• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

'Heavy Tank' update after launch?

I was thinking, well after you guys release the game, there could possibly be a 'Heavy Tank' update that adds 2 new tanks, the IS-2 and the Tiger. Since both were manufactured in limited numbers, it makes it relatively balanced. The only real problems of implementing these, would be the time issued for use on the Eastern Front (IS-2 in 1944 and Tiger in late 1942) and the time it takes to model and implement these tanks in RO2 (6 months said in an interview, I think). So, would this be possible?

Last edited:
I was thinking, well after you guys release the game, there could possibly be a 'Heavy Tank' update that adds 2 new tanks, the IS-2 and the Tiger. Since both were manufactured in limited numbers, it makes it relatively balanced. The only real problems of implementing these, would be the time issued for use in Stalingrad (IS-2 in 1944 and Tiger in late 1942) and the time it takes to model and implement these tanks in RO2 (6 months said in an interview, I think). So, would this be possible?

You can understand yourself that IS-2 would be absurd to implement in Stalingrad....and in 1942! ;)

Anyway, the first update will be T-70 and Pz III J (as Hobitt said) and, logically (this is only a supposition) will be followed by SU-76M (based on T-70 chassis) and Stug III Ausf. boh (Pz III chassis).

Reactions: EvilHobo
Upvote 0
You can understand yourself that IS-2 would be absurd to implement in Stalingrad....and in 1942! ;)

Anyway, the first update will be T-70 and Pz III J (as Hobitt said) and, logically (this is only a supposition) will be followed by SU-76M (based on T-70 chassis) and Stug III Ausf. boh (Pz III chassis).
Oh, I thought that RO went along the entire Eastern front, 1941-'45, and I meant to say Eastern Front, not just Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
I don't like this idea adding IS-2 just because the Tiger is superior to the KV. It's realistic having a KV, as IS-2 is designed to counter the Tiger. Plus the IS-2 came in 1944, as you said, and the Tiger came in 1942, so it's pretty outclassed comparing it with IS-2 don't you think?

Better to have light/medium tanks for now. PIV and T30 are good enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first tank update should be assault guns/tank destroyers, not heavy tanks.

Havings IS2s and Tigers still leads to the same sort of combat with T34s and Panzer 4s, the only difference is thicker armour and better cannons.

If they include assault guns and tank destroyers (stug 3, su-76), it will allow for a whole new type of tank gameplay, since turret-less tanks have to fight completely differently.

They were also produced in far greater numbers so its more realistic for them appear in more maps. SU76 was the 2nd most produced tank after the T34.

Also for combined arms maps Stugs would be very common, whereas tigers not so much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm personally hoping for the German half-track somewhere down the road (pun unintended). There's something cool about having an armored mobile MG platform which can quickly deploy an infantry squad at a critical position on the battlefield.

Though if they do implement the half-track or any other APC, I hope they change RO1's system of instant death for anyone in the vehicule when it gets destroyed. I sort of ruins immersion when a well placed round from an AT rifle obliterates the vehicle and all 6 of its occupants. Hopefully, with the new material penetration system this unfortunate situation will be avoided.

I also hope they'll have 1st person animations for changing seats (like the ones for the currently implemented tanks) and for getting out of the vehicle. I never liked instant teleportation when hitting the "exit vehicule" key :eek:

Of course, implementing all that smoothly requires a lot of work, and I don't know how high APCs are on the dev's priority list.

Upvote 0
Plus the IS-2 came in 1944, as you said, and the Tiger came in 1942, so it's pretty outclassed comparing it with IS-2 don't you think?

King Tiger vs IS-2 would be fun but yeh its 1942 not 1944 so we will probably never see them (Unless TW make some Expansion one day that expands to more places than Stalingrad).

Also why would you even need Heavy Tanks in Stalingrad. Ideal tanks would be fast reloading tanks that are good against infantry. I never understand peoples fascination for Super Uber Heavy Tanks.

Upvote 0
give the Russians any tank they want :p

Ok. then we want something like this :D
IS3.jpg

Upvote 0