• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another Beta opinion!

RO1's take on weapon performance was always a little too hardcore and ironically, unrealistic - think about the inaccurate MG's, massive recoil-pitching on SMG's and Semi's, and the very slow reload times for all weapons.

Yes, GOD YES.

bbt-shld-pleased.gif

I hit myself in the face with any nearby object whenever I hear a 'realism expert' complaining about factors that are, in reality more realistic than their interpretation.

As for the rest of your post, I agree that sway should be a lot more punishing whilst unsupported and/or tired.

If its rare now-a-days, I honestly doubt it happened much in WW2. I honestly cant remember seeing a soldier with both a MG and a SMG, or with a SMG and a rifle.

You have to remember, unlike today's soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan these guys weren't going out on patrol around the district before returning to base. They were more or less stranded and under supplied.

If I was a Soviet or German rifleman, I'd be looking for a dropped SMG to sling over my shoulder in order to be effective in close quarters battles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not a hardcore RO1 fan. In fact, RO1 was a little too hardcore for me. So I was expecting the shooting to be FAR more difficult than it currently feels. I expected a lot more challenges like your sway going crazy and you barely being able to move at all after running 300 yards. There are all these things in place and you can notice them going on...but they're not really affecting you. Are they going to affect us even less, to the point of not being there, by the time we rank up to heroes?
To be fair, we could all be playing with hero attributes in the beta, we don't know. Perhaps entry level soldiers in the retail release will have more sway, less stamina, longer reload times, etc. than we have in the beta.

Upvote 0
I disagree with the notion that soldiers don't run. Go into a firefight when your life is on the line. If you get shot at you run and you run fast, possibly faster than you ever have with the adrenaline pumping. The rifles, mgs, etc are already hard to use for most.
I don't see anyone saying they 'don't run', the point is more the practical results of that kind of effort on the Eastern Front: in weather that can be colder then the North Pole at the same time of year, wearing 60 lbs of sopping wet wool and canvas, with feet frozen solid, covered in lice, chunks of your feet falling off from fungal and bacterial infections that looks worse the wet leprosy, eating fewer calories in three months then most Americans eat in a day, add a nice load of gear, and a run is more like a suffeling jog, and any sprint that makes you sweat is likely to kill you...

What does making it even harder prove?
Prove? That a game-play doesn't have to be a from the neck down idiot deravitive random-respam-death-mosh to be fun.

The problem with punishing people for running, with more sway etc., is that it promotes camping. Camping kills the game play for most FPS games. People who don't go for objectives, aren't killing enemies, and aren't generally making progress for the team get the advantage by sitting in a roof top staircase waiting for the enemy to appear.
C-S/COD Fan? Don't worry Tripwire seems to be all about making you happy... I expect that by the time you level up with all the magic spiffs and perks that you'll be a regular amphetamine changed WW II Super Nazi or Commie-Comrad Eastern Front version of John Rambo -- complete wtih dual-weild everything, mother/father land super rocket jump, and endless sprit speed that can out run any vehicle in the game...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Richey79
Upvote 0
To be fair, we could all be playing with hero attributes in the beta, we don't know. Perhaps entry level soldiers in the retail release will have more sway, less stamina, longer reload times, etc. than we have in the beta.

If this were the case, you'd think TWI would state it, since so many are complaining on a lot of things that will scale with rank. If this were testing what the game is like at max level....that would be something to tell the people playing.

Upvote 0
I didn't really want to start a new thread over this question, so this seems like a good enough place to ask it. What's the deal with person to person collisions? I've noticed that people can run through one another, and even stand in the same space. Is this a bug, has collision been taken out for the time being, or has it been removed entirely?

Upvote 0
Having put in a few hours now, I agree with the OP about something should be done about the ability to sprint and go immiediately into a steady firing position.

Other than that, the game is great and the covering system is fantastic. I dont think the weapons are unrealistic, I think they are more realistic in their handling and the movement is fine, not to fast just more natural and fluid.

Upvote 0
I agree 200% with OP.

Plus, about the bandage discussion, maybe can I send you to my topic discussing that feature, placed in the "idea and suggestion" part of the forum.

Your opinion on that matter would be really appreciated :

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=58838[/URL]

No need to mention that if enough people are interested about what I say in that topic, devs could maybe look forward to it.

Upvote 0
We read and appreciate all kinds of threads, some others we appreciate less. I like how you voiced your opinion in a likable fashion, not everyone has that skill.

Thanks Sas, much appreciated. To be fair I was expecting everybody to disagree with me and my post to disappear to page 10 within an hour so thanks for taking the time to comment and that goes for everyone else too :)

I don't see anyone saying they 'don't run', the point is more the practical results of that kind of effort on the Eastern Front: in weather that can be colder then the North Pole at the same time of year, wearing 60 lbs of sopping wet wool and canvas, with feet frozen solid, covered in lice, chunks of your feet falling off from fungal and bacterial infections that looks worse the wet leprosy, eating fewer calories in three months then most Americans eat in a day, add a nice load of gear, and a run is more like a suffeling jog, and any sprint that makes you sweat is likely to kill you...

I think some people may have just glanced over my OP without reading it fully, probably because it was so long :) Nevermind, the vast majority of you have and that's what matters. Liking your points mentioned there, even I didn't really think of it like that :)

I didn't really want to start a new thread over this question, so this seems like a good enough place to ask it. What's the deal with person to person collisions? I've noticed that people can run through one another, and even stand in the same space. Is this a bug, has collision been taken out for the time being, or has it been removed entirely?

The collision model serves its purpose in terms of getting rid of the door and corridor blocking but it does ruin immersion and takes away that polished look that the game deserves. I think they should revert really, and we'll just deal with blockers in the same way we have for nearly 8 years.

First of all I wholeheartedly agree with Damo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems an unlikely way of doing it, but it is technically possible.

Doesen't really help matters though, even if thease are the top-skills, it just means we'll all get them eventually, so it would only be delaying the problem.

I believe it was mentioned somewhere that it would take hundreds of hours to get to Hero status, so it would be a looooong delay.

Upvote 0
I don't know why leveling up would be useful in anyway considering we already have no sway and one hit kill melee, based on that I think the skill system hasn't been implemented yet.

What difference will 10% less sway effect a rifle when I can't even notice it right now.

Also if anyone notices, the weapon leveling system is missing, leveling guns serves no purpose right now.

Upvote 0
You have to remember, unlike today's soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan these guys weren't going out on patrol around the district before returning to base. They were more or less stranded and under supplied.

If I was a Soviet or German rifleman, I'd be looking for a dropped SMG to sling over my shoulder in order to be effective in close quarters battles.

True, however if you're going to be away from a supply point it'd be harder to carry two weapons, because now you need ammunition for both. Granted the weapons dont weigh much, it does imo break down the roles to an extent. I was playing aparments last night and picked up an mp 40. I found some more ammo for the mp-40 and the mg-34 to the extent that I could camp somewhere and not have to worry about moving.

I think 2nd weapon pick ups should be limited to certain classes, and that the ammo you pick up is limited. So if you pick up a smg, you get one mag loaded and one mag for reload.

Upvote 0
I agree with you a 100% The base of the game is sound.

I hope that hardcore will adres many of the things you have brought up.

Me too, but I have a funny feeling that the differences in realism setting may only affect what is on screen (the HUD, mainly) and not the way the game plays.

I think someone already mentioned that TW didn't want two separate games, and so I find it hard to believe 'Hardcore' will change things drastically.

Upvote 0
We read and appreciate all kinds of threads, some others we appreciate less. I like how you voiced your opinion in a likable fashion, not everyone has that skill.

Sorry for speaking clearly...
But your answer is useless despite being politically correct.
Why do not you get into the merits of the issues and have not given any opinion?

It would be very welcome.
Cheers

Reactions: Hoak
Upvote 0