• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Skillful Footage

barakas

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
So first off, I would actually like to say that I think the game looks great and have enjoyed watching the new footage released from Prague and San Fran.

Now onto the gripes.

Rather than showing footage of random journo's battling it out in a way that makes RO bots look good, why not show some skilfully edited footage of spec'd games of the friends and family beta that show the game the way its meant to be played?

I've heard a lot of complaints about previews from Prague / San Fran of people who didn't "get" what RO is supposed to be, thinking it a lesser CoD clone.

I'd wager in part a lot of this is because people have been trying to play it like CoD, and that a lot of the footage shown has either been against bots of people who've only played the game for 5 minutes.

Even with all the streamlining and casual concessions that have been made in RO2, its still a radically different type of FPS, and I bet it still takes time to "get" how to play RO differently to other shooters.

Surely it takes less effort to get one of the beta testers to record a game and then edit it together, than it does to arrange one of these press dohickeys, and I think the footage that came out of it would be a much better representation of what the game can be at its best.

Completely agree on the Bots > Journalists thingy, if the title didnt say multiplayer i'd think those are bots hes fighting there. :)
Im trying to "promote" RO where I can, be it some forumz or friends.. there was some good response to the screenies, the videos not so much.. I didnt even bother showing the vids to some friends coz I thought it would have more of a negative effect on less open minded people. The 1st impression is the most important imo, and it has to be good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think TWI should make a gameplay video of the game where everything is already planned and where players should follow strict orders (A machine gunner will kill many allies, then a tank will come and blow him up ^^)

like Dice did with bfbc2.. and the result was awesome.

But here, with the RO style. It would be awesome and sells the game much better than what we can see now, for example with the bots who looks dumb.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with this as well. These kinds of videos might actually do more harm than good if viewed by the uninitiated players. For us RO vets they are delicious because we know that to look for, but most people don't.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if there was some official footage being released around the same time, but when these cam videos are the only recent media available they get so much focus that many potential players might get turned off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree, all the videos have been either mechanics showoffs and the journos recording some random guy running around.

We need some good, quality footage, that we can wave around proudly as a community. I have friends who will nit pick and decide if a game is a buy or not just from its footage, I'm sure others are like that too.

What I suggest is some HD, MP, at least a 10v10 match, and take bits out and all, we need some eye candy, show them how the game REALLY plays at itsfull potential!

Upvote 0