• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Request- more VO to replace status messages

DanMaksim

Jul 13, 2011
One of the things I liked the most about RO:OST was the minimalist HUD. It does a *LOT* to add to immersion. I disabled just about the entire HUD in that game and I loved it.

In RO2, it looks like whenever a team captures an objective, gets reinforced, artillery is incoming, etc a large bar of text appears center-screen to notify you.

My request: Post-launch, would it be possible to record some additional VO so that we at least have the option of disabling this text, so we can *hear* this information instead? For example, rather than have the text "AXIS HAVE CAPTURED SECOND FLOOR" display on your screen, you'd hear a russian/german commander *say* this information. I know VO recording can be expensive, but I'd like to remove as many HUD elements as possible when I get my RO2 on. =]

Edit: Realized this might be too costly, and might suck for modders/mapmakers. How about an option to hear VO that just says "point captured!" instead of the text? Would only have to record 2-4 lines of VO instead of a zillion.

Last edited:
Also, they'd only be likely to record one phrase for each side for each objective taken.

That's going to grate on your nerves pretty quickly when objectives are being won/lost/rewon several times in a single match.

I'm all in favour of a minimalist HUD, but I think there would be other drawbacks were this suggestion to be implemented.

Upvote 0
True... it might be too much to ask to record VO for each "Team X has captured objective Y" message. It just occured to me that this would suck for modders/mapmakers as well, since they wouldn't have those VO announcements.

But how about a generic "point captured" message for each side in lieu of the text message? In a map with multiple objectives, you could just check your map quickly if you weren't sure which was captured. In countdown, it'd always be clear.

Upvote 0
So I can be like the telepathic scout on a TF2 payload map, who will say "THE FREAKIN' CART STOPPED" even if he's nowhere near the cart?

I'd rather there be options to make the "THE --- HAS CAPTURED THE ---" small. Maybe have soldiers nearby/in the objective say "WE'VE CAPTURED/LOST THE ---!". But the game should make people who aren't near an objective aware that it is being taken with text. Telepathic soldiers would not really be a good idea...

Upvote 0
It seems like this is an area where TWI decided to put gameplay above realism. Looks like soldiers will be kept aware of what the current objective is at all times.

Telepathic soldiers would not really be a good idea...

If a soldier *reads text* that informs them about objective status instead of *hearing* it, how is that any less "telepathic"? =]

Upvote 0