• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best quality of German voices soldiers in WWII game

You have many accents in germany.

and this is also not prussian dialect in the first "video". The prussian had a hard "R" but you will find these dialect very rarely today. still remember some grandmothers who spoke like that and its really cool ^^

My grandfather had many people from different parts of germany and also czech people and austrians. So there is no standard wehrmacht takling ;)

Also we don't always scream when we talk....

Upvote 0
Hochdeutsch, i.e. the standard run-of-the-mill news-anchor German accent is Hannoveran. Prussian sounds very different. Although, of course, to a Bavarian everything that sounds remotely like it's from northern Germany sounds "Prussian"...:p

The German voice in RO1 had a Frankonian accent, which is Bavarian but it sounds very different from what people would normally categorize as Bavarian, which sounds more Munichian.

The WaW Germans in the video sound ridiculous, btw. No one ever talks like that. It's not "intense" it's "evil cartoon German", which fits the game perfectly, I guess, but it doesn't sound natural at all.

RO1 had a great voice for the Germans. Young, but not childish, regional accent, good acting...
The only complaint I have is that it's only one guy. A couple of different voices (with a couple of different accents) would have been better and more realistic, obviously, but aside from that the voice was really good.

Upvote 0
Combat Mission had some great voices even though very old game. Awesome engine sounds too btw.

0:13 PANZA !!! :D
0:20 GUTEN SCHUSSS !!!!!!!!!

Combat Mission Infantry Ambush Part 1 - YouTube

you just brought me back straight to sweet late 2002, 2003. :)
what a great game, spent so much hours on it. truly one of the best eastern front games, along with east front 2 by talonsoft and RO. (Beyond Overlord was great as well).

sorry for OT, just had to thank ya.

Upvote 0
you just brought me back straight to sweet late 2002, 2003. :)
what a great game, spent so much hours on it. truly one of the best eastern front games, along with east front 2 by talonsoft and RO. (Beyond Overlord was great as well).

sorry for OT, just had to thank ya.

No problem brah, it's nice to see that the vid I've posted has brought someone good memories and affection about past experience of combat mission.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hochdeutsch, i.e. the standard run-of-the-mill news-anchor German accent is Hannoveran. Prussian sounds very different. Although, of course, to a Bavarian everything that sounds remotely like it's from northern Germany sounds "Prussian"...:p

Actually there is no "Prussian" accent/dialect if you wouldn't count East-Prussian which I don't know what it sounded like. In "Core Prussia" (=Berlin and Brandenburg) they have the distinctive Berliner accent ("icke, wee

Upvote 0
Interesting. Come to think of it, what I perceive as Prussian does have similarities with Berlinian.

Franconian is not Bavarian... it just happens to be spoken in parts of modern day Bavaria. RO1 German do have a Bavarian accent. You can clearly hear the typical R- and Ending E-pronounciation like in "Danke".
Well, politically it's Bavarian. At least for now.;) Which is why I was willing to make the concession of counting the voice as Bavarian although it's clearly Franconian.

I'm sure the RO1 voice actor is from Middlefranconia though.

Agreed. I like the idea of putting regional accents to the game... but personally I prefer other accents like Rhenish or Northern German ones so a little more variety would have been great.
Yes. I like how in UT2004 you had the choice of your voice set. You could pick "robot" even if you were playing as a "female mercenary" character. Something like this, where you could have selected your accent from a list of available ones, would have been perfect.
Maybe too much to ask for, considering most players probably don't even speak the native languages at all, let alone can tell the difference between accents, but in a perfect world that option would have been there.:)

Maybe even with a slider for pitch, as in Operation Flashpoint, but a little more restricted so we don't get armies of Barry Whites and chipmunks.:p

Upvote 0
I really liked the voices in MOHAA game. And considering how old this game is it's amazing that it had about 4-5 different voices for each command and sound just awesome.
I absolutely loved this particular one at 1:11 - Rechte flanke angereifen !!!!!!

Especially with the Scientist skin. :D

I still play that game all the time. If not for that skin and the Officer, I probably wouldn't bother with the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: aesdana
Upvote 0