• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Q regarding player deaths in tanks

Baine

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Hello,

I have two questions regarding the death of players in tanks.

Now from the videos we saw, if a player is alone in the tank with AI. What exactly happens when he dies? I mean if he switches to the next position, does that give the enemy the opportunity to kill the same guy 4 times theoretically?

And then when it comes to 3 human players in a tank. When one of them or two of them die. What about respawn? I mean do they have to wait until the tank is dead/scuttled so they can all three tank together again?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before.

From what i've seen tanks never just catch on fire and the crew die. They always explode spectacularly. Even DH had tanks catching on fire, does this not happen in Ro2?

Also from the tank gameplay i've seen where a crewmen dies and you crawl to his position his body is nowhere to be seen and this gore that has been spoken about while inside a tank, all i've seen is blood on the walls. Is that all the gore that is in the game? Because much much worse happens in tanks when they are hit and a crewman is wounded. :/

Upvote 0
So if the crew is fully human, do you have to wait for the tank to be destroyed before respawning? I'm guessing here, but the sensible alternative would be to spawn the tank crewman as regular infantry, so they aren't waiting a long time.

Ofcourse, this could cause complications if the tank is destroyed, and the remaining players in it respawn in a new tank, where 1 crewman would be missing. But he may be replaced by an AI crewman.

More infomation is needed.

Upvote 0
Are you referring to the second question? If yes, then that would mean a tank is pretty much unkillable if not destroyed through modules. So killing the whole crew is not an option then?

Godo point!

On the other hand, if one had to wait for the tank to be destroyed, one could be waiting for a while, while his tankmates stay alive.

Personally, I would prefer them not respawning, but I don't think TWI wants to make tankcombat mostly a waiting game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what i've seen tanks never just catch on fire and the crew die. They always explode spectacularly. Even DH had tanks catching on fire, does this not happen in Ro2?

Also from the tank gameplay i've seen where a crewmen dies and you crawl to his position his body is nowhere to be seen and this gore that has been spoken about while inside a tank, all i've seen is blood on the walls. Is that all the gore that is in the game? Because much much worse happens in tanks when they are hit and a crewman is wounded. :/

We haven't seen any tanks hit in the engine yet, much of its just been shooting at the front or aiming for the treads.

Upvote 0
if you get killed by a penetrating shot (or you stuck your head outside when you should not have) you will possess the body of another person in the vehicle, like an agent in the matrix.

sources - the recent tanking video somewhere on the front page of general (nestor mahkno was being interviewed) and the very first inter- scratch that, it didn't explicitly mention it in there, although it was explained about 2 days later ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if you get killed by a penetrating shot (or you stuck your head outside when you should not have) you will possess the body of another person in the vehicle, like an agent in the matrix.

sources - the recent tanking video somewhere on the front page of general (nestor mahkno was being interviewed) and the very first inter- scratch that, it didn't explicitly mention it in there, although it was explained about 2 days later ;)

Yeah i know, but that only goes for tankers with AI crew.

The main question is, what happens when you play with humans.

Upvote 0
There's no point in killing soldiers if they can respawn at the squadleader, a few seconds later.
No point killing them at all, if they respawn in a predefined spot a few seconds later. Which makes this argument in its own right pointless, so lets not go off topic.

@Maizel: I doubt you will respawn in a tank in a dead crewmans place, as there would be no benefit to killing crewmen, except a temporary one in the current 1 on 1 engagement. I have faith in TW making a reasonable alternative.

Ofcourse, if someone from TWI wants to come down here and put this thread straight, I'd be very happy about this. ;)

Upvote 0
If you are killed in a tank with one or more alive AI crewmembers you will take their spot.

If all the remaining crew are players you will have to wait until either the tank enters a resupply/spawn zone or the tank is destroyed/all crew killed and it respawns.

Unconfirmed: You may get an option to respawn in another active tank that has an AI crewmember or even respawn in an entirely new tank with all AI crew, in which case when your previous player crew are all dead they would respawn in your new tank taking the AI crew places.

Upvote 0
@Maizel: I doubt you will respawn in a tank in a dead crewmans place, as there would be no benefit to killing crewmen, except a temporary one in the current 1 on 1 engagement. I have faith in TW making a reasonable alternative.

They could use the same system for it as for the infantry.

The infantry respawns at the squad leader when he is out of combat.

The crew could respawn in the tank, when out of combat at all.

I don't really care about tanks, one way or another.

Upvote 0