• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Interview?

unlocking weapons, items, and skills has been the cornerstone foundation for all video games since the dawn of the Nintendo Entertainment System.
And here I thought the cornerstone foundation for all video games was good gameplay. Sure, unlocks can be fun, but I see it more as a fitting feature for RPG's, not FPS games.

The way I see it, an FPS game should feel rewarding simply based on the fact that the more you play the better you become at the game. Adding artificial incentives is, at least in my eyes, something that recent popular FPS games have started doing, since the gameplay itself is not enjoyable enough to keep people playing.
All I see is TWI is taking RO series from humble beginnings to incorporate game concepts we've all loved and enjoyed since our childhoods. I think the bayonet is a little silly of a unlock, but I will enjoy unlocking weapons, its a sense of progression and achievement that have made games like TF2 extremely popular.
It's artificial progression. I don't feel that's something that a multiplayer FPS game needs. The sense of progression and achievement should come from playing the game and actually getting better at it.

I think you need to understand that not everyone enjoys those unlocks and the artificial progression as much as you apparently do.

Upvote 0
Battlefield 2 for one. (I'd point out you could disable unlocking on that game too)
I'm not a big FPS veteran sadly, I only got access to highspeed internet around mid 200x, before that I was playing RTS and MMO games on dial up, so I'm more familiar with concepts from those sorts of games (Unlocking is pretty big in MMOs) You won't find me against it.

Grats for you bro but given the option I'll disable it.

I played WoW and it is an absolute grindfest. That article I linked to earlier actually makes note of it. Marks of Conquest, cool, now you need Marks of Sanctification, cool, now you need Heroic Marks of Sanc. It is 100% a model built around forcing people to play compulsively in order to experience the content. It took me literally months to find a group geared/experienced enough to help me down the Lich King, that's after weeks of pre-raid gearing. I don't ever want to have that experience again.

As far as MMO PvP is concerned...get ready to go up against a bunch of people, even within level brackets that are only 5-wide where people will routinely have twice as much health and damage output as you do.

I also played Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and C&C and I can positively tell you that any unlocks in those games would be positively destabilizing to what is already a very, very, like monstrously delicate line of game balancing.

You need to be honest and admit that the only thing that is making unlocks palatable to the majority of people in this community is that they will not drastically imbalance the gameplay. The concept itself is outrageous, it's only the fact that they're making it margins of 10% that most people grin and bear it.

Upvote 0
I think you need to understand that not everyone enjoys those unlocks and the artificial progression as much as you apparently do.

And I think you and several people here and elsewhere need to understand that there will be the option to play without these unlocks.

You can bet your *** that if it would please everyone to allow basic things to be available in unranked games (bayonets, grenades, whatever) Tripwire would make it possible.

Instead you have people here seeing one measly announcement and letting it turn into a giant issue. This forum is full of ignorance and fear of the unknown, and people who can't handle it.

Upvote 0

I played WoW and it is an absolute grindfest. That article I linked to earlier actually makes note of it. Marks of Conquest, cool, now you need Marks of Sanctification, cool, now you need Heroic Marks of Sanc. It is 100% a model built around forcing people to play compulsively in order to experience the content. It took me literally months to find a group geared/experienced enough to help me down the Lich King, that's after weeks of pre-raid gearing. I don't ever want to have that experience again.

As far as MMO PvP is concerned...get ready to go up against a bunch of people, even within level brackets that are only 5-wide where people will routinely have twice as much health and damage output as you do.

I also played Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and C&C and I can positively tell you that any unlocks in those games would be positively destabilizing to what is already a very, very, like monstrously delicate line of game balancing.

You need to be honest and admit that the only thing that is making unlocks palatable to the majority of people in this community is that they will not drastically imbalance the gameplay. The concept itself is outrageous, it's only the fact that they're making it margins of 10% that most people grin and bear it.

truth.png

That's the truth, truth!

Upvote 0
And here I thought the cornerstone foundation for all video games was good gameplay. Sure, unlocks can be fun, but I see it more as a fitting feature for RPG's, not FPS games.

Think half life 1, or Jedi knight, the moment you got that item, you know the one, whether is the bazooka, Shotgun, or Lightsaber, when you got it you were on cloud nine. People are throwing up articles of sinister rat race game concepts, but remember you childhood and the absolute glee you had when you found the bow and arrow in Zelda :D

I played Runescape, the items were more practice and less grindy for pointless items, normally cosmetics were priced reasonably and the real practical combat items were worth the work. and yes, everyone hiss and say "ew runescape" and get it out of you system. :(

Upvote 0
One thing we ask the Community to do is make their final judgement on the unlocks after they play the game. It saddens me to think that some of our long time community members believe we've sold out or are trying to cater to the masses. It would have been way easier to not add unlocks or weapon upgrades into the project but we really believed it would take the experience to the next level. One very important thing we've done is make all the player progression very subtle so that it doesn't feel gamey or give anyone an unfair edge which is something that's not been done before, it has the RO twist to it. People that don't want unlocks can play or setup their server the way they choose to so all this new stuff doesn't have to even get in the way if they dislike it.
Someday we'll have to share the story on just what it took to make this game a reality. Tripwire is the same as it's always been, we're small, independent and pure our heart and soul into what we make. Our goal is to have an experience online that you can't find anywhere else that's the bottom line!

Upvote 0
I guess I'll stop being a blowhard and I'll say I'll buy it now.

Might as well, since no sane person should hate a system that is entirely optional.

Unless for some odd reason the stats and unlocks still bother you even though you can enjoy the game in its entirety without either of them.

Upvote 0
So what you're saying is, he could have gotten a beta key so that he could actually play the game, and help voice his confirmed concerns?

And instead, he declined a beta key and sits on the sidelines and complains about things based on interviews and shaky cam footage, not by actually playing it?

The criticism he raises is aimed at the marketing and where TWI positions itself with HoS, not with the gameplay itself.

The small paragraph about the unlocks is not HIM complaining about it, it's him saying that a large chunk of the core community isn't happy with it.

Upvote 0
Might as well, since no sane person should hate a system that is entirely optional.

Unless for some odd reason the stats and unlocks still bother you even though you can enjoy the game in its entirety without either of them.

Fortunately, this means I'll be able to enjoy the game without playing it with people that enjoy unlocks.

Assuming there are enough of people that don't. If there aren't, there's always an hero I guess.

I guess at the end of the day even though 12 year olds still listen to Justin Bieber there are small pockets of sanity in which I can go and rock out to Pink Floyd :cool:

Upvote 0
http://pcgamingtips.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-dont-believe-hype.html

Just some random blog, but he has a lot of good points.

If i'm not entirely wrong thats Rob aka "hey carnut" and if its not him then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

That aside, I've had a lot of respect for Rob especially for his phenomenal comments and inputs in the Crosshair shows, however as of late he has come through as quite the whiner that for some strange reason continues to bash the HOS/RO developers and fans hard.
(yes the respectometer for you is going down steadily rob)

My first *wtf are you serious moment* from this dude was when he mentioned something along the lines that TWI somehow alienated its competitive crowd with the freeaim system shortly after the TS3 conference. (like somehow not appealing enough to cod/bf style competitive scene)

As for the keynotes in the blog they need some serious tweaking.

First of all you buy a game like RO for the immersion, the realism and the gameplay first and foremost. Having bought both BC2, Crysis 1 and 2 I can't say that their gameplay is anything other than a techdemo + mainstream magnet that honestly isn't original at all. It also happens to be that both series have a terrible netcode which is something I'm sure you know quite a lot about. (yes i'm running around a corner and im getting killed 3 seconds later...and where is my autoknife dammit!)

I'm sorry to say but while I'm sure RO2 will be a lot more accessible and mainstream(tdm mode, unlocks and mainstreamed mechanics) it isn't your average five minutes match-making session. I'll suggest a less serious title such as Call of Duty those kinda gaming needs.

As for playing with friends it seems to me that TWI has done quite a lot to support this with squads and more, hence i fail to see why it's an issue at all. I'd also like to add that while you keep mentioning the negative aspects and hype around RO i'd take a minute and list why it's superior by default and that's even without discussing the game itself.

*Mod Tools
*Mods in development
*Free updates/content
*Dedicated servers
*Public server files
*PC only with true GUI
*Admin/console capabilities
*Server/client setting capabilities
*Competitive support
*Active and caring developers
*PB custom + VAC

And as you can see the list could go on further, but apparently you're gonna vote with your wallet AGAINST the one and only true PC FPS since half a decade ago. Call me a fanboy but if you seriously can't recognize what TWI is doing for the PC crowd the maybe you should go hug DICE, IW and 3ARCH instead.

I've myself been active in the bf,cod community and their competitive scenes since around vCod and I've seen the true decline of support, care, modding and competitive possibility over the years. Now I am astonished that you apparently haven't.

*Rant mode off* But it wasn't that harsh right? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Think half life 1, or Jedi knight, the moment you got that item, you know the one, whether is the bazooka, Shotgun, or Lightsaber, when you got it you were on cloud nine. People are throwing up articles of sinister rat race game concepts, but remember you childhood and the absolute glee you had when you found the bow and arrow in Zelda :D

This is nothing compared to the glee of realizing that we will be playing on separate servers. Huzzah!

Actually, in my childhood, I remember with glee checking out item builds for heroes in Warcraft 3, checking unit comps, and managing limited resources. I remember getting frags in RO and knowing that it was because I took the time to learn via muscle memory the approximate number of pixels to lead a target traveling at X distance and Y velocity. I recall distinctly the joy of murdering scrub combines in the face with my 9mm because I was a hoss.

I recall the joy I felt becoming the Lich King at the end of Frozen Throne and the travesty grindfest that was killing the Lich King at the end of Wrath.

Then again I don't know, bro. I don't really receive joy from pressing a lever and getting a food pellet. Maybe I could fashion you a contraption that would feed you a random gun design to play with based on random intervals of lever presses? Would you like that?

Upvote 0
One thing we ask the Community to do is make their final judgement on the unlocks after they play the game. It saddens me to think that some of our long time community members believe we've sold out or are trying to cater to the masses. It would have been way easier to not add unlocks or weapon upgrades into the project but we really believed it would take the experience to the next level. One very important thing we've done is make all the player progression very subtle so that it doesn't feel gamey or give anyone an unfair edge which is something that's not been done before, it has the RO twist to it. People that don't want unlocks can play or setup their server the way they choose to so all this new stuff doesn't have to even get in the way if they dislike it.
Someday we'll have to share the story on just what it took to make this game a reality. Tripwire is the same as it's always been, we're small, independent and pure our heart and soul into what we make. Our goal is to have an experience online that you can't find anywhere else that's the bottom line!

I think it's pretty clear what we're asking for.

1.) A barebones mode that is integrated within the game as a gamemode with the most common load-outs as standard, without unlocks, heroes, ranking, etc. Consistency is the key here.

Just telling us "You can switch it off" doesn't cut it if admins have to wade through the config files first and players have to look for a specific server with specific rulesets and classes amongst "Knighted's all hero, all Mkb., extra low damage Danzig 24/7 server" and "Pistol only 24/7 Entweichen". Again, consistency and standardisation is the key here.

Also, I really have to stress this part here:
It would have been way easier to not add unlocks or weapon upgrades into the project but we really believed it would take the experience to the next level.
Seriously?

In the 5 years I've been on this forum the suggestion that came closest to weapon unlocks was the option to remove the sight-hood of your Kar98k. Most people were simply mocking the idea of unlocks, heck, the silenced M1895 was something that people used to joke about... and I don't even want to know what TWI still has up their sleeves for us. Stripper clips as an unlock? The ability to sprint?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's pretty clear what we're asking for.

1.) A barebones mode that is integrated within the game as a gamemode with the most common load-outs as standard, without unlocks, heroes, ranking, etc. Consistency is the key here.

Just telling us "You can switch it off" doesn't cut it if admins have to wade through the config files first and players have to look for a specific server with specific rulesets and classes amongst "Knighted's all hero, all Mkb., extra low damage Danzig 24/7 server" and "Pistol only 24/7 Entweichen".

I'm going to assume we have 1), and I'm going to say if we do that will cut it, but I think a "classic mode" and a "classic mode" check filter would be about all that the rest of us need here.

Upvote 0
In the 5 years I've been on this forum the suggestion that came closest to weapon unlocks was the option to remove the sight-hood of your Kar98k. Most people were simply mocking the idea of unlocks, heck, the silenced M1895 was something that people used to joke about... and I don't even want to know what TWI still has up their sleeves for us. Stripper clips as an unlock? The ability to sprint?

So, what is your point again?

You are pissed that they added stuff without asking you or one of the other 5 raging guys here?

Life is not all beer and skittles. Get used to it.

Upvote 0

I seem to remember lengthy threads about PPSH box mags, and MG42 or 34 box mags/linked belts, tripods, different scopes, special grenades, new/returning side arms, etc.

Things that if added to Ostfront, would have to behave like "unlocks" due to being uncommon/non-standard equipment. Things that all made their way into Ro2...

Upvote 0

Just telling us "You can switch it off" doesn't cut it if admins have to wade through the config files first and players have to look for a specific server with specific rulesets and classes amongst "Knighted's all hero, all Mkb., extra low damage Danzig 24/7 server" and "Pistol only 24/7 Entweichen". Again, consistency and standardisation is the key here.

While I agree that it would be a great mode to add especially for the convenience when browsing and looking for the true old school RO experience I'd still have to take options over it any day. To be honest if it came down to a choice between how it is now Vs 1 classic I'd take the options and I hope anyone could see why.. because it's ridiculously obvious.

As far as i can see TWI has made pretty much everything optional which is gonna cut it and tbh is the most important thing. If you're gonna bother to setup a serious server you're sure as hell ain't gonna wimp for customizing it, frankly quite the opposite.
(That or have it blackops,bc style hm is it 3 options you can alter on the serverside ? :) )

And while looking for a server with specific settings that suit your style might be a pain, I'd rather have the days of customization and true choice back rather than the average matchmaking service and streamlined GUI. I'm still astonished that a browser from 1997-2006 is more satisfying than anything we see today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While I agree that it would be a great mode to add especially for the convenience when browsing and looking for the true old school RO experience I'd still have to take options over it any day. To be honest if it came down to a choice between how it is now Vs 1 classic I'd take the options and I hope anyone could see why..

As far as i can see TWI has made pretty much everything optional which is gonna cut it and tbh is the most important thing. If you're gonna bother to setup a serious server you're sure as hell ain't gonna wimp for customizing it, frankly quite the opposite.

And while looking for a server with specific settings that suit your style might be a pain, I'd rather have the days of customization and true choice back rather than the average matchmaking service and streamlined GUI.
(Have it bf,cod style.. hm is it 3 options you can alter on the serverside ? :) )

I'm not talking about removing the ability to customize the server, but we've been asking for a third "standard" mode for a long time now, with no reply and to no effect.

Upvote 0
Then again I don't know, bro. I don't really receive joy from pressing a lever and getting a food pellet. Maybe I could fashion you a contraption that would feed you a random gun design to play with based on random intervals of lever presses? Would you like that?

What if the pellets are wonderfully designed to solve puzzles, kill enemies in different and special ways, or just give you any sort of edge on the opposition, Those are pretty nice pellets.

Upvote 0