• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-DeadSnow

Very simple. Quality visuals. I like the slip & slide and the fact you can fall to your death.

The balance of having specimen fall from the top of the map is fine, but I wonder if there is a way to conceal them or have it make more sense.

The spawning has been the most difficult for me in this map. All the betas i've released is mainly due to spawning being too slow. I had them jump up from the bottom of the mountain. It looked pretty good but for some reason the spawn was very slow. So I decided to put them in the sky.

Another idea to spawn the zeds was to have them sort of pop out of the terrain, but that will cause people to camp those spots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The spawning has been the most difficult for me in this map. All the betas i've released is mainly due to spawning being too slow. I had them jump up from the bottom of the mountain. It looked pretty good but for some reason the spawn was very slow. So I decided to put them in the sky.

Another idea to spawn the zeds was to have them sort of pop out of the terrain, but that will cause people to camp those spots.

I totally understand. Game balance is more important than the details, and I think the balance is fine.
Played it with about 7 others on Netsky. Lots of fun.

Crawlers coming down the chimney is also LULZy :D

Upvote 0
Might want to check this out. I recommend making a back up of your map before you start trying it in a map if you use it.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=47407

It is a whitelisted triggerpack that level designers can use to spice up their maps. I am using it on one of my maps to add more Zeds at once to increase the pressure on players. If you have the time/patience and set it up correctly, you could have extra spawns be completely different depending on the game difficulty and number of players playing or alive.

Reactions: _Duke_
Upvote 0
Might want to check this out. I recommend making a back up of your map before you start trying it in a map if you use it.

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=47407[/URL]

It is a whitelisted triggerpack that level designers can use to spice up their maps. I am using it on one of my maps to add more Zeds at once to increase the pressure on players. If you have the time/patience and set it up correctly, you could have extra spawns be completely different depending on the game difficulty and number of players playing or alive.

Thanx Slavek, I'll check this out. If this works I'll be very happy.

Upvote 0
This maps amazing please whitelist it

I posted it for whitelisting because you took the time to make an account and posted your first post to say this. Thanks!

I realize there is a clipping problem on the roof and players might even be able to get to roof. I think its not game breaking because the specimens can spawn in the sky and fall on the roof.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this great Work :IS2:

One Question:

Can you consider the idea that the specimens jump from inside the Terrain as in the map Survival made by Mr.Robot?

A graphical example :D:D:D

jumppad.jpg

Upvote 0
that seems hard, especially when you have to pick staticmesh's angle facing the light (like how you did with the shadow of snowman's nose) because if you changed your mind of changing the light position you will ended up editing them again on photoshop

The angle of the shadow can be manually adjusted by the project itself, so long as you don't turn the snowman, same image. If you adjust the light, move the position of the projector and it will compensate for it.

Upvote 0
Skybox is a little obvious its a skybox, make sure the Skyzoneinfo is in the direct middle of the skybox not the floor, and that the brush is in ratio with the pixel dimensions of the texture. so 512x512 units if its 1024 or 512 or whatever it be. Looks like a skybox generated from Terragen, its a nice program. Looks fun though

After playing it, I think its a little odd how there's 3 pickups with 10 feet of eachother and in the safest place in the map. 1 seems to be a random item spawn and the others are constant, maybe its 2 random spawns and armor. Idk about the other items but the armor respawns way to fast, if you want it to always spawn and not rely on the game difficulty to make it disappear, at least put it somewhere hard to reach or dangerous. You'll notice in foundry and bedlam and such there are ammo spawns that are tucked tight in corners, so you have to go out of your way a bit to get them. The armor is right up against the wall but its still inside and upstairs where you can grab it, jump out the balcony and get away without going out of your way much to get to it. Aside advising to relocate some of those things or make them spawn based on difficulty mode; I'd definitely recommend the spawning from beneath suggestion. That would be pretty dope and somewhat scary/realistic. Falling from the sky makes them look like they came from outer space or something aha. Also a pinch of tasteful fog would add alot of atmosphere and make it look like its higher in altitude. If you can find some ice sickle meshes somewhere, that would be a nice touch to the outside of the cabin, too. In my opinion of course

Here's what it looks like with a bit of grey fog in the play area and skybox

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/522654875693089405/75E5D2FE4384BC99882CB91258C8AB2B84E9C78C/

KF's fog works like photoshop's overlay modes, 128 rgb is the middle, no brighter or darker, and colors below that are darkened or brightened up. So if you decide to use fog keep it around the middle so the map doesnt get really bright or dark. For that example I used -3000 for the DistanceFogStart and 8000 for the DistanceFogEnd in the zoneinfo actor for the play area. Sky box I used -500 and 1000

I noticed too in the editor that you tried to add a zone for the cabin. You didnt put zone boundaries in properly or all the way, so its still the same zone as outside. Zone boundary brush is green when in wireframe mode, and you put it in using the "add special brush" tool and following with the preset "Zone Portal". make sure you put the boundaries over every single possible opening that could make the zones leak and become one, like patching a hole. Or it won't work. No big deal either way for this map, not a whole lot rendering. But just in case you didnt know about it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
skybox is a little obvious its a skybox, make sure the skyzoneinfo is in the direct middle of the skybox not the floor, and that the brush is in ratio with the pixel dimensions of the texture. So 512x512 units if its 1024 or 512 or whatever it be. Looks like a skybox generated from terragen, its a nice program. Looks fun though

after playing it, i think its a little odd how there's 3 pickups with 10 feet of eachother and in the safest place in the map. 1 seems to be a random item spawn and the others are constant, maybe its 2 random spawns and armor. Idk about the other items but the armor respawns way to fast, if you want it to always spawn and not rely on the game difficulty to make it disappear, at least put it somewhere hard to reach or dangerous. You'll notice in foundry and bedlam and such there are ammo spawns that are tucked tight in corners, so you have to go out of your way a bit to get them. The armor is right up against the wall but its still inside and upstairs where you can grab it, jump out the balcony and get away without going out of your way much to get to it. Aside advising to relocate some of those things or make them spawn based on difficulty mode; i'd definitely recommend the spawning from beneath suggestion. That would be pretty dope and somewhat scary/realistic. Falling from the sky makes them look like they came from outer space or something aha. Also a pinch of tasteful fog would add alot of atmosphere and make it look like its higher in altitude. If you can find some ice sickle meshes somewhere, that would be a nice touch to the outside of the cabin, too. In my opinion of course

here's what it looks like with a bit of grey fog in the play area and skybox

[url]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/522654875693089405/75e5d2fe4384bc99882cb91258c8ab2b84e9c78c/[/url]

kf's fog works like photoshop's overlay modes, 128 rgb is the middle, no brighter or darker, and colors below that are darkened or brightened up. So if you decide to use fog keep it around the middle so the map doesnt get really bright or dark. For that example i used -3000 for the distancefogstart and 8000 for the distancefogend in the zoneinfo actor for the play area. Sky box i used -500 and 1000

i noticed too in the editor that you tried to add a zone for the cabin. You didnt put zone boundaries in properly or all the way, so its still the same zone as outside. Zone boundary brush is green when in wireframe mode, and you put it in using the "add special brush" tool and following with the preset "zone portal". Make sure you put the boundaries over every single possible opening that could make the zones leak and become one, like patching a hole. Or it won't work. No big deal either way for this map, not a whole lot rendering. But just in case you didnt know about it

tldr

Upvote 0
you fail. should put internet abbreviations and memes aside and read it cause i took the time to point out some things

Alright I read it. Good observations. But the point of me making the map was for me to have fun with it and do the things what I thought looked good. If I changed everything that people think should be done a particular way, it wouldn't be my work any more. Sure we might have our opinions, but I'm long done tweaking around with details. Although, I would have considered what you said if I was still in the process of mapping.

Upvote 0
Just was hoping you'd have the integrity to be curious what someone thought who took the time to give fair feedback. Glad you read it. And fair enough, I made the observations probably more to express rather than intend for you to change anything, guess I was bored. Thats the point of it being in the beta section and not final is so you can get feedback though... I understand it's been around since august last year, but yet its still here as beta

Last edited:
Upvote 0