• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Someone explain the multiplayer to me...

Nallows

Aug 9, 2011
I'm sure I'm not the only newcomer to the Heroes of Stalingrad series, but there are many people like me who are unsure how this game plays. When I say this, I'm referring to the multiplayer.

I personally play FPS games for multiplayer and that only. That isn't any disrespect to singleplayer, but I started with BF1942 multiplayer and never looked back.

So my real question is, how does this game play in terms of multiplayer? Does it play like a realism mod? Is it more on an arcade style of gameplay? A mix of the both? This is really the sticking point for me and I'm sure hundreds of other gamers who have never played the original HoS.

I suppose part of the issue is I haven't really seen any multiplayer videos. Most seem to be videos against bots unless there's some videos I haven't seen yet. In other words, there is a very large user base of players who only play mutliplayer like my self, but I haven't seen much showing off this aspect of the game....

Last edited:
Reactions: skittlesareyum47
**red orchestra series

We don't know exactly how HoS will play.. But we've been told it will be a sweet spot between the original ROs hardcore "learning cliff", and most mainstream shooters

In otherwords, the original which is very tactically realistic (eg you can't Rambo, one shot can kill you, you don't heal back wounds) tweaked to be more accessible to all and more enjoyable as a whole

I've noticed faster movement speed and less weapon recoil in the vids we've seen before in comparison to RO1

Personally I hopped on the first one a little over a month ago when I heard of HoS.
I'm hoping for a similar experience (which is a great one)

Upvote 0
That doesn't show how the game "feels" though. Yes, the gametypes are explained, but that doesn't really give indication on how multiplayer "feels."

I don't know how RO2 feels since it not out yet, but RO1, despite being old really feels like you're actually on the battlefield.
Especially when you're proned behind cover and an enemy MG is shooting in your direction.

You've heard it, people have told you, but RO make you FEEL that war is hell.

Upvote 0
We are waiting for some HD Videos to come in, we should have quite a few coming soon.
Also, when the final beta starts up, youtube will probably be flooded with gameplay video.

For now, there are 2 parts showing the Dev explaining some new features.
Here is part 1
‪Red Orchestra 2 : Heroes of Stalingrad GDC '11 HD (Part 1)‬‏ - YouTube
It's still old, so expect the game to look quite a bit better.

The game is slower pace.
There is no such thing as bunny hopping / proning and landing a headshot.

It's similar to bad company's conquest game mode I think it's called... but the capzone is usually 10 times bigger then around a flag or a building... so you end up with 10 against 10, in cover trying to take the others out to cap. Its pretty intense.

It's almost 1 shot kill... realistically at least and nades can easily kill a good 2 or 3 people.

Harder then other shooters but far more enjoyable.

Upvote 0
Well we havnt played it yet so we can only speculate and look at what we already know.

The main gametype of the game will be territory. In Territory mode you will fight to capture or defend strategic points. Depending on the map one team might be attacking while the other team is defending or both teams have to hold and capture specigic strategic points. So this is pretty close to what you did in bf1942 but the game will also feature other game modes.

Well I dont know what you count as a realism mod. Forgotten Hope for Bf42 and Bf2? Red Orchestra goes much further in terms of realism. As already said by some people you could check the facts thread to get a look at it. The main aspect of RO2 is still a realistic approach at the genre.

Upvote 0
There is a problem with answering your question and the problem is language. Language refers to things and we don't really have a bunch of words or phrases to describe small differences in "feeling".

This game will play differently to Call of Duty and Battlefield. It will not play like a mod. This isn't fully realistic or fully arcade like. This answers your question but it really doesn't give you the picture of how the game actually will be....

It's better to sum up the features of the game than to try and approach it from a "feeling". Those feelings will come from the features of the game.

-

What do we have that other games don't?

Blindfire in first person mode

Tanks with fully designed interior and animated crew for moving around

Large maps designed for 64 players (although some servers may go over that cap)

Plenty of Multiplayer options (something lacking in a lot of games right now as they shift to console)

Countdown Mode - This is, I'm fairly certain, a new type of game mode which will give you a really different experience as your life is meaningful but you arn't so worried about having to sit out of the game for 5-10 minutes if you die...

No clipping weapons through environment - they don't move through walls. Something that should be fairly standard in FPS games today.

Free updates - You won't have to worry about your friend owning a DLC map and not being able to play with them. Or feel like you don't have the edge because you don't have those extra weapons...

Mod content - Expect some spiffy stuff from other content creators out there. If your like me and don't like mods then just remember...People who make new maps are also considered mod content creators! Some people make excellent maps!

A very reasonable price - The price for this game makes me feel like I've stepped into back into the year 2000 where gaming was reaching its pinnacle point of creativity. Honestly, this means a lot that tripwire value their audience as much as themselves! =)

Those are all I can think off from the top of my head. I can only assume with features such as blindfire, the 1 life a round countdown mode and the nature of having old world war 2 weapons, that cover will be pretty important and hopefully lead to a lot of prolonged fire fights with bullets trading back and forth. As opposed to what most FPS's play like today which is a glorified deathmatch/team deathmatch where you have to be constantly alert from a 360 degree angle because someone could pop up anywhere.

Upvote 0
I can give some impressions, but no specifics due to NDA. This has been said before anyway.

This probably won't help the OP, but it feels like RO1, but less clunky. The bullet penetration is a real game changer, and makes you play and act more realistically. No more hiding behind picket fences. Playing RO1 afterward doing the beta for a week, and I could immediately feel the short comings of RO1.

It's really a refinement to the RO game-play style. It's both more realistic game-play wise, yet easier to tell what you're suppose to be doing, and where you're suppose to be going. Hence a learning curve, compared to the legendary learning cliff.

What might help the OP out is to know it's a squad based realism shooter, but not an AMRA-like simulator. You need to account for bullet flight time, and bullet drop at range. You need to think about cover, and when it's safe to break cover (usually with some covering fire or smoke). You get the satisfaction that every kill you make is earned. To get an idea of what the gameplay is closest to, look up videos of Red Orchestra: Ostfront on YouTube. Obviously, RO2:HOS will be an improvement on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightriderAOF
Upvote 0
I can give some impressions, but no specifics due to NDA. This has been said before anyway.

This probably won't help the OP, but it feels like RO1, but less clunky. The bullet penetration is a real game changer, and makes you play and act more realistically. No more hiding behind picket fences. Playing RO1 afterward doing the beta for a week, and I could immediately feel the short comings of RO1.

It's really a refinement to the RO game-play style. It's both more realistic game-play wise, yet easier to tell what you're suppose to be doing, and where you're suppose to be going. Hence a learning curve, compared to the legendary learning cliff.

What might help the OP out is to know it's a squad based realism shooter, but not an AMRA-like simulator. You need to account for bullet flight time, and bullet drop at range. You need to think about cover, and when it's safe to break cover (usually with some covering fire or smoke). You get the satisfaction that every kill you make is earned. To get an idea of what the gameplay is closest to, look up videos of Red Orchestra: Ostfront on YouTube. Obviously, RO2:HOS will be an improvement on that.

Nice to hear coming from a ro vet. Cant wait for the beta access.

Upvote 0

Are you able to tell us if the UI has changed from the current gameplay videos?

Upvote 0
I'm sure I'm not the only newcomer to the Heroes of Stalingrad series, but there are many people like me who are unsure how this game plays. When I say this, I'm referring to the multiplayer.

I personally play FPS games for multiplayer and that only. That isn't any disrespect to singleplayer, but I started with BF1942 multiplayer and never looked back.

So my real question is, how does this game play in terms of multiplayer? Does it play like a realism mod? Is it more on an arcade style of gameplay? A mix of the both? This is really the sticking point for me and I'm sure hundreds of other gamers who have never played the original HoS.

I suppose part of the issue is I haven't really seen any multiplayer videos. Most seem to be videos against bots unless there's some videos I haven't seen yet. In other words, there is a very large user base of players who only play mutliplayer like my self, but I haven't seen much showing off this aspect of the game....

It feels like this:

http://youtu.be/SFHk9Wz8mag

Upvote 0
is RO1 still played? Its a pretty old game. If i get it now would i be able to play the online. How many servers are still running, is getting into a game easy. Is there single player options.

Yes, there are still servers online and a lot of people still play it online. There is a "practice" mode where you go up against bots but it's really best to get a feel for the weapons, since the bots do NOT put up much of a challenge.

Likewise there are a lot of people who still play Darkest Hour, which is a mod for Red Orchestra set in the western front, and has a lot of new content, basically like a whole new game!

Upvote 0