• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PPSh is dulled in close combat!

I find the MP40 to be quite a bit better. Highly controllable and accurate up to and past 200 meters.

The PPSH has some fairly hefty recoil and the shot grouping isn't fantastic.. though I think it'll shine when we get to use the 72 round drum

And therein lies the problem. At no time, and in no way should the MP40, or any other 9mm firearm be accurate and desired anywhere NEAR 200m.
Go to the range and try it. It is not possible.

Upvote 0
In many of the servers I've played in I've notice a firing delay. As in I pull the trigger and I see my weapon fire but the round doesn't land for half a second or so, This is at close to point blank range as well. This has gotten me killed most of the time in close range as my rounds inevitably miss. I have also had times where my weapons does not fire although there is ammo remaining in the mag.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dude, I dont know whether you understand WWII or not. But what is in RO1 related to PPSH is realistic, its not overpowered and it is just what it is in WWII. PPSH41 is famous for its much stronger fire power, much faster fire rate, and much better reliability than any other SMG in Germen Army at that time. And also drum is one of its most important factors for those features.

If you are one of those old RO1 players, I think you should understand that what we looking forward most from a game named Red Orchestra is called "reality", not balance first. Because in fact, WAR is some thing not balanced. Do you think it is balanced for a German soldier to fight against planty of US soldiers equipped with semi-auto M1 Garand by using his slow bolt action Kar 98k rifle in WWII? Absolutely not, but that was the reality, and that is what RO good at. If you really want a balance, why dont you ask TWI to remove MKb42 which is hardly can be seen at that time comparing to the huge amout of PPSH41 drum? And obviously you have much balanced choices for WWII games such as DOD: Source, BF: FH2 or CoD: WaW

I thought the drum mag was notorious for jamming, hence the adoption of the stick mag. Also I think it's pretty much established that SMGs had excessive recoil in RO1 for balance purposes. It sounds like you're basing reality off of RO and not the other way round.

If you've ever been to a gun range you'd know that jams are commonplace. Where are they in this game?

Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0
gd1944 is a preety cool guy eh shoots facist and doesn't afraid of anything

biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My feeling : PPSH rocks pretty hard. This gun is a beast.

I find the mp40 more random. Sometimes the bullets just don't find the target. Even in short burst.

But before complaining, we all got the learn again how to use these weapons at their best.

Come on, it's RO2, not RO1. The most wonderful part of RO1 was to start with the feeling of being such a "paraplegic blind dude with dummy-bullets", to finally (after so many hours of pure rape and raging) starting to master the weapons.

NO PAIN NO GAIN. :D

Upvote 0
I'm a PPSh user, I seldom use other weapons in RO1.
The beauty used to be a king in close combat, but now it sucks!

I once had to clear my magazine to kill a fascist yesterday in the Beta, only in 1 or 2 meters range, with iron sight off. And it can't fight the MP40 in such corner battles (with iron sight off). The gun just feels not right.

However, its accuracy is highly increased, and that's the good side.

I hope some adjustment can be made.

What your saying is because the German one is better you want a buff to make your communist SMG the killer of the fascist correct ?

These Russians man.

First its about the T34 being worse than the PZ4 and now the PPSH next it will be about the LMG then over to the class limits.

The game is still in BETA im sure overall they will Improve the PPSH and buff certain other aspects of the game to suit everyone give them a chance.

Upvote 0
I gotta say, the PPSH gave me more than once the impression i was shooting blank in close quarters.
Didn't really know if it was a bug or if my aim was terrible.

One word for you; Suppression.

I've noticed that when I take even the slightest amount of suppression, my bullets go everywhere, except where I am aiming, making the life of the Semi-Auto Rifleman difficult.

Upvote 0
Excuse me? ru kidding me? PPSH is way more deadly now than what it used to be in RO1,MP40 stand no chance vs PPSH,burst shots iven when hipfiring,dont go wildly full auto.

50m. distance ppsh vs MP40,MP40 stand no chance,over 50m yea the MP40 shines more...but CQC MP40 stand no chance vs PPSH,only semi bolt rifle demolishes the PPSH CQC.
This.

In 90% of situations the PPSh is much better than the MP40, just make sure to fire in short rapid bursts.

Upvote 0
I gotta say, the PPSH gave me more than once the impression i was shooting blank in close quarters.
Didn't really know if it was a bug or if my aim was terrible.

There's a bug of some sort that's hard to recreate. I used the PPSh quite a bit yesterday and twice I unloaded an entire clip at 5 paces distance into someone and it didn't even do a thing. One guy came up at me and cracked my skull open while I was changing clips, so it's not a lag thing I would think. Besides I was playing on 50 or less ms ping servers. I think there are a couple of bugs still to be ironed out and they're working close to 24/7 in order to make it as best as possible when it's released in a couple of weeks.

Quite honestly, after the initial fiasco of the loading screen (which wasn't found until they were really loaded up - hence the reason for the beta), the game has been really quite stable. A few glitches here and there and some mesh issues. Hopefully they'll bring on some new maps soon in order to test those out with a large player base.

Upvote 0
There's a bug of some sort that's hard to recreate. I used the PPSh quite a bit yesterday and twice I unloaded an entire clip at 5 paces distance into someone and it didn't even do a thing. One guy came up at me and cracked my skull open while I was changing clips, so it's not a lag thing I would think. Besides I was playing on 50 or less ms ping servers. I think there are a couple of bugs still to be ironed out and they're working close to 24/7 in order to make it as best as possible when it's released in a couple of weeks.

Quite honestly, after the initial fiasco of the loading screen (which wasn't found until they were really loaded up - hence the reason for the beta), the game has been really quite stable. A few glitches here and there and some mesh issues. Hopefully they'll bring on some new maps soon in order to test those out with a large player base.

Hit detection at very close ranges is indeed off. It's not a PPSh problem. Many a times I ran into someone, shot my bolt action rifle at his chestm and died a second later when he unloads on me, even though I know there is NO way I missed. Happened to me dozens of times so far.

No innuendo intended, by the way. :D

Upvote 0
Really? I find the LMGs to be way OP since you can now stand and shoot Rambo style while in the old RO, you pretty much did it for ****s and giggles (Not hitting anything with that recoil)

I've been doing better CQB with an lmg than either of the two smgs.

But with all these different opinions, I guess it really is about taste.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's just what I feel!

Ironsights.. Its there for a reason.
Besides, at times the PPSH in RO1 was redicilous when it came to hipshooting compared to the MP40 >_>
And in my own experience. The PPSH still dominates the close quarters fighting.

Really? I find the LMGs to be way OP since you can now stand and shoot Rambo style while in the old RO, you pretty much did it for ****s and giggles (Not hitting anything with that recoil)
I've been doing better CQB with an lmg than either of the two smgs.
But with all these different opinions, I guess it really is about taste.

And the nice change of the MGs is great. You can finally practice the feared "stormfiering" without the MG flying into the air(which was plain silly). I have been wanting this possible for ages <3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And the nice change of the MGs is great. You can finally practice the feared "stormfiering" without the MG flying into the air(which was plain silly). I have been wanting this possible for ages <3
you mean stormfiring outside of the basovka trenches, cleaned them up several times methodically gunning everyone down with the mg :D

Upvote 0
Man, I want to cry!

I was outguned by G41 many times today, within 5 meters and no Iron Sight. (Hipshooting)

As you all said, PPSh-41 should rule the closest range fight, just as within 5 meters. But with RO2's new settings, PPSh's hipshooting became useless! Cannot hit anything! This SMG should enable me to shoot while running, just like in RO1. But now, I can't shoot effectively without Iron Sight. I think in realism, PPSh should not be used this way.

I don't mind its inaccuracy at long range or mid range, don't make the most perfect close weapon become a mid range auto rifle. I just want the hipshooting accuracy back!

Upvote 0