• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

US Military

IAOEGIJaKe

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 25, 2011
I was thinking of a new DLC that would cost maybe 5 dollars and it would basically be a weapon pack and character pack all in one. The idea was that the US Military would be stepping in to help with the Horizine outbreak. Maybe the outbreak reached the United States. This would open up a new branch of weapons and characters that could be introduced to the game. Army soldiers for characters and some new weapons like the M4 and such. If this gets positive feedback I might put more thought into it. Leave some suggestions about it. Is it a good idea or bad idea and why.

Edit:

After all of the feedback on this page and how popular it became, I have a few things to say. I can see the points in the replies and feedback as to why its a good idea or bad idea but it was just a simple idea of maybe a character pack featuring some US soldiers and a weapon pack that could bring in some extra guns kind of like the one that introduced the AA-12 and more. Wasn't to change the game completely and throw it off the story line. The idea of having America in it was just for the explanation for the characters and weapons.

As for things related to price, I would say the character pack would be a simple 1.99 like the other packs and the weapons would be a free update just like last time. Simple as that.

Last edited:
You probably should have just searched around a bit in this section. You'd pretty much realize that a lot of the other forum members here do not want anything (or almost anything) relating to the US. Especially the AR-15. They also won't be so friendly in their responses to this thread very likely, so yeah... fair bit of warning.

Also, I believe the Suburban map was supposed to be US based, but was confirmed as non-canon to the storyline of KF.

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
You probably should have just searched around a bit in this section. You'd pretty much realize that a lot of the other forum members here do not want anything (or almost anything) relating to the US. Especially the AR-15. They also won't be so friendly in their responses to this thread very likely, so yeah... fair bit of warning.

Also, I believe the Suburban map was supposed to be US based, but was confirmed as non-canon to the storyline of KF.

Agree with previous statement, this idea is over stated and please search before posting.

Reactions: Jake74
Upvote 0

The m4 idea is overstated, not the idea of bringing in U.S. units. I feel that people are a bit close minded on these forums. It makes perfect sense for the U.S. to intervene with help, because they have in nearly every major world event since the U.S. was created. I think it's more surprising that there isn't a little more U.S. influence in this game.

He threw the gun in as an example, not a "This weapon must be included" kind of thing.

Oh well, to each his own. I've been here long enough to realize that some of the old heads around here think they own the suggestions forums, and that totally poopooing an idea that isn't there own is the only way.

inb4 "It's not worth TWI's time". Because I know that's coming, and you speak for TWI right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake74
Upvote 0
The m4 idea is overstated, not the idea of bringing in U.S. units. I feel that people are a bit close minded on these forums. It makes perfect sense for the U.S. to intervene with help, because they have in nearly every major world event since the U.S. was created. I think it's more surprising that there isn't a little more U.S. influence in this game.

He threw the gun in as an example, not a "This weapon must be included" kind of thing.

Oh well, to each his own. I've been here long enough to realize that some of the old heads around here think they own the suggestions forums, and that totally poopooing an idea that isn't there own is the only way.

I'm gonna disagree there, as it was done in a certain viral movie, why try to save a diseased little island when it quarentines itself naturally, I can just pick up the pieces after everything is dead in a few years.

Upvote 0
I'm gonna disagree there, as it was done in a certain viral movie, why try to save a diseased little island when it quarentines itself naturally, I can just pick up the pieces after everything is dead in a few years.

Oh yeah, good call. I remember what you are talking about. It makes sense.

I'd like to debate that a bit further, but I don't want to derail the thread.

I don't know, I guess it's really up to the company in the end :(

Upvote 0

inb4 "It's not worth TWI's time". Because I know that's coming, and you speak for TWI right?

I think some of the "old heads" would probably be enraged by 2 things:
1) The choice of weapon examples. I know he's new, but he sort of chose some rather hated examples there. Anyhow, how would those be different? Please, go more in depth when weapons are involved.

2)The whole "American" thing. How would it really be any different from British military? What could it really bring to the game in terms of visuals, aside from stir up the lot of people who really don't want to have America in every other game. In any case, it seems rather odd to have them running around spouting cockney in any case.

Of course, this post will likely make me an "old head" who is therefor Satan, won't it?:(

Upvote 0

Everything I put in was simply to give a better reception to the forums than what likely is coming around pretty soon. Even if the first idea is complete crap (look at mine for example), eventually there might be something worth actually looking at closer coming from Jake.

timur said:

I've seen Gibby use the M16 example before a few times... but always with the M203. I'm not in favor of the M16 or M4, but a few more modern weapons that are still AR-15 derivatives might be worth actually looking into. Having said that, I have a few ideas in the pipeline that I'm trying to figure out heavily before I try posting them. And most/all are non-American designs or things. Well... there might be if you consider the fact that I'm American and if I come up with a more original idea... doesn't that make the idea American by default?

As for the second part... I don't recall my nation having done the "Greatest Raid of All Time." Ballsy commandos there. So I guess that's the difference... although our special forces are not to be scoffed at!

Upvote 0
I prefer not to see it happen, only because I like that KF is a game without a HOO RAH 'MERICA SAVES THE WORLD theme(meme? Industry standard?) to it, but more of a gritty survival game.

Besides, the only skin choices you have would be random generic US Military personnel with Military background, previous engagements and maybe a token Embassy official/staffer/visiting politician. Quite a bland choice compared to the choices on offer currently. Police officer, random civilian, soccer hooligan, escaped criminal, Partygoer, DJ, Generic Military personnel, Ambulance driver, Preacher man, damn, all thats left is to add a Japanese schoolgirl, US Tourist, 'Strayan bartender and the queen herself (with sensible millinery and handbag swinging action, if you wont put in female models, you could just have Thatcher instead) and the game would be perfect.

In short, id prefer not, as it just adds an American flavour that is so bland due to lack of choice (not due to subject matter) of alternatives, that I like KF as it is. If I want my fill of American military vs world/aliens/zombies id play one of the other games currently on offer. Having a spin off series of KF:USA however could work, or at least a mutator with maps of famous NA landscapes, fighting specimens in Horzines secret lab in Lincolns nose at Mt Rushmore, NY Subway station being overrun with Zeds, Hoover Dam, with its great hydroelectric power, home to the biggest clone spawner around, Yellowstone park home of Yogi bear and now Cuddles the Fleshpound.

Upvote 0
US Military would be stepping in to help with the Horizine outbreak.

LOOOOL

No way man, no way.

Also theres not going to be DLC including weapons/maps/gamemodes or any other content that might separate the community and force people to buy these things to fully enjoy the game. Such content packs have always been free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
>Charging for game changing DLC
>U.S in Britian.
>*Mashes face on desk*

Oh, there's a major point I forgot :eek:

TWI has made sure to make all game-changing content free, with vanity content for sale. Now, I don't want to see this very nice, kind, and generally admirable policy go away, and I'm not even sure TWI would want to do so anyways, so I for one vote for keeping the game-changing content free. And guns are game-changing, now doubt about that.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I'm going to have to say a no to this suggestion for reasons that have already been mentioned. I don't have any problem with the US, I just like the fact this game has none when so many others are saturated with it.

If for example TWI did a weapon re-skin replacement pack. So the Bullpub looked like the M16 but still walked like a Bullpub (just an example) along with a US character pack. I could see that working. (I wouldn't buy it but there would be some who would).

But I couldn't see what the US could bring to us in the character sense. What amusing stereotypes could you bring to the table?

Upvote 0
WARNING: POTENTIALLY CONTROVERSIAL LEXEMES IN USE

I'm saying no.

There are plenty of other people who have made points that i don't need to repeat, but my 2 bob is this:

>Not everything has to be 'murrican.
>This is a game set in Britain, 'murrica is out of place.
>The AR15 derivative, the M16, has been in effectively every modern-ish FPS of which i can think.
>The idea is unoriginal and brings down the uniqueness of KF.
>United Statesians don't speak with a British accent, as far as i know.
(Note: half the voice actors are United Statesian, but that's not his real voice... i hope)
>DLC that costs money is awesome at best, superficial at worst.
>DLC that changes the game dramatically is free

Your idea is only one paragraph long, and lacks any degree of detail beyond a brief explanation of your proposal. If this was anything of great importance, would you really give such a short piece of writing?

Reactions: DDC1234
Upvote 0
I think some of the "old heads" would probably be enraged by 2 things:
1) The choice of weapon examples. I know he's new, but he sort of chose some rather hated examples there. Anyhow, how would those be different? Please, go more in depth when weapons are involved.

2)The whole "American" thing. How would it really be any different from British military? What could it really bring to the game in terms of visuals, aside from stir up the lot of people who really don't want to have America in every other game. In any case, it seems rather odd to have them running around spouting cockney in any case.

Of course, this post will likely make me an "old head" who is therefor Satan, won't it?:(

On the same level, what does any character pack bring to the table? Look closely at the dlc character models. I think you'll find most of them strikingly similar in shape to one another...

And I find all this 'Murrica crap just offensive. Not all Americans are fat, lazy, elitist jerks that have their grubby paws into everything that is evil (as the euphemism 'Murrica implies). Just as every European or Britt isn't the stereotypical high culture, high class, wine chugging, worldly intelligent, crumpet munching, tea freak that everyone pretends they are. Every human is just as worthless as the next, the only thing that seemingly seperates us are stereotypes.

I wouldn't mind some more military characters that are less generic than the originals. I also wouldn't mind new characters that aren't just re-skins of old models.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raziel
Upvote 0
There seems to be some confusion in regards to the term skin.
A skin is a mesh that's fixed to a rig. The rig (aka bones/skeleton) move the skin.
There is only one rig. With multiple skins. (For Player Chars) This saves up a load of resources as there only needs to be one set of animations loaded.
The DLCs are not simply re-textures of the same model but a whole new model.

Just throwing that out there.

@noupperlobeman

Learn to laugh at yourself, while admittedly a rather British trait, its flies a lot better then getting upset over a stereotype.

Upvote 0