• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Downloaded maps/mods - where are they saved?

I plan on installing Win 7 these next few days and I am in the process of backing up my data. I am wondering where the maps/mods are stored when they download from servers in game? Are all the files in the cache folder?

Hah, I'm gonna do the same later today :D Good you reminded about the RO folder since I was going to wipe off pretty much everything.

Downloaded maps/mods are saved nowhere. I'm not familiar with the terms but it has something to do with "cache" as the game redownload every custom thingy once a month (default). So you need a cache extractor. Really easy to use, just replace KF info with RO :)

Upvote 0
Downloaded maps/mods are saved nowhere. I'm not familiar with the terms but it has something to do with "cache" as the game redownload every custom thingy once a month (default). So you need a cache extractor. Really easy to use, just replace KF info with RO :)

Actually I once read that the monthly clearing of the cache could be turned off if you change something in one of the setup files (.ini?). However I have not since been able to find where I read it, and noone I has asked seems to know about the existence of this feature.

Upvote 0
I plan on installing Win 7 these next few days and I am in the process of backing up my data. I am wondering where the maps/mods are stored when they download from servers in game? Are all the files in the cache folder?

Yes they are all kept in the cache folder

To prevent them being cleaned out every 30 days, go into the RedOrchestra.ini and change this setting from 30 to 0

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30

Then you won't have to use the cache extractor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can even copy the complete RO folder, (and any other Steam games you have) and dump it back into Steam once thats been re-installed.

Really? That is interesting and convenient if you have the HDD space for all of your games. For now I just copied my entire cache folder. Hopefully that is good enough.

With luck Win 7 will install right and I can be playing RO without having to download all those maps/server mods. :p

Upvote 0
It won't and you will have to download all the mods/maps again, because their are other files installed into the system folder, and 3-4 other folders as well, whenever you download/play a mod or a map, thats why i suggested backingup the whole RO folder.
But i have been known to be wrong and since i've never actually done it your way, you never know, let us know if it works

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It won't and you will have to download all the mods/maps again, because their are other files installed into the system folder, and 3-4 other folders as well, whenever you download/play a mod or a map, thats why i suggested backingup the whole RO folder.
But i have been known to be wrong and since i've never actually done it your way, you never know, let us know if it works

Too late for me. :eek: Installed Windows 7 already. Going to uninstall and reinstall Vista 64bit if I can reactivate the key.

Upvote 0