• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Three new videos (German/Russian and mutliplayer).

My unit alone has about 40 active members from 14 to 40. While they don't care much for COD/CSS style game play, they are a growing market segment that is looking for a product that will provide them an experience in the following: immersion, historical accuracy and a tactical shooter approach to the FPS genre.

When I posted that the in-game voices will be in accented English on our forums, I was surprised that they hated the idea and wanted to hear Russians speak Russian and Germans speak Deutsch. Since there has never been or probably never will be a Band of Brothers series made on the Eastern Front, I was hoping that RO2 would be the media that would provide me that experience, a bridge if you will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My unit alone has about 40 active members from 14 to 40. While they don't care much for COD/CSS style game play, they are a growing market segment that is looking for a product that will provide them an experience in the following: immersion, historical accuracy and a tactical shooter approach to the FPS genre.

When I posted that the in-game voices will be in accented English on our forums, I was surprised that they hated the idea and wanted to hear Russians speak Russian and Germans speak Deutsch. Since there has never been or probably never will be a Band of Brothers series made on the Eastern Front, I was hoping that RO2 would be the media that would provide me that experience, a bridge if you will.

They will speak Russian, and they will speak Deutsch, just not while they are your team mates. Did you tell them that? You will hear german and russian shouts when you throw a grenade at their feet, and you will here them insult you in german/russian as they load you with bullets. But when someone yells "GRENADE!" you can understand it, because after all, you speak the same language as your army right? If you didn't that would be silly and confusing. Very few people are bilingual, especially in the USA, so its kinda unfair to make the talking foreign, as it would make Russian and German players have advantages.

Its not that Russian team mates aren't speaking Russian, its that they are speaking universal language. If your in France Russians will speak french, if your in Canada they will speak english, if your in China they will speak Chinese.

I don't seem to see people complaining when movies are translated...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just hope that there will be no bugs wth the battle chatter like if 2 guys are sneaking up on the enemy and one decides to reload and he starts yelling RELOADING!!! and reveal their position

lol,
This i've to agree with but one of the devs made it clear a few pages ago that its quite a smart and dynamic system they have in RO2 :). Still i can't help but laugh at my former experience with these kinda systems(mostly later cod, bf's)..

"i'm behind a guy i hit the reload and some godforsaken automatic voice line has to scream RELOADING to everyone on the server" I'm all for immersion but I'm one of those who just love the old-school manual voice command(s), were i decide what i say :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(I mean no offense with the following statement) I am actually really fed up with english/american in games and movies. RO1 really made my day with native language. Hearing english just makes me feel like I am playing bastogne with a mosin, instead of stalingrad in winter.

Perhaps I will be corrected if I am wrong, but Ramm already said that your allied soldiers will speak in whatever language your copy is localized for.

E.g. if you purchase a German or Dutch version, you will hear those languages and not English.

Upvote 0
The death scream actually sounded really similar to ro 1 death scream
Idk about RO1 death sound but I heard clearly KF hurt grunting :D

EDIT: About that voice localization. I like the original chatter, axis talking german and allies talking russian. Like in BC2 Vietnam I dont know vietnamesse but after a few games I learned the lines and now I know what are they saying. I mean guys come on, they are not telling you a sleeping story or what happened in some movie... The basic combat commands are easy to learn. Ill play 5-20 rounds and I will learn what germans are saying. Im bulgarian so I understand about 70% of the russian chatter : P

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you play long enough (which isn't that long) then you will learn the commands.

There's a general difference between learning robotic, easy to repeat phrases and something bit more dynamic chatter which might be unrelated to basic "Grenade, machinegun, enemy, help, ammo needed, attack, tank, thanks, no, mandatory insult." that consists of 100% of the chatter in RO:Ost. What if one of the soldiers would suddenly say "My crotch is itching", or "there's a giant enemy crab", or "I forgot to write in my diary", or "there's a bug in my boot" or "I wonder how many kills I get today harhar" or "I miss my family" (or something random like that which still would fall within realism itself that soldiers have other things to talk about than har murder har frags har grenade buah ah ah haa insult) at the beginning of the round or at really rare quiet moment? Nice details but unless you're relatively fluent at the language the odds are you're wondering what the hell they're babbling about because it's not the standard repetition you are used to hearing when it comes to language.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At first I was against English voices, but then I thought about it...

In game, people will speak English/German/Russian over VOIP regardless of what team they are anyways.

Hearing Germans speaking German-accented English in RO2 won't be any less immersive than hearing some guy from Texas drawling over VOIP in RO:Ost. So what's the problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I'll admit I'd still prefer the Germans to speak german and the Russians Russian. But after reading the very thorough explanations with the extensive amount of battle chatter going on, you are all making it very hard for me to criticize :p

Most likely I'm just getting last minute jitters and will be floored with most or all of the features when I get to play the game. Make no mistake, I'm buying the game whether I'm nitpicking things here at the last minute or not :D

My knee jerk response was one of shock, surprise and disappointment, but I'm also coming around. Originally, I was thinking, why not German / Russian dialog with subtitles. But that could be overwhelming when we're looking at 3000 lines of battle chatter. I would think there would be times when people are talking over each other, so you'll have to have multiple subtitles going.

I'll reserve criticism for after playing it. If it really would help, I would hope that TWI would allow players to simply switch their "localization" language in an update down the road. After all, people with different localization languages must be able to play against each other on the Internet. What does it matter where they physically are. Subtitles would help.

Something funny I just realized. If you're playing the German localized version, while on the Soviet campaign, your guys will speak German with a Russian accent, while the enemy will speak German with a German accent. Can't we all just get along?!

Upvote 0
Yes, you may speak very well the Dutchness and Englishness - but me (and 90% of the gameplaying population) don't.
I just wanted to mention how it would decrease immersion for the people who can understand it. I am not one of the advocates of the 'You will learn it while playing' arguments. I am fully aware of your reasoning and I completely agree that it is the best for most of the players.
We may add the option in at a later date to allow people to play with "native" voice, instead of their base language. Just remember we are also having to make priority decisions now about what is included NOW, SOON, or LATER! We're only a small company... switchable voice packs matters to a (relatively) small number of the audience and won't break the game if it has to wait until later!
I am truly glad that the option is considered, that's all I wanted. I am probably not the only one here who thinks that 'considered and rejected' is so much better than not considered at all! I do understand if it's too much work (you have to walk the dog sometime;))
I truly appreciate all the effort you (and the rest of TWI) put in the game. 3000 lines, jeez, thats a lot! Anyway it works out, I will enjoy the 3000 lines of voice chatter a lot, whether english or native:cool:

Perhaps I will be corrected if I am wrong, but Ramm already said that your allied soldiers will speak in whatever language your copy is localized for.

E.g. if you purchase a German or Dutch version, you will hear those languages and not English.

First, localized to Dutch is extremely rare and definately not needed/wanted.
I might be Dutch, but that doesn't mean I want friendlies to speak dutch... Dutch is the most uncool language there is:rolleyes:. I would like (not need, as I explained above) the native language, not my language per se.
Also german localization would be awful... half of the time it's correct, the other half it's still wrong (russians speaking german...)

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
I'm not sure how I missed out on this thread, but since I just discovered it, I'll put in my 2 cents:

Overall, I'm happy to see how the game has come along, particularly in the grenade and wall-chipping bullet effects. While I tend to go more for hardcore realism than relaxed realism in my RO, I understand that so far TWI has really made a lot of people curious about RO2, and by aiming for a golden mean between Arma and CoD they will sell a few million copies of the game in its original state, which will mean the pool of modders and tweakers will be much bigger to give us players more options in how the game plays and looks.

Reactions: nebsif
Upvote 0
At first I was against English voices, but then I thought about it...

In game, people will speak English/German/Russian over VOIP regardless of what team they are anyways.

Hearing Germans speaking German-accented English in RO2 won't be any less immersive than hearing some guy from Texas drawling over VOIP in RO:Ost. So what's the problem?

Unless i feel the urge to participate in the public conversation I'll have voip volume lowered or turned off completely.
For the most part i'm using Teamspeak/Vent for conversation with folks i know.

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0