• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My take on persistent stats

I've played over a hundred hours of BC2 and I can see where servers that have unlimited Recon classes open, turn into a sniper fest when it becomes a big challenge to take an objective. It happens but you can always find ways around switching to recon if you know the map. In RO2 I think it's going to be a lot different and more limited with the sniping.

I don't think the addition of a k/d ratio/other stats is going to ruin RO2 for people. If you don't care about k/d then you don't care and that's all.

But a good player is going to be able to kill at least one person per life. I don't think being a human meat shield should be promoted or commended. And that's what happens when people just throw themselves on objectives over and over again. It's better to kill most of the enemies before attempting to take a zone anyway. The fear that the k/d ratio adds is good for realism because in real life you aren't going to be so willing throw away your life to capture a hill when there are guns firing down on you. It also drives you to play more or do better. I used to just charge around in CS 1.6 in my younger days without even thinking. Then the server started counting k/ds and I began looking up strats and learning about how to become a better player. I view persistent stats as a positive thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've played over a hundred hours of BC2 and I can see where servers that have unlimited Recon classes open, turn into a sniper fest when it becomes a big challenge to take an objective. It happens but you can always find ways around switching to recon if you know the map. In RO2 I think it's going to be a lot different and more limited with the sniping.

Actually, IMHO BFBC2 is less affected by sniper-whores than most games I've played because some pretty decent weapons can get a 4x scope. I constantly out-snipe snipers with an M-60 fitted with a 4x scope and Magnum ammo.

Gentle use of the trigger causes such an M-60 to become a 100 round belt-fed sniper rifle in BC2, except you can reload faster, have more ammo to keep them suppressed, and I find that with the 60 you can use strafing movement to throw off the sniper's aim while not losing much accuracy yourself if you stick to single shots.

Of course I have only ever played hardcore mode, so it is probably different in normal mode.

Upvote 0
Yeah I only play HC as well. I enjoy using the m14 against snipers because I can still wreck people in medium/close range with it as well. Anyways, I was just using BC2 because someone mentioned it as an example of where k/d ratio messed up a game.

@ScarfAce: How is it selfish to kill the enemy? This is a first person shooter and the point is to eliminate the enemy and take ground. You should be encouraged to be an efficient killer, your team will be better for it.

Upvote 0
If that "efficient killer" does nothing but sit around a window and take pot shots when he should be attacking/defending, he's a waste of server space. Even people who charge at the enemy while cooking a grenade in their hand are more useful.
K/D ratios tend to make some people act like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well consider yourself a part of a minority. Many people just stop prioritising attacking (or proper defense) as soon as K/D stats come into question. It seriously reduces many people's ability to work together, even if the actual best way to get a good K/D doesn't involve camping at all.
It gets especially bad when others can see your K/D, because then people who (for some un-understandable reason) want to keep an in-game reputation begin to let their playstyle get dictated by their stats. Some people I've met can be downright paranoid about their statistics.
Even those who don't care at all will get affected by this, because it will undoubtedly make some people less co-operative in a (futile) attempt to score more kills. I for one would rather have team mates be helpful, no matter how stupid they are.
And lastly, recent FPS games are practically based around this metagaming bull****. RO2 should steer clear of all that crap. Stat-tracking, especially the kind that can affect one's reputation (amongst strange people), is just another cheap trick to keep stupid people playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eug_C
Upvote 0
I'm sure there will be idiots like you are talking about but I think someone who is looking out for their k/d ratio AND Win/Loss ratio is going to end up being a good player.

I guess this is mainly opinion based or based on previous experiences and we will find out how it all affects the game when we start playing.

I just wanted to make my voice heard, I don't want k/d/other stats cut out and I see that a lot of people on the forums like the idea.

Maybe only ranked servers track stats? Or servers can turn off stat tracking?

Reactions: Chane
Upvote 0
Accuracy will be shown pr. weapon, which is fine. People will understand if your accuracy statistics with an MG are abysmal, just means you're keeping a lot of heads down.

With bolt action rifles, and esp. the scoped ones, accuracy statistics are quite nice though.

wrong.

i lay suppressive fire with whatever i've got.
very often i find myself respawning and having to join just one or two other riflemen. who plays the fire team if there were only two of us with bolt action rifles?

also, sniper classes are one of the best classes to keep heads down/draw attention to your direction so others can cross.

Upvote 0
wrong.

i lay suppressive fire with whatever i've got.
very often i find myself respawning and having to join just one or two other riflemen. who plays the fire team if there were only two of us with bolt action rifles?

also, sniper classes are one of the best classes to keep heads down/draw attention to your direction so others can cross.

To quote the TWB hint message:"and fire A LOT at the enemy".
That MG's are the only ones to suppress is bs, they are just more efficient doing it, doesn't mean the rest shouldn't.

If a bolt is surpressing along with the others, the enemy might stick his head out one time less, which may be enough for the papasha guy to enter their building.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who doesn't care one way or the other about stat tracking?

In all the FPS games I've played that have persistent stat tracking, I've never even been bothered to look. In my opinion focusing on such things detracts from the fun of playing the game. I'll see my name on the scoreboard at the end of a round and that's more than I need. If I have fun during the round, none of the numbers matter much to me at all.

Perhaps I'm the exception. I don't know.

Upvote 0
Kinda silly all this.. But seeing K/D ratio is nice imo - it doesn't really tell how well you're doing but it's a good way to keep on track if your tactic seems to work or not.

Couldn't care less of the accuracy. If the suppress fire actually works in RO2 (I hope it does make players stay down..) then everyone will be blasting away with anything that has auto fire. Maybe accuracy could be shown per each gun (like pistols, sniper rifle, grenades!, maybe normal rifle too) but who cares how accurate they have been with a machine gun :S

Upvote 0
K/D ratio reminds me of Killstreaks, which reminds me of CoD: Black Ops, which reminds me yelling something along the lines "OH ****!! YOU *** ** ***** **** *** STOLE MY **** *** ** **** *** KILL, I SHOT HIM TO 1% HEALTH AND YOU STOLE IT! FOR **** **** **** SAKE!".

That's what happens with K/D... yepppp. Okay, perhaps not, but it could.

Upvote 0
I couldn't agree with you more, including suppression but punishing people who use it, good argument. This game should be about realism, but stats isn't realistic at all. I rather have TWI copy past the Ro scoreboard to be honest. Don't get me wrong, i love TWI, but i truly feel they are making a huge mistake with this, stats make people grind for better K/D's and camp. I could write an entire essay about this, but i fear my point is mute.

How is it a punishment?

Everyone (who counts) knows that K/D ratios are meaningless, so why would you pay attention to them? The stats are there for your and other people's info, but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the game. So why worry about them? If you don't like them simply ignore them.

Even if your K/D was 1/100, how could it be a "punishment" for it to be listed on some web server (or whatever)?

Upvote 0
Why? If you're playing well and helping your team to victory, why should you care if your ratio was 1, 0.1 or 0.01? I simply can not understand why people who don't care about the ratio, would care that other people can see it.

Sometimes reinforcement tickets are worth more than playing musical captures.

And sometimes it's good to see who drains them less.

Upvote 0
Why? If you're playing well and helping your team to victory, why should you care if your ratio was 1, 0.1 or 0.01? I simply can not understand why people who don't care about the ratio, would care that other people can see it.

If you're playing with the same group of people all the time, then yes, your reputation will depend on how useful you are, regardless of your stats. If you're playing with people who don't know you, or trying to get into a new clan, then the easy way they have to evaluate your likely skill levels is to look at your stats.

Personally, I think the fear of being unfairly judged based on the stats is greater than the real risk. People worth playing with will probably know how much to trust the stats.

Upvote 0