since I'm out of the U.S. on vacation. Suspect it'll be better at home at 1920x1200 with textures turned up.

That's honestly your problem.

On low graphics settings the colors are VERY hard to distinguish, especially on the danker maps.

True, but that's something everyone has to deal with.

Reactions: LHeureux
Upvote 0
I find it pretty tough on Barracks and in the dark areas at the bottom of the Grain Elevator. I have real difficulty with differentiating the helmeted Soviet assault trooper and the German assault trooper: - the shape of the helmet profile is quite similar from the front.

Doesn't help that I'm green / brown colour-blind, either :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Green v Brown

Though I swear I had a German in a Russian uniform or something the other night on Red October - shoot a guy with a light brown jacket and the fuzzy hat, some guy then starts over the chat. I was 99.9999999% sure that was a Russian. I'm guessing there had to have been a guy on the other side of some of the cover in there I caught. There was no way in hell that was a German.

Uniform color, helmet, weapon profile, way they run, and simply knowing that the Russians are generally that a way, the Germans usually the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I team killed 4 people in one round on barracks. I played a lot of RO1 and never had this problem. I think that the Germans and the Russians look a little similar. Or maybe it is just that the barracks map is dark. Anyone else have problems?

Yes, with people TKing me. The only TK I got today was when some idiot ran into my line of fire while I was shooting.

But realistically 1/4th of my deaths are from TKs. And if I'm doing really well, up to 50% of my deaths can be from TKs. People need to look before they shoot. One time a friendly sprayed me with a PPSH. I said, oh thank G-d he didn't kill me. Then he just sprays again a few seconds later!

Upvote 0
When people are cheating with the lowering of shadows thing then they instantly know whether you are an enemy or not it's not fair but I can usually tell an enemy from a friendly.

How the heck is adjusting your shadow quality a "Cheat?"

I take it down so my system can run decently and if you don't think that's fair.... it is. If you think it gives others an advantage, then you're free to adjust your shadow quality settings like everybody else.

As for trying to target the right soldiers and not your own team, it is a bit difficult on Barracks and other maps when looking from a distance, but I focus mostly on helmets and/or their positions in the map. Usually if they're facing in the direction my team is heading, chances are they're an enemy. It'd be pretty stupid to be someone on your team with his back turned away from where the enemies are coming from. Not only do they have the stance of an enemy, but if an enemy does pop up, they can get shot in the back really easily.

If their helmet looks gray or dark blue'ish, they're usually german, if they're green or tan caps, they're russian.

As others have said, observe how they run.

And also as others have said, if you're not sure.... don't shoot. If you're not sure and don't shoot.... don't stick your head out, play it safe so you don't get a bullet in your face.... try and move up / flank their position so you have a clearer or closer view of your target.

Since playing the beta, I might have TK'd maybe four times so far, usually from a grenade bouncing off a wall the wrong way or having it drop when I die..... I think one TK was from directly targeting someone I wasn't sure of, but I blame the smoke :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't generally have a problem, but there's been a couple times I've been mistaken, or panicked and accidentally killed my own guy. That's just the nature of a realistic game though.

It's actually one of the main reasons I ONLY play on realism servers. I like being in that state of ignorance, and having to rely on my own eyes and intelligence to quickly decipher a friend from an enemy. It helps generate that genuine feel of realism. After all, there are no nametags hovering above our heads in a real war, and accidental friendly fire is a real danger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0