• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Serious Squad/Clan Planning

Dobb

Aug 29, 2010
Kinda confused on what to put for my title that encapsulates the point I'm putting forward in.

Basically I have my bunch of friends who like to form a clan to play. Now, immersion is such a big deal in RO1 to the point that people made servers and clans based on real or fictional named army such as the 29th Infantry Division or the 82nd Airbourne. I really enjoy that because it gives you a sense of camaraderie like brothers in arms.

Maybe this is more towards people who played mil-sim such as ARMA2 or BF: Project Reality, but I tend to see people designating roles and even ranks, something that I don't see even in famous shooters like BFBC2.

Friends of mine think it's a big hassle to think about all that, especially preplanning for strategy in the game because the game will definitely change and planning on the fly is generally smarter and fluid.

I like to disagree but I can't help it could be true. Shooters now are too fast and fluid to think about putting forth a pre-planned strategy.

What do you guys with squads/clans do then? Did you all plan who's the fireteam, motto, FNG? Or actually just derp and let it all go and have fun?

Well it's a bit hard for me to say for RO2 since i haven't played it yet but good tactics aren't really solid plans. It's more about delivering a line of defence or attack with layers. If one guy goes down you got another guy a little bit further back to cover or a cross fire covering position. If you all charge in together in one big push you run the risk of all dying and giving the other team a considerable amount of time to reposition in more advantageous spots. I am referring to a re spawn game mode.

Really getting to know your team and learning how to flow with your voice communications. Really is the best tactic.

Upvote 0
yea the best way to go about it is to have ppl in ur squad/clan being good, and everyone having good communication etc. it is good to have maybe one or two guys being leaders and what not but maybe not throwing out orders and what have you.

with that being said, i love teamplay and strive for it, my steam name is Flavin01, add me if ud like, you watch my back and ill watch yours. I'm currently looking at 2 clans right now one is for realism one is casual, im trying to decide which one would be the best fit for the long run.

PS. Watching the movie HEAT right now, great movie about bank robbers, and they lay out a good plan and execute it but they all know what to do when **** goes wroung without having to take orders. How id like my squad to be.

Upvote 0
Usually whatever worked during the time-period works in the game. A lot of training goes into roles and positioning and "working around the terrain" while a bit is trial, error, and getting to know your squad-mates in order to pull your head through when things go bad. Common sense and being able to read your enemy is always the most important. Of course personal skill adds an edge, but the training and unit cohesion and the ability to be flexible goes for miles.

Upvote 0
I love all your responses. Thanks for all the tips.

These buddies of mine aren't newbies in first person shooters, it's just they're not used to realistic shooters with more tactical elements thrown in. I can say we're good at adapting to changes but that's only at the surface level.

It's just a shame these guys don't feel like reading up about real world squad-based tactics and refuse to pay heed to any form of orders. I know I can't force someone to become a certain role though some are pretty selfish, so I'm not surprise they'll be stunned at class limiters in the game, that'll force them to re-adapt into another role altogether.

I remember in basic we're all taught to remember our training. To the point that it'll be doable even in your sleep. I suppose that's really hard to think about when you're playing a game instead.

Upvote 0
Some of the great generals said:
Every tactic or plan goes to hell after the first couple of shots!

Planning is very important, but what usually makes a good clan/squad/guild is the ppl in it to be able to react to the situation quick.

p.s. about the thing you said about the roles. In the 29th we have this because it's tested and works for DH at least.

Upvote 0
Generally complex teamwork isnt necessary. Teamwork can be as simple as defending or attacking in unison but in an effective manner. Concentrating defenders in one position without making it easy for a grenade to kill you all, getting small groups into CQB with the enemy instead of single players throwing themselves suicidally at the enemy with nobody there to follow up the breaches they make, etc.

You dont need voice chat or organised clans to make this happen, just intelligent players and some good players for them to follow.

Upvote 0
Think about what your objectives would be and that will really help.

Beyond just the class limiters in the game, what's your guys/gals ultimate goal? Just playing together or do you want to grow?

The roles thing, while some clans get really, really hardcore in, are a good way to define who is what and who is doing what.

A lot of units have hierarchy's that are stricter in nature than others and some that are more free flowing, but the ultimate thing is that is what works for those units.

Bigger units tend to be more formalized and more defined in rank/responsibilities b/c those units typically have a LOT more to deal with just from a sheer numbers standpoint (from my experience).
Other, smaller units are sometimes able to be looser, more flexible and some veer to starting and keeping a stricter role/responsibility. Again, a lot of this is going to be the personalities and compromising done to start/maintain the unit.

Ultimately look at what you and your friends really want to do and if you want to do it for the long term and if you guys/gals are willing to put in the effort. It won't be easy but typically it's totally worth it.

As far as scrims/battles/etc. those usually feed from the above. Some units/groups practice for hours at a time with themselves and go over things repeatedly (usually a good thing) so that when the time comes it'll be like your basic, when the **** hits the fan you can keep going.

How this all translates into RO2 will be determined by the game, the game modes you pick to scrim with and what you want to do.

G'luck.

Upvote 0