• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About the tank vision blocks

LegTaste

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
image018.png

The lower vision block, to the left of the hand, it has a little lever on the top, could someone tell me what it is. I'm working on a tiger tank model, and these are seen on the cupola vision block enclosures of a tiger (despite being quite different the function will be the same), and i just have no idea what they do.

Also while I'm at it, this game has tank interiors unlike any other game, and they've done a very good job. But they look a bit too rough and weathered i think.

I'm not demanding they change anything, just saying.

Last edited:
I'm not asking whose vision ports they are, i would like to know what the the little lever things on top do. I just assumed there might be some of these historian types that like to give critique on all the small details, who might possess the knowledge i require so i dont have to go and join some tank or scale model forums to find out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The blocks are filled with multiple thick layers of glass there are no moving parts inside, the glass is what offers the protection, although it can break, which is why replacements were stored in the tank.

Actually, i suppose that could be a quick release for the actual vision block, that would make sense.

There's just hardly any information about them online, its even possible the TW blokes who modeled the tank didn't know what it does.

Now that would be quite good to include in the game, say the tank suffers damage to a vision block, the ability to replace it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can confirm that it is indeed a release handle for anyone who may be interested, the diagrams (for a different tank) i had were so blurry, but it appears like it would have read Freigabe Hebel which is the best i can work out from google translate and appears to fit.

This also leads me to believe the model in the picture is severely lacking. There should be an enclosure for the vision block, and some sort of hinge with a plate that holds the glass block in place, you will then release the lever, the front opens up and the the vision block will slide out. All i can think is that TW were limited with the references they could work from.

Edit:
Ignore the bit about it being wrong, its not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0