• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Interview?

RO2 can't be that bad. ;)

Absolutely not.

OFP was a failure of PR, which is something TW doesn't have at the moment, and just the simple fact that the knuckleheads thought they could use listen servers only and satisfy the community.

With RO2 I think everyone is pleased with the game itself and I know I am confident that the gameplay will be everything that I want. Some of us just have issues with standard issue equipment being unlocks, is all.

Upvote 0
RO2 can't be that bad. ;)

Absolutely not.

OFP was a failure of PR, which is something TW doesn't have at the moment, and just the simple fact that the knuckleheads thought they could use listen servers only and satisfy the community.

With RO2 I think everyone is pleased with the game itself and I know I am confident that the gameplay will be everything that I want. Some of us just have issues with standard issue equipment being unlocks, is all.

I wasn't referring to the quality of OFP: DR, I was referring to the behaviour of the developer and the way they constantly reassured their community.

Upvote 0
I wasn't referring to the quality of OFP: DR, I was referring to the behaviour of the developer and the way they constantly reassured their community.

I should have been more clear. I meant the situation and the game itself (RO2) won't be nearly as bad as DR. I knew it wouldn't be an ArmA like game despite their marketing. I was hoping for a better GRAW - but the game was so broken and dysfunctional it was a joke.

I was going to pick apart ibleeds post, but Lemon already said what I wanted to. :IS2:

Upvote 0
the fundamental problem with these arguments for and agianst is we're going on hear-say and a couple of cam corder vids

Till we get to play we've actaully no idea what is and isn't in the game.

No sir, both of these have been confirmed in the video in the OP by a Tripwire developer.‪Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad‬‏ - YouTube

At 8 minutes 6 seconds and 8 minutes 15 seconds.

Upvote 0
I think most people are afraid of another major disappointment. I remember that I was really excited about Mafia 2 for six years, reading every article about it, watching every video released, and got really disappointed when I put my hands on it. So many games have been ending up like that recently, and some people here are afraid the same could happen to RO2, especially after knowing about some recent facts about the game that might take away part of the experience we've had with ROOST. I still trust in TWI, but I also hope they still listen to their fanbase.

Reactions: Hobitt
Upvote 0
Playing time occurs across literally dozens of soldier deaths in the same session. Playing time is calculated as a meta value instead of just a lifespan quantity. You level up as a player, not as a soldier. There are no respawns in real life and hence experience does not carry over after death.

Further, as other players have pointed out....they may personally not be turned off by leveling and unlocks for rare items or even gaining abilities over time. But it is not realistic for people to have to work towards standard issue equipment like PaPaSha drum mags and bayonets because they were available to every soldier regardless of his level of combat experience.

There is nothing realistic about this model.

To take one player and season him over time is perfectly realistic.
This is not real life nor is it a sim
It is a game with elements of realism.
Made with input from a community but not by committee.

You act as if copy-pasting a bunch of trendy "metagame" mechanics will make your game popular.

It helps. I don't see the BUNCH as you do.I see just those few items and thats not a lot. Trend whether you like it or not is what sells games. Try playing a game that doesn't sell. You will end up with a small community that takes ownership of the game and deludes itself that it is so much bigger than it is.

I have some bad news for you:

http://breachgame.com/[url]http://breachgame.com/[/URL]

"Breach" is all that remains of "8 Days in Fallujah," a sexy combat sim that got cut down by the publisher in spite of considerable curiosity from the market.

If it were a matter of copy-pasting mechanics into the game and receiving an instant million sale levelup, I would be in favor of it, if only so TW could pocket more dollars. There is no guarantee of that, and if you read this thread, none of the posters on this forum really want standard issue things as unlocks, for balance issues, and then just the fact that it's an inconvenience, and an absurd and pointless one at that.

There is no gaurantee about anything yet it makes rather good sense to integrate a bit of what is popular and make it your own.Let's be honest here the features in the game and the mechanics are brilliant but that could go unnoticed by those that enjoy levelling up, killstreaks, ranking systems and all the other things young gamers enjoy.And without new and young gamers you would be looking at the same signatures here for the next ten years. And here is another newsflash....Sims are boring to the greater majority of people. If this game was a pure sim you would be looking at a developer on his way out instead of being on the way up. Your not getting ARMA WWII . Nobody outside of these forums sees this game as a sim. Nobody outside these forums cares about the ultimate level of accuracy in the bolt patterns of the tanks. The point here is that none of the new buyers of ROHOS are YOU. You as in the forum members here. Harp all you like just like the Hardcore COD community did. Use phrases like "we built this game", "They lied to us", and you will be dinosaurs losing what you have and trying to find a game that will never come your way. Games like this are not made anymore.

Incidentally, I don't see what's so attractive about making players literally work towards something in a videogame
strive/strīv/Verb

Your not the center of the universe

1. Make great efforts to achieve or obtain something.

But I'm telling you right now, the model is a behavioral one made to force the player to play in a particular, compulsive way. It has nothing to do with fun. It has everything to do with unhealthy compulsion. I can link you more articles on behavioral science if you wish?

I have read plenty about the compulsions related to the dopamine payoff in regards to games all the way from pinball to modern games. The real compulsion seems evident here at times. Compulsion is a subject where you don't want to go. The pot calling the kettle black. Yer know? Like some of the minutiae here.

COD, in so many words, did not require you to unlock your melee attack (combat knife).

It should have. It would have been a better game

It isn't cute nor is it fun for anyone outside these forums to come here and post.
You guys always have to be the smartest ones in the room and that's what will prevent some sales that could have been made.
Picking apart posts is what you have lived on for too long.
STFW if the game isn't EVERTHING you wanted it to be.
Spoiled brats.

Upvote 0
What can I say that hasn't been said before?

I've always been against unlocks in this game, because of the reasons that are nicely explained by VariousNames above, but I always thought we could make certain compromises so the game can expand and sell more, to help Tripwire make bigger and better projects in the future. I just had all my faith and trust in TWI.

But lately, certain lines have been crossed, lines that I never thought TWI would be capable of crossing. Now I just feel that I've being naive and that the trust I had in TWI has been betrayed.

Is there really any justification for it? Unlocks or cartoony English will not bring in new people, and the fact that is not optional makes me wonder how many options will we really have.
The audience you are trying to bring in are, above all, graphic whores, and if you can't get that part right then there is no amount of gimmicky features you can do to your game to make them stop saying that the game looks like ****.

I used to be optimistic that they could be converted, but the reports and the evidence convinced me of the opposite.

And I'm not talking about the shaky cam vids, I'm talking about people who are in the beta, people who trash-talk you and your game behind your backs, those are your new "friends" and it just saddens me to see how you are licking their boots and push us aside.

Trying to change your faithful community, to that abstract audience that you don't fully understand, was probably the worst step you could make. You are fooling yourselves if you think those guys you are trying to appeal to will be a substitute for us, because in the end you guys can end up with no community at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And here is another newsflash....Sims are boring to the greater majority of people. If this game was a pure sim you would be looking at a developer on his way out instead of being on the way up. Your not getting ARMA WWII . Nobody outside of these forums sees this game as a sim.

If you would've cared enough to read then you would've found out that RO gamers neither want another ArmA2, nor do they view RO as a sim. What you are showing is ignorance, using some kind of impression you have (and multiple people have told you now that it's wrong) in order to "defute" arguments.

RO gamers want RO to be a RO game, NOT ArmA, NOT CoD, NOT BF.

We simply want RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just want to emphasize--Tripwire has not sold out its fanbase to promote RO2. Saying anything of that sort is both unfair and inaccurate. They've responded very positively to our suggestions on mantling, tank damage modeling, single-round reloading of the bolt-action rifle, machine-gunner mechanics, adjustable sights, inturruptible reloads, ammunition checking, and so much more.

But nothing in this world is perfect, and some ideas that look great on paper, that seem to hold promise, just don't end up working well in practice, and that's nobody's fault.

Accusing them of folly cannot possibly do any good, and might instead discourage the devs from sifting through forum smoke and flame to look for input in the future.

As for the reaction to a few quick words in an interview, it may seem like an overreaction, but isn't it better to voice our concerns now and be proven wrong than to wait only to find out that what we weren't comfortable about reached the final version? True, "innocent until proven guilty" is the law of the land, but the same law holds that if there is a possibility of "guilt", however unproven, an inquiry still takes place.

In response to ibleedv20, LemoN and Chang are exactly correct. We're not arguing about perfect historical accuracy. We're doing our part to make sure RO2's core gameplay is true to that of Ostfront. Bayonets and drum mags played an important role in the gameplay of RO:O alongside ballistics and other mechanics, and we object to the fact that consequentially the RO experience will be altered.

I am also a big fan of the Halo series, which is neither realistic nor simulator-like, and I'm dead certain that the Halo community would react in a very similar way if the energy sword was locked in Halo 4's multiplayer until enough 'experience' had been obtained.

I mean, what do you want personally, ibleed? Wouldn't you, too, rather have access to the bayonet from day one?

And look, what Tripwire is trying to do ISN'T to cater to the mainstream crowd, but to gently CONVERT part of the mainstream crowd so that they too enjoy the unique virtues of Red Orchestra, with a consequentially greater economic profit. There's a difference.

Sure, Tripwire will love bringing some of those "young gamers" onboard, but that doesn't mean they will bow down and grovel to their purchasing power. Quite the opposite--Firefight and Casual realism modes will introduce those young gamers to what they've been missing out on: the thrill of compensating for bullet drop to snipe an enemy across the map for the first time, the adrenaline rush of realizing you've run out of ammunition face-to-face with the enemy. That is the genius of Tripwire that will make RO:HoS a success.

Look around at the other forum newcomers. Look for the joyful posts of, "Hey, I usually play Modern Warfare but I came across Red Orchestra and now I can't put it down!" "I love this game!" "I love the realism!" People who never thought that realistic elements could work in an FPS pick up Ostfront and realize that they not only work--they improve the game!

I think of myself as one of those people. I joined the RO community in March of this year when I was looking for a shooter besides Halo PC that would meet my computer's system requirements. RO's smart, intelligent gameplay has won me over completely. There are many others on this forum who can attest to the same conversion experience. Ostfront alone in these last few months has converted hundreds as HoS's publicity has soared. The servers are bursting at the seams as newly arrived players exuberantly exclaim, "Hey I just got my first bayonet kill!"

And here's a news flash for you: people DO care about authenticity, which is WHY ROHOS is being made! Tripwire was founded by realism nuts--have you seen Wilsonam's WWII reading suggestion list? Or did you think the 1:1 scale RO2 maps based on actual real-world locations were just marketing gimmicks?

In the Markeedragon interview, Gibson himself says, "Nobody was making a WW2 game--well actually, nobody was making a shooter that played the way we wanted it to play. Nobody was doing the authenticity, the level of detail, the realism that we wanted in a game that we wanted to play." That's a direct quote. News flash for you, bud--games like that ARE being made!

But I'm getting off-topic. In short, there is a lot of forum drama going on lately, and I hope somebody with decision-making power can look past the occasionally hysterical posts and see the basis for our concerns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im not against unlocks but truth is a really good game needs no unlocks to keep people playing. ROOST, PR & FH2 are good examples, people play them because theyre good and fun, and not to get the next item and quit.

While unlocks overall arent bad and can make a supah duper epic game even more fun at start, making every tiny rivet, bolt and w/e unlockable is silly.. Like DICE did in BC2 with vehicle perks/unlocks, stripping away stuff that tanks should have by default and making people choose between mandatory stuff like coaxial MG and smoke.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice found OP ;) I really like how the game is forming up.

About unlocks :)

People are always saying for example, that unlocks should be their avatar is shooting his rifle a lot and gets used to it and therefore he gets a lower recoil. But what happens when the soildier dies? ( you die one time in the game ) Shouldn't you be losing your unlock then? :rolleyes:

About the bayonet part, It might be bad that it turned out to be an unlock but that doesn't make the game bad overall. Do like me, just pretend you are one of the unlucky soldiers who didn't get a bayonet because of the low supplies, while you watch your other teamates have the bayo and think, "Crap I didn't get the bayo" And just feel the unfairness of war. :( (DON'T PANIC! you'll get it anyway just not in the start. )

I mean have you never seen Enemy at the gates when they are storming the germans with just a rifle (without bayo ) and no ammo, or ammo without the rifle... :p

Anyway if anyone got offended by my post I didn't mean it :eek:

Oh, and don't forget :IS2:

Upvote 0
None of it bothers me.

Tripwire listens to their fanbase, and if enough of you whine they will probably change things like your precious bayonets being unlocks. How many bayonet kills do you get in 1 match anyway? Less than 10? Less than 5? An average of 0-1? You'll survive, believe me.

And once you do unlock the bayonets, you won't care about it anymore.

I'm just glad Tripwire is at least attempting to do something new and potentially represent the various forms of combat in war. Like it or not, there were troops who may have entered combat without their bayonets fixed, even though they had one available to them. Same as there may have been troops who wore their uniform a bit differently, or used captured weapons. None of these things are outside the realm of plausibility.

It could be that I'm just sick of playing WW2 shooters where everyone is an exact carbon copy of each other, carrying the same exact kit and wearing perfectly kept uniforms with polished boots and well oiled weapons. That's a reenactor's fantasy. I want to get the rest of the picture, and these unlocks help with that. Players won't be drastically different but they will have some "breathing room" with options based on real-world equipment and some extra bonuses based on veteran status.

I just have to say it really bothers me that some long-time supporters of the game and the devs are suddenly questioning EVERYTHING because of some silly unlock. Don't let such trivial things ruin a potential GOTY.

Upvote 0
http://pcgamingtips.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-dont-believe-hype.html

The attempted COD land grab by TWI (historically implausible weapons, unlocks, etc.) has further alienated their existing dedicated community, and to my eyes is not going to be sufficient to capture any real segment of the mainstream market without losing many from the existing core.
Just some random blog, but he has a lot of good points.

Last edited:
Upvote 0