• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question about the AI

Angry Hillbilly

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hampshire, England
Because RO2 has a single playing campaign mission (a very awesome looking one from what ive seen) I was wondering what is the AI of the soldiors going to be like in comparision to RO1? Because I dont mean it in any way horribly but the AI in RO1 was at times a little pants :(

Will they have set sort of scripts where they will defend areas and adapt or will they be free-roam like before? Its just the moods a little ruined when u have yours as well as enemy troops running into the middle of a street standing there firing out of any sort of cover eating into tickets :S

I figure RO1 bots were modified UT2004 AI code, and so they were not exactly purposed for piloting vehicles through complicated geometry or taking cover.

This time around I think they've probably written the AI from scratch and put in specific measures that prevent things such as AI tank crew driving tanks into trenches etc.

Upvote 0
I am sure they have improved them, but they still did not impress me in the trailers.

In RO1 the bots were terrible even at the hardest level. There was 4 enemies grouped away from me. I simply rushed them (They even had SMGs) and bayonetted them to death.

Then later they rifle-snipe me with one single shot from 200m.

Upvote 0
No one can really tell you since none of us have played it yet, you're in the same boat as us, i don't know where people expect all this knowledge to come from

It will be better i think its safe to say that

But just don't expect a true single player campaign, i doubt it unless there's a lot of scripting we haven't been told about.

Upvote 0
The bots in RO were about as bad as the bots in Battlefield 2. Neither TW nor Dice really paid that much attention to the SP experience because it was considered a practice mode through and through. Practice modes don't need great bots...they need functional ones.

DICE eventually went back to their AI for Bad Company 1 and 2, and I really hope TW went back to theirs. Mentioning your SP beyond saying it exists implies they care about its quality, and the bots are a key part of that. I can't play more than 10 minutes of practice in RO1 before I'm bored to tears because they never do anything different....and I'm a person who enjoys playing against decent bots. Them getting stuck into walls or trying to jump over stuff, I hope, isn't anywhere to be found.

Upvote 0
I can't play more than 10 minutes of practice in RO1 before I'm bored to tears because they never do anything different....and I'm a person who enjoys playing against decent bots. Them getting stuck into walls or trying to jump over stuff, I hope, isn't anywhere to be found.

Yea i found that with RO1 as well its really just only good for finding out the mechanics of it. I mean im not expecting Exceptinal amazing best AI ever cus i know AI is no easy feat to program but as long as they act semi real useing cover and thinkin about their best move (i use the word thinking loosely :p) im fine with it :)

Upvote 0