• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German magical AT rifle

He said that he damaged that tank. And since russian PTRD can easily penetrate Pz IV side, then what is german "answer" to this? Run those 100m and use a magnetic mine? Good luck with this. In DH people won't let you get that close to the tank 90% of the time, and RO players aren't less intelligent than them I guess.
The German answer would have been the Granatb

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have pre-ordered the game and will be enjoying it. But part of the attraction for me was the historical accuracy. The MKb42s and a German PTRS being a standard weapon detracts from the immersion, at least for me.

The reload time and general effectiveness of the SMGs at close range (as seen in the beta footage) is a concern of mine as well.

Why have the German AT rifle class at all if it can't harm the single Russian tank? My guess is that they've taken some liberties here as well.

On the subject of the GrB 39 though, why choose such a hefty platform for a grenade launcher? I can see them converting all the obsolete guns to GrBs but why produce more when they needlessly weigh a ton? I can only assume that they weren't really used on a large scale, and that they were just temporary placeholserds until the Panzershcreck, Faust, Schiessbecher and other grenade platforms arrived.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have pre-ordered the game and will be enjoying it. But part of the attraction for me was the historical accuracy. The MkB42s and a German PTRS being a standard weapon detracts from the immersion, at elast for me.

The reload time and general effectiveness of the SMGs at close range is a concern of mine as well.

It's off topic, but SMGs are supposed to be absolutely superior close range. The balance being they aren't terribly effective at longer ranges, and they are a very limited class in any traditional game mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't really understand what the problem is. The tank didn't even look like it took damage and he even said he wouldn't do much damage at the range, so for all we know he just scratched the paint. To me it looks like AT is going to play more of a support role; maybe through spotting and wounding in conjunction with tank crews, or even using that mine in some situations.

Obviously a tank is going to be the better choice against another tank, so maybe this is more of a middle ground between vehicles and regular infantry to prevent an all out steamroll (maybe you have no vehicles at the moment, but you can still slow the enemy down with something).

I'll wait for the beta before I pass final judgement on it :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh just give the Germans their S-18/100 already! :D

s189mt.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Red Orchestra 2 - Live-Demo - w. Tony Gillham - Games-Panorama HD - YouTube

- as we can see in this video, the rifle is supposed to "damage" the tank while firing at its 45mm slightly angled lower side hull.
My question (and concern) is: why does this weapon penetrate T34 side? I don't know of any WW2 AT rifle capable of penetrating armor this thick, maybe the more powerful Solothurn, but its not in game. Or was 14,5mm bullet THAT powerful (something I don't know about)?
And what is this weapon? It seems semi auto, 4-5 shot. PTRS?
It also seems that we won't see any german-specific AT weapon (rifle grenades)... Maybe in the future?

AT grenades are shown in the video you link. Rifle grenades weren't usually AT.

Upvote 0
AT grenades are shown in the video you link. Rifle grenades weren't usually AT.

I think the Gewehr panzergranate (30 and Grosse 40) was issued in 1943 and were largely inaccurate and impractical due to limited range.

There may have been a hollow charge type grenade before that as well, but I would imagine that it was even worse.

It would still have provided a nice asymmetrical balance with the germans having inferior AT rifles while some riflemen could carry AT rifle grenades which would require skill or luck to be effective.

For the S-18, take a look at these two videos, pretty cool:
Solothurn 20mm anti-tank rifle - YouTube
nazi 20 mm SOLOTHURN S 18 100 ANTI TANK SEMI AUTO RIFLE - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0