• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Blood effects/realistic wounding

TheOnlyDoor

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2011
Most games the blood effect usually appears instantly, like a red patch. Usually in real bullet wounds,( if you've seen a few internet videos) you notice a flap of the clothing and/or the black entrance hole, followed by a "welling up" of blood in that area. This usually applies to pistol rounds.
So, I wonder if smaller caliber ammunition will be seen more as " puffs of fabric" followed by slow blood soaking and rifle impact more as red mists.
I hope RO2 has more than the red paintball effect. That ssemed to be what i saw in the game play videos

Entry wounds are usually hard to tell is a hit even if they're Rifle rounds. The most common indication is if the target looks like it's been hit or not.

I wouldn't mind if there was a 2D Decal system for wounds, with a TINY bit of detail put into like (like Pistol entrace/exit wounds are same size, but Rifle exit wounds are larger than entrance) but I wouldn't expect tripwire to go all-out and start showing detailed fabric tears or "flesh explosions".

That would all be cool, yes, but it's not gonna bother me if the hit indication / wound effects look largely the same as in RO1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most games the blood effect usually appears instantly, like a red patch. Usually in real bullet wounds,( if you've seen a few internet videos) you notice a flap of the clothing and/or the black entrance hole, followed by a "welling up" of blood in that area. This usually applies to pistol rounds.
So, I wonder if smaller caliber ammunition will be seen more as " puffs of fabric" followed by slow blood soaking and rifle impact more as red mists.
I hope RO2 has more than the red paintball effect. That ssemed to be what i saw in the game play videos

Would be a good feature to implement. Anything to add to the realism, is a welcome sight.

Reactions: Fenix611
Upvote 0
The easiest way to tell if someone is hit is to look at their health bar above their head..............................................

Yeah. Sadly. Games keep thinking this is the only way to represent some sort of damage or injury.

If your shot in the leg you should be limping around. (Animators get to work! =D)

If your super awesome you should be able to let a soldier lean on your shoulder. The person who he is leaning on then takes control of both characters movement! Never know when it'll be useful. But you'll know you'll see it and you will lol and say how awesome the game is because you can do things like that!

Upvote 0
The easiest way to tell if someone is hit is to look at their health bar above their head..............................................

Yeah. Sadly. Games keep thinking this is the only way to represent some sort of damage or injury.

If your shot in the leg you should be limping around. (Animators get to work! =D)

If your super awesome you should be able to let a soldier lean on your shoulder. The person who he is leaning on then takes control of both characters movement! Never know when it'll be useful. But you'll know you'll see it and you will lol and say how awesome the game is because you can do things like that!
Yeah, A dynamic,well coded wounding system, gut shots should boll you over for a least 4-5 sec ( all proper 1st person as well), then with one hand holding the wound you could either use the other hand to hold a pistol or a grenade or use it as a crutch to crawl to cover.
Dozens of these would blow the lid of this game. Id love it.
However I think it might be asking too much.

Upvote 0

Animators? That is what Euphoria is for!

Upvote 0