• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Female soldiers for Russian team

Graphic

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Nevada
Inspired by this post in another thread: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=778981&postcount=47

The idea never occurred to me before, but now I can't get it out of my head.

Random chance to spawn as a female when picking the sniper class would be awesome. Or any class to be honest.

The Soviet Union deployed women snipers extensively, and to great effect, including Nina Alexeyevna Lobkovskaya and Ukrainian Lyudmila Pavlichenko (who killed over 300 German soldiers). The Soviets found that sniper duties fit women well, since good snipers are patient, deliberate, have a high level of aerobic conditioning, and normally avoid hand-to-hand combat.

Women served as machine gunners, tank drivers, medics, communication personnel and political officers. Manshuk Mametova was a machine gunner from Kazakhstan and was the first Soviet Asian woman to receive the Hero of the Soviet Union for acts of bravery.

Women crewed the majority of the anti-aircraft batteries employed in Stalingrad. Some batteries, including the 1077th Anti-Aircraft Regiment, also engaged in ground combat.

In response to the high casualties suffered by male soldiers, Stalin allowed planning which would replace men with women in second lines of defense, such as anti-aircraft guns and medical aid. These provided gateways through which women could gradually become involved in combat, and demonstrate their capabilities. For example, women comprised 43% of physicians, who were often required to carry rifles as they retrieved men from firing zones. Through small opportunities like this, women gradually gained credibility on the battlefield, eventually numbering 500,000 at any given time toward the end of the war.

Who's with me?

This thread again. To summarize:

- Not enough women on the war front to bother making a new player model
- Cant very well record an entirely new set of voicework for that ONE female soldier in the game

Its an affection. Sure it'd be *neato* to have a female soldier spawn once every 70 spawns, but it'd be neato to have a lot of things in RO2, and yet, a lot of things can't be added to RO2 because they require work hours from TWI and file space to be implemented. This is one of those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dietrich Graf
Upvote 0
This thread again. To summarize:
Not enough Mkb42 on Stalingrad front to bother making a new fantasy gun.

Oh sorry, wrong thread.

faceg.gif

Upvote 0
I apologize if this thread has been made before. Nothing came up in the "similar threads" thing that popped up so I went ahead with it.

I think you overstate things slightly, though, Hypno Toad.

A female model isn't going to add a gig to the file size, nor add $500,000 to the budget for a day of voice work. The enterprise would probably take as much money and effort as making a new weapon (modeling it, recording the real sound, tweaking it, animating it, matching sound to the reload, etc.) Every class model in TF2 has a female replacement now, voices included. Its not a gargantuan undertaking.

I'd say its not in the game simply because they know most people don't care, and if they do its not going to make or break their decision to buy the game.

So I simply wanted to make a thread to let them know that I and probably others do care, and that maybe it'd be a nice idea for a patch down the road.

The "not enough" justification is perplexing though. How would it be different from the extremely rare prototype weapons being in the game in the name of variety?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just hoping some Central/East Asian Soviet skins made it in there...

A lot more Kazakhs, Uzbeks, and other Asian ethnic groups served on the fighting frontline than dames, that's for sure! ;)

No controversy, same male model, voice, realism, immersion, and a nice tribute... who's with me?

Reactions: Boggs
Upvote 0
Don't act like the Soviet Union is noble for that. You know they didn't do it for "women's rights." Any extra meat for the grinder they would gladly take. "Oh, you'll throw yourself under a tank's treads too in hopes your organs will jam their gears? Great! Get in line."

I think you will find there are arguments for and against women in the military. There was no shortage of men able to fight. The reason was, yes indeed, for women's rights.

Reactions: Unus Offa Unus Nex
Upvote 0
Most women outside of the tank corps, snipers, and air forces were in rear echelon units anyways. Medical units, mortar squads, radio interception, all had a large amount of women. When these units were closest to combat when front-line units needed reinforcements or were over-run, these units would be sent to fight. Throughout the war there were 450K+ fighting women in the soviet army in WW2 at any given time.

Reactions: OneBloodyHero
Upvote 0
You have zero idea what you're talking about. Also, this is not a game about the entire war, this is a game about Stalingrad.

Put them in or I'll mod them in. Don't worry history buffs, it's going to happen.

Thanks.

I wonder what history buffs would like to see female soldiers in the game. Probably the same history buffs that want the MKb 42 in the game :D.

Upvote 0