• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reload Cancellation

barakas

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
So being able to cancel reloads and run is good, however I've noticed an unpleasant side effect. That often I cancel a reload by sprinting or going prone right at the end of the animation without realizing it hasn't finished. This is compounded by sprint and zoom being the same key, since I often accidentally sprint near the end of a reload when I'm moving.

I notice this especially bad with the G41 since many times I can actually have the new clips in, and have closed the clip slide thing, and I think its okay to run or get up from prone, but its not quite at the end of the animation, but I haven't realized that its not reloaded.

Several times in the last 2 days I've been playing, I've come across some russian, raised iron sights, and then click, I realize its not reloaded, even though the animation seemed to have completed and must have been say 95% complete when I broke it.

Would it be possible to have a system like in L4D, where breaking a reload simply pauses a reload, instead of cancelling completely?

It might take a bit of work, but it would be even cooler if this was broken down into stages, so if you cancel the animation after you've removed the empty mag, when you resume the reload (i.e. stop sprinting or finish transitioning from prone to standing), you continue from that stage, so that if you cancel it just before cocking, that's all you have to do to finish the reload.

Or if thats too much work, at the very least have it so that if an animation is 95%+ finished (i.e. the mag/clip is actually in and closed in) that it counts as complete so people aren't thinking they've finished reloads when they haven't.

Anyone else noticed a problem with this or is it just me?

Last edited:
Breaking Reload

Breaking Reload

This has actually gotten me killed on a numerous occasions already as Im sure almost everyone else who was played RO has experienced. Attempting to reload during a close quarters fight. All of a sudden an enemy comes around the corner.

Rather than being able to react with the butt of the gun or transition to a sidearm, my avatar continues to fumble with a stripper clip as his head is promptly caved in by the enemy.

I would love to see some way to break the reload animation. *Especially* once we have access to bayonets and the like!

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was trying to reload my SMG when a rifleman came around the corner and popped a shot at me. I tried to melee him before he could prime the bolt again, but my guy was too busy trying to figure out which end of the clip went into the gun and I was promptly shot in the face.

Please add a way to cancel it that is both noticeable and controllable.

Upvote 0
this is a great idea, cause this exact issue has gotten me killed lots of times.. plus, i have seen it happen oversea, where a battle-buddy of mine is reloading right as some one pops up and he just brought up his weapon and fired the final round in his weapon (we usually reload the mag when its down to 1-4 rounds, thus leaving 1 in the chamber for this reason)... now of course by the time he fired, the rest of us had already shot at the target, but the moral of the story remains... xD its nice to be able to interrupt a reload and resume right where you where...

Upvote 0
Just MOVING when prone kill the animation, wich is freaking bad, or going to a stance to another.

That's another thing I forgot to mention.

Since it seems many people are having this problem, can we get a word from TWI if any changes are going to be made to the reload system to stop this happening?

I'd hate to think this would still be a problem for any considerable amount of time.

It doesn't just effect gameplay, but its highly unrealistic. In real life, if you're reloading, and you have the new clip/mag in your gun, and your just about to cock it, if you stop, the new clip/mag doesn't magically teleport back into your pocket, and the old mag empty mag doesn't automatically go back into the gun without your knowledge.

If no substantial change can be made to the reload system like staged reloads or paused reloads, could at least the gun be held in a slightly different way if there's a failed reload, like in Ro1?

Upvote 0
This has actually gotten me killed on a numerous occasions already as Im sure almost everyone else who was played RO has experienced. Attempting to reload during a close quarters fight. All of a sudden an enemy comes around the corner.

Rather than being able to react with the butt of the gun or transition to a sidearm, my avatar continues to fumble with a stripper clip as his head is promptly caved in by the enemy.

I would love to see some way to break the reload animation. *Especially* once we have access to bayonets and the like!

You can break the animation by sprinting if you didn't notice. You really should be able to interrupt it by pressing the melee button though.

Upvote 0
Any chance of getting a dev to comment on this?

I feel this is actually a legitimate, and manageable concern, unlike the hundreds of threads *****ing about it not being realistic enough, or asking for complex stuff to be added in 2 weeks before release.

Though I think that some of those "*****ing threads" are legitimate, this problem is probably one of the most annoying. There are so many times where I helplessly stare at an enemy while my character slowly and calmly reloads one bullet at a time. Clicking right or left mouse button should cancel the reload. And middle mouse button, and anything else that would be important in an emergency.

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0