• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Slow is not necessarily realistic!

Scarf Ace

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2011
I'm sick of people saying RO2 is too fast paced with movement and stuff.
RO1 very clearly took slowness too far. RO1 characters run like regular visitors at the local McDonalds. Anyone who has ever had to run to catch a train (when carrying lots of stuff) knows exactly that the distances you can sprint in RO2 are far from unrealistic.
The same thing goes for speed. Contrary to what the over-the-top "realism" people think, running is actually quite a speedy method of locomotion!

It seems that some people think slow is realistic, when it simply isn't. Slow is just slow. RO2's run speed (when not going up stairs at least :p) is perfectly fine, and so is the stamina.

Personally I agree that slow is not realistic. I do also think however that some people reduce every argument made for some modifications or optional things down to realism.

As far as I know the mode's name is 'hardcore', alot of things fall under that definition that are not necessarily realistic.

The game as it is now can hardly be called realistic either.

Upvote 0
Personally I agree that slow is not realistic. I do also think however that some people reduce every argument made for some modifications or optional things down to realism.

As far as I know the mode's name is 'hardcore', alot of things fall under that definition that are not necessarily realistic.

The game as it is now can hardly be called realistic either.
I think it's hardcore realism, not hardcore difficulty. So I suppose it's meant to be realistic.

Upvote 0
I agree. On average, people back in those times were a lot fitter than they are now. Especially the soldiers. I'm sure a soldier could sprint 100 meters or whatever distance the sprint limit is, even with 20kilo's of equipment or however much they have (I have no idea, just guessing).

On larger maps I think people will be thanking TW for the way sprinting is.

Exactley. Appartments is tiny, you can sprint across most of the map. But when the maps are a lot bigger people will be very thankful of this feature i think.

Well said Mr.Light

Upvote 0
Cope...

RO1 very clearly took slowness too far.
Because you say so...

RO1 characters run like regular visitors at the local McDonalds.
Wow, there's some heavy analysis; was that a physics lesson you learned at University?

Anyone who has ever had to run to catch a train (when carrying lots of stuff) knows exactly that the distances you can sprint in RO2 are far from unrealistic.
Anyone or everyone? 'Lots of stuff'? Does 'Lots of stuff' include scarcely eating for over three months, wearing over 60 lbs of wet wool and canvas, 40 lbs of gear, in incliment weather, and enough disease, injury and sickness to put you in a contemporary hospital's intensive care ward?

The same thing goes for speed. Contrary to what the over-the-top "realism" people think, running is actually quite a speedy method of locomotion!
Oh, really, 'speedy'? Would you give us a demonstration with 'lots of stuff'?

It seems that some people think slow is realistic, when it simply isn't. Slow is just slow. RO2's run speed (when not going up stairs at least :p) is perfectly fine, and so is the stamina.
No. 'Some People' don't want Red Orchestra to cater to the forty wat, technically, historically and literally illiterate part of the COD FanBase that wants Red Orchestra to be another (among thousands) of clones of COD. 'Some People' understand and can use mathematics, and apply it to a concept called 'scale'... But I don't want to bore you with trivial concepts like 'facts', 'measurement', 'scale' or 'meaning'...

But, buck-up Pudding it looks like you'll get your wish, so cheer up and have a happy play-day...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The sprinting is much more realistic in RO2. People move fast in war from cover to cover - you don't want to spend too much time out of cover in war. Compared to the load that soldiers of today carry, frontline soldiers in WWII carried relatively little loads, allowing them to sprint much more easily than today's soldiers despite fitness levels.

Things happen very fast in war and I think RO2 captures this fact much better than in RO1 which often felt sluggish and slow. That said, i prefer the pacing of RO1. The fast pacing however in RO2 is not purely a result of increased movement speed but because of map design and zooming aim which helps A LOT (reducing it by a little I think may be a better option but if the majority like it as is then I'm fine with it staying at it's current setting).

Once we start to see old RO1 maps being imported and more 'rectangular' shaped maps being released, gameplay will I think slow down a bit and become less chaotic. 'Rectangular' maps force teams to form front lines as there are less options to manuver around the map. This slows down game play as teams often have to advance cautiously and extensively use cover and camouflage. The current maps are more square in shape, allowing for the faster paced game play. I am hoping we will see more of the old style RO maps that force teams to advance slowly and carefully with less chaotic running around.

Upvote 0
I've always wondered this, did they really carry the amount of gear they carry now a days back then? It sure doesnt look like much other than a gun, a helmet, and grenades + ammo. Not a troll post but I havnt been able to make an account on here after a few months of lurking.
It depends, a lot of times they carried more, others they were too weak and exhausted and simply got on with what they could, some of the more elite German units adopted fast and light as policy, and pretty much everyone dropped anything that wasn't essential in a fire-fight.

But the clothing worn on the Eastern Front was heavy, mass produced of wool, canvas, leather, and wood; it weighed many times more what a modern Arctic gear weighs, and was absurdly heavy when wet which from many accounts was most of the time (40-60 lbs. when weighed).

Most of the infantry on the Eastern Front were the logistics train, so they were carrying everything they needed most of the time. While even today troups talk about how they 'degrade' in terms strength, stamina, and health with the length and number of deployments -- it pales next to what men endured on the Eastern Front...

:(

Last edited:
Reactions: NuclearDruid
Upvote 0
Cope...

Anyone or everyone? 'Lots of stuff'? Does 'Lots of stuff' include scarcely eating for over three months, wearing over 60 lbs of wet wool and canvas, 40 lbs of gear, in incliment weather, and enough disease, injury and sickness to put you in a contemporary hospital's intensive care ward?

:rolleyes:

It sounds to me like you want to go play a simulator or join an actual army as last time i checked RO2 doesn't track most of the things you listed as it is a Video Game. The OP was referring to the fact that in RO1 everyone acted like they were out for a nice walk or jog, rather than being hyped up on adrenaline and fighting for their lives.

I for one am glad they increased the speed of the game in general, i don't even want to remember the times i traveled across one of the larger maps only to get killed because my character cant run for more than 20 feet, or how slowly the bolt action rifles reloaded.

Reactions: ERK and Flogger23m
Upvote 0
No. 'Some People' don't want Red Orchestra to cater to the forty wat, technically, historically and literally illiterate part of the COD FanBase that wants Red Orchestra to be another (among thousands) of clones of COD. 'Some People' understand and can use mathematics, and apply it to a concept called 'scale'... But I don't want to bore you with trivial concepts like 'facts', 'measurement', 'scale' or 'meaning'...

I too enjoy walking around like a robot and having no feeling of connection to my soldier's movement, standing in place while my character refuses to stop reloading his MG as the Russian with the PPSh runs up and roughly inserts his muzzle into my GRIPPING REALISM.

Upvote 0
I've always wondered this, did they really carry the amount of gear they carry now a days back then? It sure doesnt look like much other than a gun, a helmet, and grenades + ammo. Not a troll post but I havnt been able to make an account on here after a few months of lurking.

Theirs two different kinds of loads, marching and combat.
Marching is basically every thing you need for life as a soldier, mess kit, blanket, poncho, and what naught, it also includes your combat loads, This gear is often dropped off at your company trains before combat.
Combat loads is only what you need for combat.

The Germans in game have from what I can recall off the top of my head.
Helmet
Weapon
Grenades
Ammo + ammo pouches (is it just me or do all the germans have MP 40 mag pouches?)
Bayonet
Entrenching spade
Canteen
Bread bag
Gas mask container (often used for other items)
And historically their would be other items like wire cutters, maps, binoculars, rope and so on.

One thing to note is current day troops have to carry a 30 pound armored vest, batterys for night vision gear, GPS, computers & radios (as well as thoughs items) on top of their combat gear.

edit: to comment on the post above, this is true, while the items back then where often heavy (compared to what we would use). we however have made up for it with lots of other items...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wulffrik
Upvote 0
i would like to first and formost point out that i am a reinactor with the 6thSS, so i do know a bit about waht i am talking about.

this game is way too fast. i just tried the beta when i reloded my MP40 i hadent evient realised i hade removed the mag when it said mag is full. do you have any idea how long it take to get those fiddly things out of the pouches? and dont say Germans would have them open in preperation for cambat because that is absurd. carying one of those things first hand i will tell you this. those mags fall out all the time. reloading needs to be way slowed down. when it comes to reloaginf a K98 those pouches are a massive pain in the *** to open. not only that, but have you ever striped off 5 rounds while under pressure? its a massive pain. and is by no means easy.

in reguards to sprinting. while its true germans would strpi odd exas gear just before combat most everyone AWALYS carried their canteen breadbag and AWALYS AWALYS their gas mask can. however in this game you have a full kit. which is while not all that heavy is also cumbersome and loud.

on the other side its not all that bad when your wool get wet. they dry out pretty fast which is lovely.

i would like to see many of the wepon animations slowed down a great deal evient with great practice it takes some time to reload.

Reactions: Kashash and Spindle
Upvote 0
I mostly disagree with the OP.

The biggest problem is, soldiers were wearing and carrying heavy gear - they could not have sprinted as they do, and especially stop and sprint in the other direction, without slowing down. Sure, RO compensates a little by making you get "tired" but they've overdone it with the infantry speed in general for RO2.

When you factor in that soldiers in Stalingrad were freezing, extremely exhausted, in some cases starving - it is most definitely NOT realistic to have them sprinting at all in any except the most perfect circumstances.

Now, nobody wants to play a game where your character is starving and freezing and just not moving, so I'm not saying they should have made that the norm, but the OP is talking about realism so I'm just saying - that's what was REAL in Stalingrad.

The perfect medium for this game, I think, would be if they had made it somewhere between RO1, and the speed they have it set now for RO2.

I'm getting more used to it, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Theirs two different kinds of loads, marching and combat.
On the Eastern Front the lines between, marching and combat could be pretty blurred...

edit: to comment on the post above, this is true, while the items back then where often heavy (compared to what we would use). we however have made up for it with lots of other items...
The differences are more then that in comparing a contemporary soldier to men that fought on the Eastern Front; modern gear benefits from a lot of engineering, weighs less wet, keeps you warmer/cooler/drier when you need to be. Modern soldiers are by far better fed, are stronger, benefit from better medicine and diet -- and contemporary gear gives much better CCC and intel requiring a soldier to move far less then a man on the Eastern Front had to.

:IS2:

Upvote 0
RO1 very clearly took slowness too far. RO1 characters run like regular visitors at the local McDonalds. Anyone who has ever had to run to catch a train (when carrying lots of stuff) knows exactly that the distances you can sprint in RO2 are far from unrealistic.

Well said ... who is to say how far and hard you could run and how hard aiming would be after a sprint in irl ... being tired, heavy packs = -, adrenalin, training = + etc etc

I prefer an interpretation that allows for more speedy movement ... otherwise the game just becomes a campfest ... why bother moving from your hidey hole when it exposes you, disables sprint and ruins your aim.

There is a mechanism in place that forces you to rest(stop moving not just stop sprint) ... I could see that maybe a slight increase in aim sway when fatigued could be argued for but otherwise plz keep the movement system as it is

Upvote 0