• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need help choosing a new joystick...

Bobdog

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Texas
So I want a new joystick. I'm using an Saitek ST290 now, and had bought a Cyborg Evo Force, but it never worked well enough (the rudder twist was loose, and it doesn't return to neutral effectively).

The problem is that I'm left handed so it is somewhat hard to find a good joystick. I'm looking for a joystick which is ambidextrous, and <$100 (so no CH Products). Unfortunately since they were bought by MadCatz Saitek has stopped making good ambidextrous joystick (their crap low end one doesn't count), so they are out. So far I've only found these two:

Logitech Attack 3
Thrustmaster T.16000

Do any of you guys have either of these? If so, what do you think of them? Does anyone know of any other good ambidextrous joysticks I haven't found yet?

Last edited:
Ultimately I think you should consider just learning to use a stick in your right hand. Pilots don't get to chose whether they are left or right handed. Drivers either. You deal with the vehicle you get into as to how it's set up.

I thought about forcing myself to learn to fly right handed, but then I'd have to mouse left handed which isn't possible on my desk.

Also, it if you don't like your cars with right hand drive, just move to a country that drives on the correct side :p

Upvote 0
I know that the Thrustmaster stick was generally regarded at PC Pilot to be a good stick. I've not used either so I can't comment personally, although I was considering buying the Thrustmaster myself a while back before learning that the new IL2 wasn't very good.

Also JC if you've ever played ArmA with Bobdog you will know that your list is in the wrong order.

Upvote 0
That thing you call "joystick" here sure sounds kinky...:eek:

Especially when it's from Thrustmaster.

But on Topic:

You could try for an used Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. I have one for years now, and it's quite good, as long as you don't need a proper Flightstick. I can recommend the Saitek X52, which can be bought quite cheaply if you go for a used one.

EDIT: Dammit, overlooked the left handy part. Carry on then, nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Must....not...make...joke..about...bobdog...unable...to....fly.

Dunno, if Apple has the same policy with joysticks as it does with mice then it's not too surprising. One button simply isn't enough.
faceg.gif

Upvote 0
Before I bought myself an FFB2 I talked to many of the top RoF pilots and my squadron mates and how much time you put into it and/or how quickly you can adjust should play a big part. At least in RoF due to their thin wing profiles many planes have very harsh and surprising stall characteristics so feeling the airflow via FFB is an advantage, especially if you do not fly 5 hours or more per week.

I only use 0.4 force setting, =FB=Vaal even uses only 0.35 so we basically have the hint of airflow but it is not really that strong, it just helps with flying those bastard planes like the Camel or Dolphin.

One problem with the FFB sticks is in sustained turns because you can easily get fooled into turning tighter and tigher because the stick forces will go lower and lower, you just have to keep an eye on the ASI. With a T16000M you will need muscle memory and a lot of experience/practice to fly sustained turns well though and scissors can become tricky.

Accuracy wise the FFB2 is pretty much the best but it shares that quality with a few other sticks like the T16000M, warthog, CH fighter stick etc. The Fighter stick has the advantage of the long throw, but at the same time it also makes you slower in quick manoeuvres.

Of course Clouds of Duty doesn't even support FFB properly so in that game (if you can get it to run without stuttering) a non-FFB stick is not really a loss so you will have to decide what game you primarily want the stick for.

Chosing between the Logitech and the T.16000M is a no-brainer though, definitely the T.16000M.

edit:

if you look at these:

http://riseofflight.com/en/community/leaderboard/Multiplayer

J99*Sizzlorr: had a T.16000M, now uses a FFB2 and prefers it.

=FB=Vaal: as mentioned, FFB2

Josh Echo: T.16000M but has never tried Force Feedback in general

hq Peter Zvan: one of my squadron mates, he owns and has flown with a Logitech Attack stick, T.16000M, FFB2 and CH Fighter Stick and he prefers the T.16000M because he has the muscle memory and he flew with it before he got the FFB2 and the Fighter Stick

=FB=VikS: CH Fighter Stick

J2_vonHuetz: MS Prevision 2 iirc, basically an MS FFB2 without FFB but the same accurate potentiometers.

Mind you these are basically most of the best pilots in RoF and what they use might not be relevant to you. Most of my squadron mates who generally fly less than these guys have tried and since converted to using the FFB2. Some use the Logitech G940 because it has pedals and throttle but it is inferior in both accuracy and FFB afaik. Haven't tried one though.

Must....not...make...joke..about...bobdog...unable...to....fly.

You two should fly some duels, I can put the duel mission on the second server for you ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0