• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO1 Vets, there is a lack of

Im such a vet that I retired from computer gaming. LOL
Not to brag but I was a top player in the first Red Orchestra : ) Played since old betas in Unreal 2003 then on unreal 2004
I would love to jump on RO2 but without a mac release of the game I would not waist money on a gaming machine for one great game. Ill see if I get tempted to add boot camp to my mac so I can teach you young ones a thing or two.

Super STG exploit it from the first RO is my discovery! still exists!

Last edited:
Reactions: Keyser_Söze
Upvote 0
I didn't play the mod till some of the TK guys hosted a mod server a couple years ago, but I played the retail from its release till its 5th anniversary. I also played Killing Floor for way to long (over 250 hours the first month of release), and realized TWI isn't trying to please only one crowd as it would be a waste of their time. Its kind of foolish to put all your eggs in one basket and devote ungodly amounts of time to a project only a few people will truly appreciate.

They even said in interviews (Crosshairs podcast, I believe) that they were trying to expand the RO2's target audience. They said outright that they were going to reduce its predecessor's steep learning curve and add elements that appealed to the general masses while still holding onto the core elements that made RO1 what we've all enjoyed the past few years.

I think RO2 has enough of what made RO1 appeal to me, and I know that many of my friends and clan mates feel similarly. My only worries at this point are the lack of stability on the beta, knowing the official release is still slated for a week and change from now. I think that given time to polish and tweak things, most the hardcore RO1 crowd will migrate over and find it really isn't that bad.

Upvote 0
Stop whining.

We are playing on small maps with close quarter game modes.

If you had to wait 2 minutes to spawn to run 30 feet... that is boring.
Tripwire is offering us a game that can be played MULTIPLE ways.

We have not even played any of the large maps yet. It is a beta, they are focusing on different aspects to get everything up to snuff.

And most importantly of all - IT IS MODDABLE, don't like it, change it.

Stop whining.

Upvote 0
Stop whining.

We have not even played any of the large maps yet. It is a beta, they are focusing on different aspects to get everything up to snuff.

Stop whining.

Just because you exhibit drone like complacency, doesn't mean everybody should.

Alot of the suggestions in this thread are genuine, and put forward in a disrespectful way.

Just the fact that you don't agree doesn't make any of them whiners.

Upvote 0
Stop whining.

Stop whining.
Erm, you have played the large maps. Red October Factory is one of the biggest in the game. That map and Pavlov's house are the largest infantry/combined arms maps. So if you're waiting for bigger maps then you'll have to wait for customs.

Upvote 0
It's worth noting that to achive "Realism" in a videogame (within the constraints of what a game can do, it's never going to be 100% real), you sometimes have to do things in a less realistic way to get realistic results.

Yeah, that sounds like a massive contradiction, but if you dig a little deeper, it actually makes some sense..

The main thing most RO vets seem to have a problem with in Ro2, is the lack of tactical play, Ost was something special, because it managed to create an environment where real military tactics actually worked, and gamey FPS-game tactics would usually fail. And it did so without becoming too bogged down in simulation, it was still a fast round-based MP game where you could jump in and be in combat allmost emediately.

A lot of us are seeing this take a hit in Ro2, where real-life tactics can often be overwhelmed by the sheer speed of common FPS-game tactics, the gameplay feels more mainstream to us, more like all the other dime-a-dozen WWII shooters we where trying to escape when we found RO.

And oddly enough, some of Ost's lack of realism seems to have been instrumental in creating that gameplay-realism, like the running speeds, yeah they where not true to life in Ost, they where a bit too slow, and the aim sway, yeah it was a bit overdone, but in a game environment where none of us fears death (because it's not death, it's just a short wait in a respawn que), they seem to have been vital in creating realistic tactical play, the limitations made us play with more caution.

Meanwhile, it can be argued that Ro2 more clousely mimmicks real human abillity in some respects, a human probably could and should be able to sprint faster and longer than he could in Ost for instance, but then, it translates into unrealistic tactics beeing used and succeeding, since we have no fear of death, we go all out with thease abillities with gusto and bravado, and are pulling off nothing short of heroic deeds that most real soldiers would never have risked knowing it was his neck on the line..

The bottom line for me is that, RO:Ca and RO:Ost where games that i loved for their tactical play, their immersion and historical accuracy, they where games that made me feel like a soldier in a war, and not as Tom Hanks and a war movie.

Ro:Hos reminds me more of BiA, MoH, the early CoD's, that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, it retains a lot of the origional RO spirit, it is more tactical than thouse games, and it is so nearly there, you could allmost taste it, but it's just out of reach..

I never liked games like BiA, MoH and the early CoD's, just never did, didn't find them fun, something about them has never clicked with me, but RO did, and in a big way!

Don't really know what to make of HoS.. and it frustrates me, because it's so clouse but just out of reach.. nearly there but then not quite..

Upvote 0
Spoiler!

Awesome post, could not agree more. You put into words what I'm feeling, exactly.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that sounds like a massive contradiction, but if you dig a little deeper, it actually makes some sense..
Makes perfect sense to me, especially with regard to promoting teamwork.

I love not seeing player names, I dig no kill cam, I prefer to not have kill/death confirmations scrolling in the upper right corner, I want more sway after sprinting and maybe I'm not sold on zooming ...

... but I want something on screen that allows me to identify my squad and my SL. Give me constant feedback, their position in relation to mine, their distance. If they're not in front of me, show me if they're beside or behind me. I like spawning on my SL (assuming he's not in sight of an enemy, in combat or in a cap ... meaning he has to fall back). I want VOIP chirping in my ears at all times, my SL coordinating or my squad mates communicating, and I want to know who the hell is talking. Give me an onscreen prompt when I hear a voice, show me a name and show me in-game who is talking with an icon over their head. Show me that my score is rising because I'm communicating and coordinating with my squad, constantly reinforce that this is the "right" way to play.

Realistic? Clearly, no. But certain "gamey" concessions must be made because, quite simply, this is a game. In real-life, I would know who's talking, I'd recognize their voice, their face, I'd have no trouble picking my SL and squad mates out of a crowd. I'd have spatial awareness far exceeding anything possible in a video game, I'd know where I was in relation to my squad, I'd know if Tommy were crouching next to me, whispering about the MG emplacement up ahead. Most importantly, I wouldn't need incentive to play by the rules of the squad, because in reality, that is how one survives an armed conflict. This is the stuff that is lost in a video game, the important interactions that must be artificially compensated for.

And of course, give players the option to turn all of this stuff off. You don't want squad icons? Off. Don't like VOIP? Off. You don't want to join a squad? Don't. The player should always have a choice. His game, his way ... even if it's not the "right" way.

All else considered, this is the stuff I'm really missing from RO2.

Upvote 0
Erm, you have played the large maps. Red October Factory is one of the biggest in the game. That map and Pavlov's house are the largest infantry/combined arms maps. So if you're waiting for bigger maps then you'll have to wait for customs.

Wish I could rememeber who it was said I was trying to stir trouble when I mentioned a beta tester said there where no CO maps like RO1....

Bigger maps will be great...but not without transport...which we haven't got...

Upvote 0
... but in a game environment where none of us fears death (because it's not death, it's just a short wait in a respawn que), they seem to have been vital in creating realistic tactical play, the limitations made us play with more caution.
This is also an important notion.

Countdown is a single life mode ... but rounds are so short and jarring that it's really not a downside.

Territory has the game play I crave but the constant respawns mean players don't value their digital "life". Oops I ran and died, I'll be back in the mix in 20 seconds tops, including my run from the spawn.

I want a server running TE with much longer spawn times. Or Countdown with ... something. I don't know what it is about CD that I don't like, it's just so unsatisfying. The idea is brilliant, the devs have the right idea. So many people want TE with one life, but it would end up too spread out ... hence CD ... but it still needs something. I wish I knew what that was so I could suggest it and look like a genius.

CD needs to be ironed out. If the transition from round to round were somehow made smoother ...

TE needs a much longer spawn time in order to elevate it beyond run and gun. I'm not saying this needs to be implemented as a default ... well ... maybe is Realistic mode. If you hate to wait and want to run and shoot and kill gogogogogo, play Relaxed. If you enjoy tension, the looming specter of "death" (a long wait in spectator land), and the resulting slower game play, Realism is your thing. Or, as is the case, wait and pray for a Custom server with sub-100 ping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the way i see it.. unless you're playing in a match or a scrim, they're public games.. noobs and vets, living together.. total chaos! join a clan and start playing real competition if you want more substance to your gaming.. stop crying about what noobs do on the playground! everyone starts somewhere! for what it's worth, i'm a vet.. been playing since before RO:combined arms.. moscow highway anyone??

Upvote 0
This is also an important notion.

Countdown is a single life mode ... but rounds are so short and jarring that it's really not a downside.

Territory has the game play I crave but the constant respawns mean players don't value their digital "life". Oops I ran and died, I'll be back in the mix in 20 seconds tops, including my run from the spawn.

I want a server running TE with much longer spawn times. Or Countdown with ... something. I don't know what it is about CD that I don't like, it's just so unsatisfying. The idea is brilliant, the devs have the right idea. So many people want TE with one life, but it would end up too spread out ... hence CD ... but it still needs something. I wish I knew what that was so I could suggest it and look like a genius.

CD needs to be ironed out. If the transition from round to round were somehow made smoother ...

TE needs a much longer spawn time in order to elevate it beyond run and gun. I'm not saying this needs to be implemented as a default ... well ... maybe is Realistic mode. If you hate to wait and want to run and shoot and kill gogogogogo, play Relaxed. If you enjoy tension, the looming specter of "death" (a long wait in spectator land), and the resulting slower game play, Realism is your thing. Or, as is the case, wait and pray for a Custom server with sub-100 ping.

I think the respawn time can be set per server. But I cannot find the confirmation as to where I gotten this from.

I hope it is, since it would be fairly easy to find a server with longer spawning times enabled without having to scrounge out every single server.

Upvote 0