• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Post your very first impressions!

Have to be honest here and say I am on the fence.

I am a long-time RO player (it and it's mod DH are my favourite games of all time) and my over-riding feeling is that it is simply too easy to hit the target in RO2.

Between the naturally lower weapon sway, the breath-holding mechanic that effectively gives you a COD-like zero wepon-sway aim, and the FOV zoom on BOTH iron sights modes... it's too easy.

I like all the other changes - the player movements, the cover system, bandaging, blind fire, suppression, the graphics improvement, the audio (excpet in game music which i promptly switched off)...

But RO2 is a shooter, and the shooting mechanics at the moment feel too alien from RO1 to me. Simply put, I feel like it is almost COD with bullet ballistic calculations.

Yes, I know some people will point out I can lower the zoom, but why would I do that and gimp myself? That's like saying, just don't hold your breathe while aiming. Again - gimping myself. It's the zoom that is niggling me. Yes, I know it's explanation but it's gonna take some getting used to.

If I can't, then back to RO and DH it is.

I also don't like the fact your soldier keeps spouting off cheesy one-liners. You'd think he's playing paintball.

Upvote 0
First of all, I missed the Beta drop, I was out being social. But for this I'm happy. I downloaded within an hour, at roughly 1.3MB/s. So I guess coming in a little later paid off, also people already had gotten into it, so I was lucky enough to poke around people for tips etc.

Initially, I crashed, several times - this made me laugh more than anything, not in a bad way, just in a "this brings back memories of every other beta I've been in" way.

The server browser is laggy, this can be overlooked with some patience and understanding, it's a beta, 1900+ people seem to be online at any given time, so yeah, I can overlook it.

So here I am, in game, now, I don't really like the role selection, map, or any of those, I just can't get on with them, but again, a little patience will probably help me to overlook these things too. Well, not overlook but get used too.

After some tweaking I was happy with my aiming, I've heard a lot about the Zoom, with a little tweaking, I honestly don't find it a problem.

Now, the sound, and the voices, are the one thing that get me down, they just don't feel right, and the gun sounds down sound as, beafy, as they did in the original title. Which is a shame. The one thing I loved most about my Kar in Ostfront, was the crack when I fired it. It feels somewhat dull now. But again, mods will come, and they will surely bring back the old sounds, who knows. I do not like my character chuckling to himself, etc, it ruins my atmosphere. I feel less immersed. But I'm usually too busy watching for targets!

I'm one for talking in game, and helping people who may not be getting into the game so well, for example, one player was getting frustrated about not being able to kill anything, so I told him, hit up smaller servers, get used to the mpas, weapons, etc, and then try larger servers later - but I was disapointed at the amount of comments "L2p noob" "u suxx" - we're testing a game, guys, work together, help people understand things, it all benefits TWI who worked so hard to give you this beta, so don't be rude to your fellow testers, share your knowledge and opinions. Obviously this is nothing to do directly with the beta, rather an opinion I wanted to include.

I'm already a bit saddened by the amount of SMGs, Machine Guns, Semi Autos out there, no one seems to take the bolt because there's so many better roles out there, I've personally been handeling myself just fine with my Kar, up against most things. But I'd like to see more bolts around.

Overall, I'm impressed, but I'm struggling to get used to a lot of changes, and I feel this is the core for a fair few complaints, just give it time, hit up small/empty servers and have a run around, gather some friends, try shooting them through different types of cover etc, try things!

THanks to anyone who reads this, feels good to get an opinion out there.

Good luck on the field, guys!

Upvote 0
I wish I could post my first impressions... Trying to join a game for like 5 or 6 hours now. I didn't even make it to one single loading screen - the game crashes whatever I do and the cursor is lagging around heavily. I already tried some fixes and workarounds but nothing helped. I hope I will be able to have a glance at at least some minutes of gameplay today.

Specs: 7 64, GTX 275, 6 GB

Upvote 0
I played for about 5 minutes (after it refused to open, so I ran the U3something file in folder, and then it showed no servers, so I did the fix of downloading two server files for the Steam folder), and then the server browser went to 1 frame every 4 seconds while loading servers.

Then I got into a New Danzig game just to die, and maybe shoot someone. It ran smoother than I was expecting, which is great. I died fast, which was good to get out of the way. My first kill, in traditional RO fashion, was a team kill--I didn't look at the key bindings before starting, and did the "hit G to resupply MGer" become "hit G to throw grenade at the feet of your 4 teammates"? Ooopsie!

Upvote 0
2011083100033.jpg

*Full sized pic*

My first impressions about tanking: Awesome. Note how I am the last one left, everyone else abroad is now a- gory mess..

If anyone is intrested, I have more screenshots, haven't uploaded them though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baine
Upvote 0
While overall having a very good impression of the game (and I think it will achieve greatness), I also agree with the mixed impressions of a lot of people in this thread.

"countdown" is not for me at all. "okay go! Quick! Ok now we switch sides!" ?? No, thanks. I'm all for having choices, though, I just guess there might be a big divergence between the different kinds of games being hosted. I have zero interest in the "arcadey-style" ( and yes, that's exactly what it is), that's why I liked RO1 so much. But we will see how it goes.

The voices and chatter are way overdone. I will enjoy it more when I set it to native language, in the meantime, I just try to tune it out. It doesn't "enhance the realism" or excitement to me.. Just seems a bit much. That includes the extreme death throes and groans. Though some of that is okay.

I'm not liking the music as much either, it swells too much like some sort of John Williams concert, less matching the misery and dire situation the soldiers are in (like the first RO, more somber and appropriate IMO)

But these are all subjective things. Some people will love the very things I dislike, I get that.

The character animations are awesome. The way theyve use light refraction and specifically sunlight, weather environment etc. is pretty amazing.

In apartments, I was trying to scope enemy soldiers.. I was looking for movement.. Leaves kept drifting down all around me, kept grabbing my eye, keeping me zooming all around, never comfortable.

Touches like that just might make this game great :)

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0
2011083100033.jpg

*Full sized pic*

My first impressions about tanking: Awesome. Note how I am the last one left, everyone else abroad is now a- gory mess..

If anyone is intrested, I have more screenshots, haven't uploaded them though.

That guy is missing his head!.. he must have been as blown away as me.

Other than technical issues, I love it. Everything seems to have a weight to it and the movement is very fluid. I love riddling people with the MG.

Upvote 0
initial impressions

initial impressions

Overall, it's a good start.

Leaving aside the server browser bugs and near-constant CTDs, other feedback:

I have zero interest in tank maps. I just want the infantry combat maps. I assume there is or will be a Filter option for that?

The infantry combat feels like it could be fun, but I've yet to find a server with anything other than single-death or limited waves combat, so getting a feel for the combat takes a lot longer since on average you spend less time actually fighting in these modes than you do in a more traditional respawn gametype.

The bolt-action rifle performance was initially frustrating (amplified by the single life aspect) because there were times i aimed directly at an enemy maybe 25 yards away and it didn't seem to register the hit. Perhaps I wounded him and he bandaged, who knows.

Assault class and close-quarters building combat seems to be the most satisfying and given the discouraging experience with rifles, I doubt I'd bother with longer-ranged combat again until the browser issues are sorted and i can sort and join servers with the gametype and low ping that would make it easier to learn ranged combat effectively.

On the plus side, I've never played RO before and was still able to get somewhat acquainted quickly enough to be an effective part of my team:
http://oi56.tinypic.com/282mhqr.jpg

I do hope the HUD continues to be improved and there's some way to open a squad selection screen (maybe there is, but i couldn't find it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So far my impressions are mixed. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for most of the bugs that I'm experiencing (which are numerous) due to the fact that it's beta. But one would think that most of these issues would have been touched on during the internal testing/closed beta. Between the server search screen freezing constantly while updating and the random crashes, actually getting into a game is a time-consuming chore.

Once I get in though, the game if great. I really enjoy the cover mechanic, and the "tunnel vision" view when ironsighted is helpful for focusing in on targets instead of pixel hunting.

I've only been able to play on Apartments as of yet, so I cannot comment on the tank battles (but I assume they shall be glorious). I've also stayed away from playing the Countdown mode yet, as I want to learn the maps before jumping into a gameplay style where I have only one life to live.

I do take issue with the clipping in regards to friendly players. I shouldn't be able to meld with another teammate to become a dual-weilding juggernaut (ok, so that doesn't happen, but you can stand inside your teammates). I get that they wanted to curb door blocking, but there must be a better way that doesn't kill the immersion.

One thing I've noticed is that I cannot use bandages. I don't know if it's a bug or if I get wounded past the threshold of being able to use it, but it will tell me when injured to use one and I can't. Then again it sometimes tells me to use a bandage when I'm dead, so I'm assuming it just throws that up on your screen when you're hit regardless of how bad it is.

Another thing that does irk me a bit is how people are seemingly able to run'n'gun. That was one of the staples of ROOst for me was that you couldn't just run around firing your gun off wildly and rack up kills. The steadiness of aiming in the game seems too unrealistic, but I may just be overanalyzing it and they were just getting lucky.

Since I only got to play about an hour and a half yesterday, I'm sure my opinions will change one way or another as I put more time into it. But these are my initial impressions.

Upvote 0
Overall a great game:

+nice graphices, steady fps
+nice WW2 atmosphere

-smg's are bit too powerful, especially at long range
-cover system not always works and is sometimes clumsy and slow
-huge lag on server browser
-many crashes on server browser
-terrible spawns, thus spawnkilling
-matches overall too short (depends on server though)
-countdown kinda boring
-i guess it's maybe me but camping gets rewarded. I run around all the time and flanking, i get more kills when i camp
-the weapon switch isn't smooth, cycling throught guns shouldn't go "smg-nade-pistol" but " smg-pistol-nade"
-the game sometimes just randomly, at any point in the game, switches my keyboard layout from azerty to qwerty. Thus dying and needing to rebind my keys. very annoying

Games i a currenly a 7/10 but can become a 9 or 10/10 ^^.

Upvote 0
I'm one for talking in game, and helping people who may not be getting into the game so well, for example, one player was getting frustrated about not being able to kill anything, so I told him, hit up smaller servers, get used to the mpas, weapons, etc, and then try larger servers later - but I was disapointed at the amount of comments "L2p noob" "u suxx" - we're testing a game, guys, work together, help people understand things, it all benefits TWI who worked so hard to give you this beta, so don't be rude to your fellow testers, share your knowledge and opinions. Obviously this is nothing to do directly with the beta, rather an opinion I wanted to

Really good observation. I was disappointed in this as well. When I finally got into a game, after much frustration and trouble, I had several questions about things I couldn't figure out. I asked repeatedly and no one bothered to respond. I figured people might not have the chat thing figured out yet, but then I realized they were chatting away about how their shot should have killed the other person or why so and so should switch roles because "they suck.". Seriously? We were less than one hour into the beta and people were being told to play a different rifle because the team was losing! Bizarre.

Upvote 0