• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

playing as firebug: am i really helping the team?

It is not really the flames that bother me because a good firebug doesn't spray everywhere. It's when the zeds are lit up when I'm playing sharpshooter and I can't make out the head of the scrake behind them because of this. :mad:

Generally firebug in the back is probably better since he is rather fragile, though sometimes putting him in the front can be useful. Obviously having good supports to make sure he doesn't killed by charging gorefasts is important, but when you don't have reliable sharpshooters and a long, narrow path for the zeds to travel tanking husks can be huge.

edit - my fps also tend to lower when I'm too close to a firebug spraying flames, but maybe that's just me.

Upvote 0
I'm a level 5 firebug and I love it. I do remember having an hard time at lower levels when the fuel canisters were small and took forever to reload.

Another advantage of the firebug is that your fuel and mac10 ammunition is super cheap and easy to replenish on the map with ammo boxes . I often skip a trip to the trader if my armor is still above 80%.

Upvote 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wKajSSqrGkSpeaking of which, where are the firebug videos Jester? Rage!

Well you see the problem is... I don't like using torrents, and getting decent software for free is a real pain. Plus I'm shy :D

But since you asked :)

Unfortunately my microphone on my headset is UBER sensitive. Picks up everything, including my mouse clicks, so there is alot of background noise unfortuantely. Plus Fraps trial only gives me 30 seconds of record time. Hence its in 2 parts.

Ah well, was an interested experience :)

Upvote 0
Most of the people posting are high levels and playing HoE/Suicidal, the OP is still on normal at level 3 'bug.

I'd say 2 - 3 firebug is almost overpowered for normal mode, if you don't consider ammo, nothing below a fleshpound can really bother you at range. With ammo constraints, you can afford to be somewhat spammy with your fire and everything drops nearly instantaneously.

Clots, gores (admittedly these burn for a few seconds longer than clots), stalkers, and crawlers are nothing to your flamethrower. Scrakes can be taken down alone, and with even one other person to help you, like a commando or support, they're ridiculously easy. Bloats pop quickly to bursts of flame (decreased fire resistance), sirens aren't too tough, husks really can't hurt you, and the fleshpound can be dealt with by your 5 teammates who are watching you in awe.

I don't even carry a mac-10 with my flamer on normal or hard, just a handcannon for husks and any time my primary is too cumbersome.

Hell on Earth? Don't even try it unless you're a maestro of firebug and don't mind being occasionally outshined by other perks.

Upvote 0
But since you asked :)

Unfortunately my microphone on my headset is UBER sensitive. Picks up everything, including my mouse clicks, so there is alot of background noise unfortuantely. Plus Fraps trial only gives me 30 seconds of record time. Hence its in 2 parts.

Ah well, was an interested experience :)

Hrm...now the question is...who has a sexier accent? You or Smiff....

OT: Those kinds of videos aren't on YT i don't think. Every firebug video is about how to power level the bug and not how to use the perk.

Reactions: Undedd Jester
Upvote 0
am i really helping my team by playing firebug? i mean actually pulling my weight, like...just...whatever.

preface: i am only a level 3 firebug that usually plays on normal.

lets start with burning zeds/DOT-it seems worthless. in order to make your ammo last through later waves but....little problem here...i often find myself without room to let them burn. also spraying makes zeds hard to see. if i don't have room to let them burn, i have to hose them down, again going back to running out of ammo.

in almost every game i've played(not just kf), average spike damage>>>high DOT over a long period of time.

about the only thing he seems good at is panic situations, but i have to wonder if those would happen less if i were playing commando or support.

Firebug is meant to quickly kill groups of weaker enemies so they team can focus on the stronger stuff. This means that you'll be incinerating Clots, Crawlers, and Stalkers by the dozen. Are you doing that? If so, then yes, you're helping your team.

It's far from an absolute way to tell, but hold down TAB and look at the kills. As a Firebug killing weak enemies en-masse you should be one of the top 2 on the kill board (A Commando or Demolitionist may have more kills than you). If you're at the middle, it's probably okay, but if you're at the bottom, something may be wrong.

Upvote 0
Firebug is meant to quickly kill groups of weaker enemies so they team can focus on the stronger stuff.

I view firebug a little differently. While I agree with you he should focus on the weaker stuff, I think he should focus on setting them on fire so they are one shot kills for every other perk. I view the firebug as a "force multiplier" for everyone else in the group.

This also extends the "lethality circle" farther from the group.

Upvote 0
Hrm...now the question is...who has a sexier accent? You or Smiff....

OT: Those kinds of videos aren't on YT i don't think. Every firebug video is about how to power level the bug and not how to use the perk.

Smiff always calls me a 3 letter word meaning cigarette whenever he talks...

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0