• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Low GPU usage

The game IS heavily dependent on GPU.

This game barely tasks my 2500k @ 4.8GHZ.

[url]http://imgur.com/a/kFmJH[/URL]

(Top four numbers are my CPU usage percentages while the bottom number is my GPU usage percentage.)

^specs.

I do notice cores 1 and 2 do a lot less work than 3 and 4 however.

Everyone ITT: CPU Bottleneck trolololol.

Also what the heck! Turn on ambient occlusion, it's what makes the games shadows soft... That's like the best feature.

What program you using to track the usage of the CPU? can it also track the temp? thx in advance.

Upvote 0
The game IS heavily dependent on GPU.

This game barely tasks my 2500k @ 4.8GHZ.

[url]http://imgur.com/a/kFmJH[/URL]

(Top four numbers are my CPU usage percentages while the bottom number is my GPU usage percentage.)

^specs.

I do notice cores 1 and 2 do a lot less work than 3 and 4 however.

Everyone ITT: CPU Bottleneck trolololol.

Also what the heck! Turn on ambient occlusion, it's what makes the games shadows soft... That's like the best feature.

ambient-occlusion.jpg

the program is called playclaw http://www.playclaw.com/ and yes it will track usage, temps and more

now about the AO, I could care less how pretty that shadow is on that leaf as I'm getting shot in the head.. or wow check out the bumps on the cobblestone...

I want nice graphics but not at a price that it going to take away from me seeing you before you see me..

:D

Upvote 0
Q9550 overclocked to 3.8GHz
GTX 470 overclocked
8GB RAM

And my GPU usage is very low, usually around 30-55%, max I ever get is 65%. But it's never consistent and usually about 50%. I'm getting between 30-62fps, average i'd say in the high 30s low 40s.

Bumping because I have the same issue and a similar setup.

Stock GTX 470
Q6600 at stock 2.4GHz
8GB RAM
Used Nvidia system monitor to log GPU and CPU performance during a half-hour game on Apartments. GPU usage hovers between 40-60%, CPU usage across all 4 cores is about the same percentage with occasional 5 seconds of 100% on all cores.

Upvote 0
Hmmm .. this GPU under usage together with the CPU under usage smells at BUS bottleneck.

It is possible that the CPU is pushing too much data to the videocard bottlenecking the PCIE bus or the graphic card's own internal BUS. Seems strange but it could be one cause.

Another cause what I see on my dual core CPU, there is a lot of CPU system time usage which can be associated with the the PCIE bus usage (a lot of interrupts) or massive context switching.

Is this the original UE engine version or is a re-compiled version by TWI?

Upvote 0
Another tweak I thought you'd all like to know, open the launch options for the game in Steam, and add the line -compatscale=4. This will keep your CPU and GPU more in line with each other.

To see if this will make a difference for you, run the game and use the 'stat unit' console command, this will show you if your GPU and CPU are working at the same level. The Frame, Draw, and GPU values should be roughly the same; if they aren't forcing compatscale=4 should be a temporary fix.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another tweak I thought you'd all like to know, open the launch options for the game in Steam, and add the line -compatscale=4. This will keep your CPU and GPU more in line with each other.

To see if this will make a difference for you, run the game and use the 'stat unit' console command, this will show you if your GPU and CPU are working at the same level. The Frame, Draw, and GPU values should be roughly the same; if they aren't forcing compatscale=4 should be a temporary fix.

thanks i'll try this

Upvote 0
I made these graphs with ATI Tray Tool. As you can see the GPU activity/usage (green) is very low in RO2 (And Brink, but this game is a differen story ...)
I made one while playing BC2 (and JC2) where the usage of the GPU is normal. So my graphics card shouldn't be the problem.

My PC: ATI Radeon HD 5850, AMD Phenom II X4 955, 4GB Ram, Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H

GPU_CPU_activity.png

I tried it, but it hasn't changed anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0