• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Comparing RO: 1 to RO: 2, what features do you think should have stayed the same?

I am really having trouble understanding why all these people continue to bash RO2 for not being like RO1 in this way or that way.

When Modern Warfare 2 came out and I didn't like the kill streaks and every gun having no recoil *cough ACR*, having no dedicated servers or mod support, I didn't log onto the forums and spill arguments against MW2 or or saying that, "CoD4 did it better". I just uninstalled MW2 and continued playing CoD4.

If you honestly believe that RO1 did so many things better than RO2, why not just go play RO1? People still are playing and with a great company like TWI behind it, the support isn't going anywhere.

I honestly love the way that RO2 is now. Other than annoying crashes that happen as a result of it being a beta. I feel that the game has not only improved over what was in RO1, but taken the series to a new level of features. I would hate to see the game take a step backwards and just be a copy of RO1 especially when RO1 is still around to play.

Upvote 0
I would like to see suppression returned to its former glory, a loud super sonic snap accompanied by quick distortion of the screen, off-setting your aim slightly. It would feel far more effective and "right" in my opinion.

I also feel that they need to add vehicle commands and alerts like RO1 had with the ability to map them to keys individually. As it stands it's virtually impossible to quickly and adequately command or convey orders to your crew when you have one or two more actual players in your vehicle with you. Too many times my gunner will be looking in the wrong direction as I spot an enemy tank at our 12 or 9 and all I could do was to type out its location and hope he saw the tiny white text.

As for the zoom on ADS, at first I couldn't stand it, but then I realized that it DID make sense to have it. As many other posters have stated, one hundred yards in real life is nothing to the human eye, a man-sized target at that range is easy to see in just about all conditions and lighting, I know this bit from personal experience. Even out to three hundred meters, the farthest I've yet to fire my rifles from, a man-sized silhouette can be seen with relative ease and hit with irons.
Now if you try to view something at even sixty meters in-game, with the zoom turned down(I do this so I can zoom manually, helps keep peripheral vision for SMGs, indoor shooting, etc.) you'll find that your human targets are positively minuscule, past one hundred and fifty or so meters you can forget about even seeing them.
I've done my fair share of pixel hunting in RO1 and it seemed easier in that older engine for some reason, but going out past two hundred seems nigh impossible in the new engine.

My two cents.
Also, "Hello!" from a long time lurker and player, first time poster.

Upvote 0
The ones who don't like the zoom just take it too literally. They don't understand the concept or what is being achieved because your eyes don't literally "zoom".

This ^. People seem to think 100 meters is like a mile away.. its not. Although it may look that way without the zoom which is not realistic at all. The zoom actually helps this be more realistic. Go to a local track and find the 100 meter mark. It may not appear as far away as you think it would.

Upvote 0
I think probably there should still be minefields around spawns. Today I was playing on Gumrak with only one player on the other side. After he quit without leaving spawn, I stopped over to check out what was going on. Sure enough, I drove the Pz4 right into his spawn, checked him out, then blew the hell out of him. All right in his spawn.

I know on countdown there are "minefields", but its more of a "instant death" radius, there aren't even any warnings just *walking oh so fine* then *dead instantly*. Made me ragequit more than once when i was on a flanking killing spree with friends and our entire team dies while sprinting to cover.

Don't know much of Gumrak however, aren't many good/not full servers that run it but if what you say is true it could use some spawn protection.

Upvote 0
if TW barely changed the gameplay then the game wouldn't be classed a sequel but more of a upgrade "Capcom" style or a remake with only better graphics and some animations being the only differences. And no one other than Fans x with nostalgia want that. Tripwire and many devs have to change the next game for better or worst because they cant make a game thats just the same, because thats just a big waste of time, money and effort.

Upvote 0
I can barely get RO2 to run for 5 minutes before it crashes, so that needs fixing.

And what is up with the Wehrmacht SWAT outfit and MP44?

I think the in-vehicle crew movements are a huge plus, rarely ever see that nowadays.

And yes, the SL spawn is a little silly, I forsee a lot of exploits coming where the SL finds a glitch in the map that lets the rest of his troops flood in at important spots.

Upvote 0
Gun sway, running stamina, no spawning on SL, no zoom, no ****ty lockdown.

All you do is complain on these forums, gun sway wasn't realistic. I bet you've never handled a rifle or any gun for that matter in real life. They modeled a BREATHING system for a reason, your breathing effects the aim of your weapon, not random swaying everywhere.

Spawning on your SL is basically like having a large squad and reinforcements, tripwire put it in for a reason..

Zoom gives you the ability to SEE everything 1:1 as you would see it in real life.

Quit *****ing on the forums all day, if you don't like the game don't play it, end of story. Go back and play RO 1 if you're so unhappy, none of that stuff is going to change so either get with the times and learn to enjoy it or don't play. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to listen to your moaning anymore.

Also running stamina isn't unrealistic, some people were in better shape than others, some people can run far, some can't. They aren't going to model that because it would just be a random chance on spawn to not be able to run very much. The weight of the weapons you carry effects the speed of your running and how fast your stamina drains, MG's can't run nearly as much as smg users can.

Upvote 0
The gun sounds were msore rich in RO1, there was also the warping barrel sound when your MG got too hot.

The reload animations were far superior in RO1 as well.
Red Orchestra - Ostfront 41-45 - Gameplay 1/5 - YouTube2:57

The gun sounds in RO1 were poor quality "youtube video" style sounds (hence the massive reverb). Some people like that, and there is no problem with that. You can easily replace the sounds with RO1 sounds if you like, actually. However, I will tell you right now that, having fired several of these weapons myself, the Heroes' sounds are much more realistic to what you'd hear firing the weapon outdoors (indoors, well that'd be very bad and we don't want to blow the players' eardrums.)

As for the animations, while they may look cool it doesn't take 10 tons of force to reload the magazine. Plus, the bolting is much smoother (little changes in orientation most people would not notice but contribute sooo much) and shows much more realistic momentum in the hands. (Ex, when pushing the bolt down)

Gewehr 98 WWI German infantry rifle - YouTube
(Closest to a Karabiner 98 loading video I could find. Same thing really.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if TW barely changed the gameplay then the game wouldn't be classed a sequel but more of a upgrade "Capcom" style or a remake with only better graphics and some animations being the only differences. And no one other than Fans x with nostalgia want that. Tripwire and many devs have to change the next game for better or worst because they cant make a game thats just the same, because thats just a big waste of time, money and effort.

Nobody wants a carbon copy with better graphics, there's plenty of things we where really excited about:

All new and improved bipod system.

Improved 3D scope with parralax effect and abillity to use iron sights.

Abillity to adjust range on the sights.

Optional cover system with true blindfire.

Smoother controls.

Abillity to cancel actions like reload.

And many more, there's plenty of new things that we wanted, and which we where looking forward to, that we all felt was a real improvement on the previous game. And then there where some that has it's supporters and it's detractors, like the aim-zoom, but thouse in itself where not deal-breakers.

But RO2 goes well beyond adding new features, it has jumped genres, Ro:Ost was a Tactical-shooter, but RO2 does not feel like a Tactical-shooter to me, it feels like a normal Military-shooter..

Reactions: Forssen and Stormer
Upvote 0
Ahh well, might as well join in. Am I the only one that REALLY hopes they leave bailing out of the tank an option for mods...?

It would be rather interesting in a sort of Countdown mode when it's combined arms... and I used to do it in RO1 and mods... just was fun to bail out and become a soldier when you had to.

Not that I don't understand it's removal in RO2.. no more people wasting tank crew as soldiers because their tank didn't spawn yet, or leaving tanks stranded and making it a long respawn for the tank.

I'm sure they'll make a way for mods to do it if they want to... right?

Upvote 0