• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank turret control via keyboard - thoughts and questions

LogisticEarth

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
RO 2 certainly has a lot of improvements over the original game, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it thus far, but probably the most problamatic thing for me is the fact that tank turrets can only be controlled with the mouse. I am an avid RO 1 and DH tanker, and the turret control puts me off a bit.

Now, I understand that the mouse control has a few advantages:
  • More intutitive for new players
  • Marginally more realistic in that it allows for easier turret movement over the horizontal and vertical simultaniously.
  • Simplified controls
  • Frees up WASD for tank movement command in the commander's role.
However, after tanking on the beta, it's aparrent to me the mouse control is also deficient for a few reasons:
  • MUCH more prone to unwanted movements
  • Hard to make fine adjustments
  • Doesn't feel as "tankey" (admittedly, this is simply personal taste)
I've heard a few other players also mention this. It's really annoying when you go to use your scroll wheel to change your view as commander, and you end up moving your gun a bit instead. Or when your hand shakes a little bit and you have trouble targeting something. Now, when playing as infantry, if your hand isn't completely accurate, that's fine and somewhat realistic, as using a rifle is a sort of art. However, a tank turret is not a rifle, and little shakes of the hand or impreciseness shouldn't cause it to move. It's a big block of heavy steel that's moved via hand cranks. It should only move when you want it to, and how you want it to.

What I propose is simple: Reintroduce the option to control the turret via keyboard command. You can keep WASD as movement command, which is fine, but there's two other common "directional" button locations on your average keyboard: The arrow keys, and the Numpad. I imagine it would be a simple thing to allow us to disable mouse control for turret movement, and rebind the controls to either of those key groups. And of course as always rebinding would allow people to customize thier controls.

My only worry is that the tanks in ROHOS have been developed in such a way as this is impossible or very difficult to implement. If this is the case, it would be very much appriciated if the devs could comment on it. That way we can "bite the bullet" as it were and just get used to mouse-tanking. I know the RO tanking community would like to know. :)

So, is this a possibility, or are we stuck?

Last edited:
+1 too. :)

WASD is much more accurate IMHO :)

I want to go a little bit OT:

I tanked yesterday and the day before in DH after some time of "pause" from RO & Co games and i noticed happily that it's IMPOSSIBLE to play a match without someone that complain about the damage system. In the 99,9% of cases the complainers are the players that play the german side (i play mainly with germans too) because their invincible tanks didn't oneshooted some allied tanks etc.....so, TWI, prepare psichologically yourselves for a lot of thread about "Pz IV G underpowered" talking about evil T-34s that don't explode after the first penetrating shot etc....(and i'm preparing myself too).

Damn, it's a plague, i killed a player in its Panther in 1 shot after receiving from it a crytical hit in my tank (but i survived, luckily) and he passed the subsequent 2-3 minutes complaining about the fact that the Panther should always oneshot a sherman (i was on Firefly) and that he should have won the duel and that the game is ****, that the axis is nerfed etc.....and this happens lot of time in every match.....and i have to justify/explain my kills when i play with the allies side.....:mad:.
So, again, be ready for complainers, good luck.

EDIT: i'm preparing for a storm of dislike lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Krator
Upvote 0
The one thing that bothers me the most about tanking is not being able to move the turret while un-buttoned as the commander/gunner. It was something I found incredibly useful in RO1, where I would un-button, search for an enemy tank, turn my turret towards that tank, then I would go down to the gun-sights.

I didn't even realize you can't do this anymore. This was also a favorite method of mine, to turn to the turret in the general direction of a tank spotted while unbuttoned, then sight it in. As far as I know this was how it was done in the real world as long as the tank was unbuttoned.

Anyway, the general idea in the OP seems to be getting some positive reaction from forum members, hopefully we can get some dev comment on it.

Upvote 0