• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Craters

TW pretty much made it clear that they dont really like destructable terrain. It is a design choice. Some devs think this is like the holy grail but TW is more in the direction that they put tehir favor in well designed map that dont look like the moon after 15 minutes. :)

Yeah, but some disturbance in the landscape would be cool. We don't need 15ft craters

Upvote 0
It's really a technical issue. Of course they want craters to a certain extent.
I think it's just too hard to make terrain changes and lighting changes match up with this engine.

I am no expert, but I can't see how anyone wouldn't want (small) craters, adds a lot of immersion.

If I had to guess, its purely a network issue. For every non-player but dynamic object on the map, you'll need to send updates to the clients about them. The more crater and building wreckage info that needs to be shared around, the less bandwidth available for bullets and bombs.

My guess is this is why games like BF are becoming smaller and smaller in terms of map size and player counts. 64 players plus accurate ballistics plus destruction is probably too much for current internet connections to handle lag-free.

In fact, hasn't DICE announced that they are cutting back destruction in BF3's MP? I bet the reason is the same.

Upvote 0
It's not about the net connections, it's about the server bandwidth and processing power. Destruction is heavy duty stuff, even in engines designed for it (Frostbite). Unreal is not designed for it and so destruction of any sort is really quite rough on the server. Deformable terrain isn't something I think anyone can expect in Unreal 3, at least in any large scale games. Maybe Unreal 4, but it's hard to say, as the Unreal engine has always had more of an indoor focus than say CryEngine or Frostbite. Have to wait and see!

Upvote 0
Maybe they could change to Frostbyte engine in FO3 as their licence for the Unreal engine ends ?

12964555584131.jpg

Upvote 0
Frostbite has really a bad netcode. I cant count he times how often I got shot when I was already in some cover and the bullet magically goes around corners.....

TW has said in several interviews that they dont think enviroment destruction is the holy grail of first person shooters. They rather see well designed maps that dont turn into a moon like landscape after 10 minutes and so do I.

Upvote 0