• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is suppression realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRIZZLY

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Not trying to provoke any arguing with this but is suppression realistic? I've personally never had a gun shot at me or truly felt that death is imminent so I can't really be sure what it's like. To the human eye, does saturation actually change like that naturally? (Alcohol does it kinda.... adrenalin might too?) In RO1 I felt pretty darned suppressed when MG42 bullets where slapping into the sandbags I was ducking behind... seems kinda superfluous...

Even if suppression doesnt give that blurry effect (i wouldnt know either, i like in the UK = strict as hell gun laws) it stops you from thinking your Mr.Rambo killing machine, which my friend isnt the aim of the game here, and it will actually save your life if you keep your head down instead of trying to go for that 'maybe pop shot' kill.

Personally, it add the 'OH S*** IMMA TAKIN FIRE I NEED BACKUP!' factor, which adds immersion which i love :D :IS2:

Upvote 0
Adrenalin dump might be associated with tunnel vision (though what's in the narrower field of view might seem sharper or more vivid). Definitely associated with shaking hands and loss of fine motor coordination. People often report a sense that time is slowing down (like zed time in Killing Floor)!

Difficult to 'recreate' exactly in a computer game, but the effects we've seen in videos looked like a reasonable 'simulation'.

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
I was a police officer for 30 years involved in a few life threatening situations. I experienced the adrenalin boost, tunnel vision and slow motion feeling when I fired my service revolver. You want to remain calm but the stress gives you very unusual feelings never experienced before. Is the suppression realistic in the video game? Probably not exactly like in real life but it simulates the fact that things are not normal around you and you are very aware of your survival instinct and the need for cover.

Upvote 0
I was a police officer for 30 years involved in a few life threatening situations. I experienced the adrenalin boost, tunnel vision and slow motion feeling when I fired my service revolver. You want to remain calm but the stress gives you very unusual feelings never experienced before. Is the suppression realistic in the video game? Probably not exactly like in real life but it simulates the fact that things are not normal around you and you are very aware of your survival instinct and the need for cover.

Thanks for sharing the experience, now I have a very small idea of what it's like. The suppression system makes much more sense now.

I still agree with the OP however, that RO1 actually slaps you in the face with the suppression. When I hear bullets fly by in RO1, it just screams in my face 'Get down or you're not gonna live to see RO2!!!'.
Especially the sound effect gave that feeling.
Although it might be more realistic in RO2, I felt like it missed that scream in my head to get down immediately.
But since we haven't played the game yet, I will see how it will be in the final version.

Upvote 0

Nice thank you :)

Upvote 0
I was in the USMC and did 2 tours in Iraq. It's not quite like the game but it's a viable substitution. You definately keep your head down, have a bunch of thoughts rush through your head (some tactical others not so much) and there is a bit of a slow motion effect. Not so much what you see is slow motion, but the concept of time completely changes. What seems like minutes is only seconds. Pretty crazy. In RO, like previously said, since you just respawn the suppression effect they added is pretty legit.

Upvote 0
in a game you will never fear for your life, suppression is a system that can make people act differently and more realistic when under fire.

No it doesn't make it more realistic TBH as you've absolutely no way of knowing who would and wouldn't flinch under fire not everyone reacts the same under fire - ask the army - hence heroes etc

All many of the suppression systems do is an incureable fix to your aim and a degree of randomness that need not be there

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
While the visual effects might not occur in real-life, the whole point of it is to simulate the fear and emotions when your'e being shot at, which I think it did perfectly in RO1, I've never played another game where I felt so keen to hug the ground and just keep my head down when being fired upon, especially by an MG42. Excellent.

Also, I'm reading With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge, and he describes everything being very much a blur when they crossed the airfield at peleliu, of course, they came under heavy artillery fire there, so it's different.

Also, I'm guessing that more skilled soldiers (heroes etc.) will get less effects from surpression? That would be quite logical, since I guess the fear you get the first time you're being fired upon is reduced when you get more and more "used" to it.
Then again, for some, I guess it can get worse and worse instead, and their minds collapse eventually.

Upvote 0
No it doesn't make it more realistic TBH as you've absolutely no way of knowing who would and wouldn't flinch under fire not everyone reacts the same under fire - ask the army - hence heroes etc

All many of the suppression systems do is an incureable fix to your aim and a degree of randomness that need not be there

So you're saying since you can't model the actual player's realistic reaction to real fire, it's better to not model it at all? So instead of being 100% accurate, you'd rather have 0% accurate suppression modeling?

Sounds to me like you're making perfection the enemy of good.

Upvote 0
The suppression effect is not realistic, but what it does for the game is great.

I play a fair amount of (ie too much) paintball and let me tell you, when you're getting shot at, even if the projectiles will just sting if they hit you, you are NOT going to rambo up, leap out of cover and start engaging. You hunker the **** down and make sure your hands/*** aren't sticking out. :D

One of the scariest things to do is peek out over the top, time it wrong and PAP! That'll leave a nasty bruise. :eek:

Nothing but respect for those who play this "game" with live ammunition, as a service for their countries.

Upvote 0
No what i like is a level playing field where i hit or miss because of my aim not some random induce effect

But thats my argument with all surpression system not just RO or DH ones tbh

I havent tried the new one in HOS yet so cant really say how much it will effect aim - but most advocating it aint tried it either.

Was just saying i'm against surpression or anything else that induces randomness in hit reg

Upvote 0

Hmmm.

I've been suppressed in RO and still made shots, continued rampage, made a move, etc. I've also hit the dirt and hid.

It is a player's choice to make a move or take cover; the same as in real life.

IMHO, the game is at greater risk by allowing people with time in game to be more immune to it than others. The effect it will actually have to gameplay remains to be seen.

The point is that there is an undeniable physiological effect of being under fire. What one does under those effects is their choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been at the range out on the 300m line once when some ****wits ingnored a cease fire and started shooting. The crack a rifle projectile makes when it passes close to you is not pleasant at all and does make you want to hug the ground as closely as possible pretty effectively :D

Same thing happened to me... f*** me, but that was scary. :eek:

One thing though, most suppression comes from the way a game is designed and plays, only a small portion comes from a suppression effect itself. This is why, if a game like RO wants to have somewhat realistic suppression it has to go way over the top in terms of "restricting" the player. ArmA2 on the other hand only has very minor suppression effects and most of it simply comes from the way the game is designed and played.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.