• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

After a solid few hours of gameplay...

iTzDusty

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
there are some serious issues with the beta that did not seem apparent in the months of beta youtube footage.

However, Ill start on a more positive note. The English VOs are pretty good, the sound design is damn amazing, and the performance in game is pretty good for beta code. Plus, tunnel vision is awesome, and even on medium settings, war movie filter is probably the most aesthetically pleasing filter Ive seen in a game.

Now, the problems. A big one is the server browser. Ridiculous. Crashes with miniscule movement, and does not react to my attempts of sorting by ping, map, etc. Now this is massive, because it severely limits the testers ability to, you know, test :rolleyes: .

Fine, lets get into an actual game after being lucky enough to have a friend in a game that I can join through steam community.

I put my FOV up to 75, and lay down next to some sandbags. My view clipped through them, and I could "wallhack" the opposing team, while also losing a bit of spatial awareness. Whatever, graphics bugs, doesn't matter. I press escape to change a class, and a permanent blue crosshair is on my left portion of the screen for the rest of the match. Meh, Ill ignore it.

Lets try respawning? No. Oh, now I respawned after the 2nd or 3rd wave. Whatever, minor glitch, Im still playing.

Lets use the cover system. Works, 75% of the time. The rest? Clipping, clipping, clipping, and weird glitches with the height of your weapon with the cover (popping your face up into sandbags wont help you shoot :D )

Now bear in mind, I'm still enjoying the game at this point. Oh look, now its a server map change. No one can play the map once it loads, we just get a nice view of Apartments. Everyone leaves to go to the hellish server browser.

Browse, crash, rage.

Im willing to give it another shot in the morning, and I hope there are mid beta patches that will alleviate game breaking issues.

Just what went through my mind as I played today. It's quite fun, but is borderline unplayable right now, and I was just surprised since I never saw these issues in unedited closed beta footage (which played exactly the same way as I did, pressing Escape and all, but not getting those bugs?)

What are all your impressions after a solid session?

Well, bugs are to be expected from beta code. But there are many reports of issues...I'd have no problem with TWI delaying the game again if the issues prove too numerous/difficult to iron out for a stable release.

---
yeah a stable release is most important. 99% of the hundreds of thousands AA3 players left the game for good because the release was unstable, and now the game has about 300 players online at the best time.

Upvote 0
I've only clipped with an object while trying to button to cover once.

Seemed to happen when I tried to hit it at an odd angle or something.

That said, it is a beta, and it's been thrown out ASAP for us to tinker with. It's not perfect yet. I've found that if you just leave the server browser alone until it fully loads it usually works without trouble.

Upvote 0
This game quite frankly put me to sleep. Can you believe that!?

its 12:30 and i want to go to bed; i never go to bed before 2:00. Interestingly i had just made a post a few days ago saying how Red Orchestra was the only FPS to give me an adrenaline rush; RO2 instead is giving me a Valium rush lol

I dont know what it is. Im gonna try again tomorrow; maybe this whole c2d bulls*** put me in the wrong mindset. Otherwise im just gonna stop with the beta and wait for the full game and some decent maps...

Upvote 0
yeah a stable release is most important. 99% of the hundreds of thousands AA3 players left the game for good because the release was unstable, and now the game has about 300 players online at the best time.

Exactly, that is my main concern. AA3 had potential, but it still is a buggy mess. While RO2 isnt on that level, two weeks from release in this state is a little worrisome. Though Im SURE TWI can slave away for those two weeks :)

Upvote 0
This game quite frankly put me to sleep. Can you believe that!?

Sadly, yes. Im feeling exactly like you. I was pumped for this, had to put up with Shaw throttling my internet like the tyrannical asses they are, and kind of got mad, not at the game, because it is awesome, but simply to 10-15 C2Ds i had. Im a morning person so I might be able to do 3-4 hours with my morning patience :D

Upvote 0
Honestly I haven't had as much trouble as the OP is saying he had.. Maybe its PC based or something.. I've seen a little clipping here and there but nothing that would let me see through walls and or shoot through them. I absolutely love the cover system and it seems to work most of the time unless you're trying to peek over or around something that you just shouldn't be then it gets a little weird.

As for the server thing, it has to be some sort of memory leak thing or something because of all the servers its trying to load, in the private closed beta there wasn't that many servers so they couldn't possibly know this was going to happen. I found if I filtered out empty servers and full servers etc it works just fine. The server thing seems to be working from GPU so maybe they can set it to software or something and better optimize it so it isn't so glitchy and choppy.

Obviously the ping filtering and player/ server name filtering isn't implemented yet or its bugged out. I ALWAYS filter servers by ping when I play fps's and that was the first thing I noticed was that I couldn't click "ping" and filter it from lowest to highest. I have no doubt that they will put that in asap. It's a unreal engine 3 game it shouldn't be hard to put in as most server browsers on this engine have it built into it like in unreal tournament 3.

Anyway after getting tons of server browser crashes then fixing my issue I played for about 4-5 hours straight on one server and had the time of my life. Such a good game, sure there are bugs but that is to be expected right? Report every bug that you can reproduce so we can have the most stable release possible in two weeks guys!

Seeya on the battlefield!

Upvote 0
also if any of you are having FPS issues you can turn off depth of field in the ini file and it gives you quite a big fps boost as depth of field is an fps hog.

To find this file on windows 7 its under:

Documents/My Games/UnrealEngine3/ROGame/Config and the file is ROEngine.ini

do a control+F and type in depth and press find it'll be the first thing and set it to false.

I'm able to run the game in ultra settings with awesome FPS with it off, my setup is a i5 2500k, 8gb ram, 2 x Radeon HD 5850's in crossfire. I do love the way depth of field looks though so its hard to give it up.

Upvote 0