• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A question concerning Forum-avatars (Soliderpics)

Spocki

Aug 21, 2011
Hello,
I just write down my thoughts here, please nobody shall feel insulted or offended.

I recognized that alot, really ALOT of forummembers use original german photos of soldiers of the wehrmacht back in world war II.
Most of these members are not german, saw alot of australians that use it.

May I ask why and how you do that?
Do you go to google and type "german wehrmacht soldier" in it and use this photos as avatar here and then put a name under it, that isnt even the name of this soldier?

You dont know anything about these men on the pictures, they may have family or even themself that wouldnt be happy about the fact, some human taking their photos to put it as avatar on this side.

Sorry about my english, but I would go directly to the police or the german gouverment when there would be a member that uses pictures of my family just to say "oh hey, lets put a picture of a foreign soldier as avatar just to say I play red orchestra"

I be ashamed for you, really.
When you produce a game about the second world war, with fictitious soldiers in it that are animated its one thing, but the men on your avatars have or had a real life and it was not in their intention that their face will be used by some gamers so they will feel like real soldiers in this moment.

It would really interest me, why you do that.
You dont honour them with it.

would you feel the same if they used Russian soldier images?
just asking - i dont really have an opinion on this subject - was just wondering if it is the fact they are German that is the problem.
I would understand russian families, that also have the same thought, yes.

I can only speak for myself, because I am german and have alot of photos of Soldiers in my family, portrayphotos like these some members use as avatar here you know.

Its not that the soldiers are german, why I picked that nation. Its the fact that its closer that it COULD be one of my forebears (I hope there are no photos in the internet) and because that I thought about it.

Upvote 0
I like how you know what honors them and what doesn't.....

You've got some sort of spiritual connection?
Well would you like to have your dead relative's, who fought in the war, picture running around as a forum avatar here? :rolleyes:

OP makes a good observation... :D

Shout out to Nebsif

Upvote 0
The average intelligence of people on this forum is disheartening. Do we really have nothing else to talk about?

On an unrelated note:

Tripwire really deserves better fans.

And who's inteligence exactly are you questioning? Be more specific please

Because I think the OP has a valid point, I always assumed the avatars were coming from movies etc, in which case I would not have any objection.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
OP what it sounds like your saying to me that if you were a soldier that you would be offended if someone used your picture as there avatar. legally most of those pictures are public domain. however your arguing with the morality of it, frankly that argument could go on forever.

i can't even say if i agree or disagree with you here i mostly just don't care. :cool:

Upvote 0
I dont really get the problem here. You could also think that it honors them to be remembered and being aware of the history?

That's also how I feel about it... Those photos happened to be used in newspapers, documentary films and so on. I don't think we soil their memory by posting their photos since we take them for what where meant to: to get an image of the war.

Upvote 0
I agree. There is no problem with movie characters or reenactment soldiers of course, but real persons shouldn't be used as avatars.
I wouldn't like to see someone using (for example) my grandfathers as their avatar.

Well I think it's allright when you use group photos where the focus isn't on anyone specific (plus you can't identify faces on those pictures) imo

Upvote 0