• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What brought you to Red Orchestra?

I'm a Brother's In Arms player, and I prefer the WW2 setting for FPS's. Since MOH and COD both have gone modern, and God only knows what Gearbox is doing with Furious Four, it seems RO2 is my only hope for a decent WW2 shooter in the near futute. From what I've seen RO2 promises to be awesome!! I'm also impressed they are already working on a Pacific mod!

Upvote 0
It was my friend who introduced me to Red Orchestra in 2006/07. At firts I was like "Baah, yet another WW2 game...", it was those days when there were more WW2 shooter and at first I did not see what is new in it.
But then I wen't to test it and was amazed, simply stunned. Those days I mostly played CoD2 and it was so much different compared to that. I had always wanted a more realistic WW2 so I went to buy RO.

Upvote 0
I was playing DoD on Avalanche (don't ask my why I still remember this) and along came a dude going on about how unrealistic DoD is and thar RO is so much better. And everyone on the server was like "I hate those games like Battlefield where a regular soldier can get in a tank, that's soooo unrealistic and gay". Yes, I admit, I quickly joined in on the bashing :D. Two weeks later my brother told me about this awesome realistic game that would be released on steam soon. Bought it on release day, loved it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EA's BETAfield2's overall quality.
The lack of support for ti4200 forcing an upgrade.

The massive updates that fixed some issues to create bigger ones.

Damn Bunny Prone hoppers.

Then on steam I saw the RO trailer, researched it, community praised it and it looked like something I would like.

My first run was very VERY painful and wondered what kind of crap I bought... I gave it a chance and fell in love with it.

For RO, I bought a 24" Sony Wide CRT, running highest resolution I was sniping tiny specs with the standard rifle... being called a cheater.

Was fun at the time... now I think plenty of people have their pc's hooked up to at least a 42" HDTV...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was bored and, if I remember correctly, a little sick so I was stuck home with nothing to do. I saw the game on steam (this was in april 2006, I think) and made the second spontanous purchase of a game in my life, after having read (just a little) about it.
Turned out to be one of my best buys ever :)

This is exactly what happened to me, except it was only... 2008/9?

Upvote 0
I've got first time hooked up on PC gaming in general when vCOD came out,then UO came out and the COD2 but by the time COD4 came out I started loosing interest because gameplay was simplified.

Found out about RO2 trough BF forums and caught my attention and was lurking the forums here until one day I signed up and introduced my self.

Someone from here then challenged me to get ROOST and get the feeling of the game till RO2 comes out,I was bit sceptical since was an oldish game but I'm glad I got it cause everysince I laid my hands on the game I fell in love.

this happened in october 2010...wish it had happened way sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensemann
Upvote 0
Saw RO2 video with bipods mounting on stuff, bought RO1 some months later because I couldn't wait for 2.

exact same for me! no recollection how I found that specific video. I'd always wanted a realistic WWII game. I got Day of Defeat: Source and that was a little too twitchy and strange for me. However, I met a guy on steam through that game, and he asked me for 5 bucks one day- he wanted RO:OST. It was half price that weekend so I decided to get one for him and one for me. I've loved it since; joining this forum, introducing it to my friends (Which has led to a few more fans)

Upvote 0
I came from old DoD beta 1.x, which I think was the real starting point for me getting into realism (DoD realism? Yeah, well... it was among the better at the time :) ). I logged some serious hours into DoD, was running my own server in my dorm room, even wrote some server mods for it (improved realism stuff, weapon restrictions, tk protection, and the support for getting kill info after you die even when having kill messages off).

DoD went a weird route of having less and less realism features, so I started looking for other games/mods.

Some I remember are xww2 for BF1942, great mod that never really reached it's fully polished potential but it was the most realistic for that game (props to baracus, you rock). There was a quake2 mod that had potential but was too held back by the engine. Some decent half-life mods were there, but they never really went the full distance.

Operation flashpoint also had potential, but the clunky controls and bad "feel" of it never really pulled me in, and even ArmA hasn't really "done it" for me.

But back on track, while searching for new games/mods I think I read something about the make something unreal contest, so I looked it up and found Red Orchestra. Think this was just after the switch to Ut2k4, so I went down to the local game shop and got me a cheap box of it, then proceded to play it for years on end. Think I hardly played anything else except maybe some civ 3/4 and rome: total realism until late 2006 when some friends talked me into playing TF2 with them which was a refreshing "fun" game for me :)

Been on and off RO for the last few years, playing a few rounds when I've felt like it, but come august 30th I'll be back on track again :)

One question still begs answering.... was Yoshi really the tealady? :-D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I came from old DoD beta 1.x, which I think was the real starting point for me getting into realism (DoD realism? Yeah, well... it was among the better at the time :) ). I logged some serious hours into DoD, was running my own server in my dorm room, even wrote some server mods for it (improved realism stuff, weapon restrictions, tk protection, and the support for getting kill info after you die even when having kill messages off).

DoD went a weird route of having less and less realism features, so I started looking for other games/mods.
:-D

Nice to see quite a few with DoD background here.

Upvote 0
Hm, i think the only reason i saw it was because of a steam sale in 2008, and the picture showed WW2 soldiers. So I clicked just for fun, and thought that the game looked amazing.
Although I actually didnt buy it when it was on sale, because i didnt have the money (completely bankrupt after spending every last cent on a new guitar) . About a week after the sale ended, i got 50 dollars, and had to decide on whether to buy CoD:WaW or RO (WaW $50, RO $20). I watched vids of both, and decided RO looked to be the better game.

So glad i happened to be randomly browsing the sales section of the store that day :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensemann
Upvote 0
in 2003 I wasn't really into PC gaming. Got a good PC in 2004 or soemthing and began using steam more frequently.

Call of Duty and CoD:UO were some of my favorite games, I especially liked UO's bigger maps and vehicle gameplay. I started playing source games and looking at source mod.

Then along comes ROOST. I initially thought it was a source game, because for some reason it looked the part to me. I basically bought it for that reason because I was interested in making WW2 maps in hammer. While I was disappointed it was on the UT2 engine, I liked the game a lot nonetheless. RO was sort of my gateway drug into OFP, ArmA and stuff like that.

Joined the forums when I needed to learn how to use the UT 2 editor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm a fairly new RO fan. My earliest memories of RO are a couple of years back when I remember reading on a game forum about a game that people praised for being insanely realistic and awesome, called Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. The game caught my eye then for a moment but slipped away, for reasons unknown. Then at the end of 2010 a friend of mine bought the game and asked me over to play it with him, after playing it for a couple of hours I loved it and bought it from steam as soon as I got home. And ever since I played Ostfront for the first time, I've been waiting for Heroes Of Stalingrad like it was christmas to a young child. :D Can't wait to get that wonderful package in the mail! Don't you just loove the smell of a fresh game out of its package? :IS2:

Upvote 0