• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What brought you to Red Orchestra?

I first found out about RO back in 2003 when I was looking mods for Unreal Tournament 2003. At the time, the UT2 engine was super ground-breaking, and I was excited to see what mods would be taking advantage of it. I found RO on some website and immediately got excited. I then downloaded it and was shocked at the quality, but couldn't play it online because I was still on a dial up connection.

When mod version 2.0 came out for Unreal Tournament 2004, I finally could play online and was finally able to enjoy the mod in it's full glory, and there were usually 2 or three populated servers to play on. When Combined Arms (3.0) came out, **** really got real, and I was totally hooked.

Then when they won the MSU contest, and announced they were releasing the game retail, I pretty much shat a brick. Then when they announced that RO2 was their "next big project," I shat two.

And here I am today, faithfully playing the game that none other can replace, hoping RO2 will be a worthy sequel!

Reactions: Tovarish_Vassili
Upvote 0
I seen a friend playing a map called something like "ro-mapname" when I logged on to UT2003, and I thought, "WTH is the RO gametype?"

So I tried to join him. And I pretty much couldnt, since the download for what I thought was only a map would take forever. I googled it and found the info for the Red Orchestra mod, still in its "early" beta days.

I downloaded and installed, and the rest pretty much played out from there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It must have been 2003 or 2004 and the only computer games I really played were Mafia and Age of Empires series. I wasn't into gaming at all, only playing like 2-3 hours a week.

Then one day, I went to my cousin and he was talking about how great UT and it's mods would be. Personally I hated and still dislike fast-paced shooters with laser guns etc. so I was sceptical about what my cousin is going to show me. After 5 mins of watching him playing, I decided to buy UT on the very next day just to download RO.

Since then, I played RO constantly except in 2006 when I moved to China and didn't see RO on steam for some reason. After I found it again, I am back to the vicious circle: play RO and there is hardly any other shooter left for me (except: Arma series).

Upvote 0
Reading this thread warms my heart! :) It's awesome to hear stories like these. Very good morale and motivational boost for myself and others at Tripwire. Helps remind me that it's worth all the sacrifices to make RO2. It feels very surreal to be completing RO2 and finally getting it out there. It's been a long journey. For myself I feel like I've been working on this game for nearly 10 years now. It truly is a blessing that we've been able to make RO2 and stay totally independent. So I thank all of you for supporting TWI. RO2 is only the beginning of awesome things to come!

Upvote 0
Realism, WWII, Eastern front, brutal Skill-based gameplay that focused mostly on bolt-actions, immersion, thease are the things i treasure about RO.

I came straight from the Infiltration mod, which at the time was dying, with no plans to ever port it to a new engine. This is when i went in search for mods to replace it, and i found RO, a small alpha release for UT2003 that barely had any content at all at the time, but you could see the promise there, and so i eagerly awaited it's next release.

It came, i loved it, and i've been following RO ever since.

Upvote 0
I had been a competitive CS, BF2 and CoD1/UO/2 player and at one point I read an article about Red Orchestra back in 07 or so. I was extremely intrigued by it, being a huge WW2 buff and thought I'd give it a try.

Games were never the same to me once I entered a server and felt RO brewing in my veins.

Thanks Tripwire, you helped me find a game I'll always love.

Upvote 0
I remember a long time ago seeing those early promo screens for the mod when it was being done on UT2003. It surprised me a lot to see a game like that and I was super pumped for a release but kinda pushed it to the back of my priorities as UT2004 and Call of Duty were coming out and eating up my life.

Then I heard it was being done up for 2004 and checked it out once I had my fill of Call of Duty. I remember the one thing that absolutely blew me away was the gunplay, something I still love very much about Tripwire. I fired up a botmatch to get the feel of the game and fired a shot from the K98 and let me tell you, I nearly crapped my pants. Back then it had a monstrous boom sound that totally caught me off guard and had me yelling HOLY SHI*T. What kept me playing was the brutality of the weapons, you felt their power when you fired them. It was what I felt Call of Duty was missing.

Eventually I got more into it, joined and left several clans, and have been following it pretty actively since then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reading this thread warms my heart! :) It's awesome to hear stories like these. Very good morale and motivational boost for myself and others at Tripwire. Helps remind me that it's worth all the sacrifices to make RO2. It feels very surreal to be completing RO2 and finally getting it out there. It's been a long journey. For myself I feel like I've been working on this game for nearly 10 years now. It truly is a blessing that we've been able to make RO2 and stay totally independent. So I thank all of you for supporting TWI. RO2 is only the beginning of awesome things to come!

And we appreciate and thank you guys for those sacrifices to make that game we always wanted.

Anyways here is my story:

When I was young I got a xbox 1 and got Call of Duty 3 which I loved and ultimately made me interested in WW2. When I was playing I always said to my self "why can't I go join that big group of guys over there and join a huge battle with tanks going across the field, planes flying over head, taking fire from MG fire while watching people fall to bullets around me instead of staying in this small squad doing small things with invincible people"

Though being young and not knowing the beauty of PC gaming I only had CoD 3 and I played and beat it tons of times because it was the only thing I had, I memorized the look and gun name of every gun on there.

Then came CoD 2 on the 360 where I became interested in the battles and I started looking up information about these battles, information I still remember today. As like CoD 3 I loved it and played it many times over.

WaW came out and again I was hooked onto World War 2, though after when I switched to PC gaming and even after I beat WaW I craved for more and basically started playing every WW2 game I could get my hands on, Medal of Honor, CoD 1, BF1942, I played most of the well known WW2 games. I still felt like something was missing and I haven't gotten everything I wanted from WW2.

Then I saw Enemy at the Gates which started my love for the Eastern front which was portrayed as gritty and horrible, when I watched it I was thinking in my head "Now this is the World War 2 I always wanted to play" This started my interest in the Eastern Front which fascinated me a lot probably due to barely anything made about it.

One day I stumbled across Darkest Hour and RO videos and I couldn't believe my eyes what I just found, I found the perfect World War 2 game, though I think it didn't say the name of the game and I couldn't find it any where no matter how hard i looked until I found it one day and (being the stupid kid that I was) pirated it and tried it with bots.

It was honestly the best multiplayer game I ever played, even with the bots, I loved it and would play hours on end with the bots because of how amazing it was. Then I saw there were still servers for the game and I knew that this was a multiplayer game and single player didn't do it justice. Being ashamed with my self for pirating it, I got a week pass from someone and I barely stopped playing, I stayed up all night most of the time just ot continue playing it. When the pass was done I said to my self that there was no way I wasn't getting this, I then made my own money (this was a week after the sale last summer I bought it) and bought it a week after the sale because I knew you guys deserved the money for this amazing game and I felt bad for pirating it first.

Now most of the stuff I do during the day is play RO and advertise RO2 on a forum and I have gotten several people to buy RO1 and get very interested in RO2 and even get more excited for RO2 then BF3 and for my brothers birthday this week I bought him RO1 (and killing floor) since he is just getting into PC gaming I might as well get him the best.

It took me 7 years, 2003-2010 to find RO and in the end it was completely worth it and I thank you guys for such an amazing game and can't wait for RO2.

(Yes it's a long post but I feel like there is no shorter way to describe how I was brought to RO)

Reactions: Actin
Upvote 0
I first saw the advance trailer for RO:Ost I guess in the fall or early winter of 2005. I was playing mostly CoD:UO at the time.

Like Floyd, I had been playing WW2 fps shooters since MoH and Spearhead, then to CoD and UO. Good games for their time....but RO presented something far more visceral even from just looking at the trailer. As soon as it came out retail I bought it and was hooked.

There's just nothing else like it. It's what I want a war game to be.

Thank you Tripwire for 5 1/2 awesome years of playing RO. How many other games can you say THAT about and how many other developers can you say THAT to?

Upvote 0
i first saw and dismissed it as i thought it was a tank sim only and well that was either right at release or when it was a mod and the videos i saw of people looked really bad just terrible i didn't even know what was going on. terrible videos for the mod none of them showcased the game well at all. that being said sometimes in 2010 it came back again...

a friend bought it for its realism and tanking and, bought it for me so we could team tank and play together. however sticking together is really hard if not impossible in that game. and he didn't want to play with other people so basically we ended up on empty servers shooting at each other (had a few other guys he bought the game for 2.) i however kept right on playing loving every second of it. (once i got the feel.) :) how i ended up in my current clan very happy i stuck to the high learning curve. (your lucky im a determined little bastard because the first hour i didn't love it it took me 20 to learn to love it. kinda like men of war if you will.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've always been interested in WW2 since I was young, I started collecting weapons of the era with my brother, A few 91/30s, 2 Pu Snipers,Nagant revolver,A K98 and a Lee Enfield.
Just always been a big interest of mine, So it was only natural I was buying every WW2 game I could find. While I had some fun on them there was always so much missing. When I first seen videos of Ostfront I was amazed at everything. The detail of the guns. The PU Scope had the correct reticle. The huge maps and ofcourse the setting. I instantly bought it off steam and jumped right in. With practice and advice from fellow players I was getting my first kills on my 2nd day. It is the only game that I have never gotten bored with. Haven't looked back since. Nothing will ever compare, And I know the same will go for HOS :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Call of Duty: United Assault was my first internet game ever, which I played in my friend's house.

Also I was fan of UT2004, and was looking for different modes. When I get internet in my house, I started downloading bunch of modes and maps. When I find Red Orchestra mod, unfortunately I couldn't play it online (because I had *cough* pirate *cough* UT2004). Then I find a site where it says game would be soon released as standalone.

Red Orchestra was first (non-pirate) game ever I bought (my bro bought Warcraft 3 to play online some time before it), also it was my introduction to Steam, which I instaliked.

And yeah, I get licenced UT2004 after that.

Upvote 0