• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just Proned Out a Crackhead in my Back Yard

Wouldn't it wind up with more trouble for you, anyways, if you shot to wound?

Yep. You wind up with a LOT more issues in civil court.

In the situation today, for instance, if the crackhead had been armed, and I had used deadly force against her (rather than just the threat of it), and she died ... I could perhaps have been sued in civil court for wrongful death. Except ... that since she'd just gotten done beating up the two people who would have had standing (as family members) to sue ... I think I'd probably have gotten a heartfelt thank you note from them.

HOWEVER, if she'd lived ... then I'd be responsible for her medical care, pain and suffering, emotional distress, etc. It would be, in general, a LOT more expensive.

That said, I'm glad I didn't have to shoot her.

Reactions: Nimsky and Mormegil
Upvote 0
Except ... that since she'd just gotten done beating up the two people who would have had standing (as family members) to sue ... I think I'd probably have gotten a heartfelt thank you note from them.

Thank you for ridding us of that terrible burden my daughter had become. None of us had the heart to put one through her cranium like you did and now the city is a little more safe. Luckily we have another child on the go, and we think we've learned a few more parenting tricks by now. Wish us luck!

Somehow, I think not.

Upvote 0

In the situation today, for instance, if the crackhead had been armed, and I had used deadly force against her (rather than just the threat of it), and she died ... I could perhaps have been sued in civil court for wrongful death. Except ... that since she'd just gotten done beating up the two people who would have had standing (as family members) to sue ... I think I'd probably have gotten a heartfelt thank you note from them.

HOWEVER, if she'd lived ... then I'd be responsible for her medical care, pain and suffering, emotional distress, etc. It would be, in general, a LOT more expensive.

Thank God I live in Texas!

Upvote 0

That sounds like a giant pain in the ***. I thought America was a free for all when it came to guns lol.

So wouldn't it have been better to stay inside and call the cops instead? Less of a chance you would have to shoot the person?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That sounds like a giant pain in the ***. I thought America was a free for all when it came to guns lol.

So wouldn't it have been better to stay inside and call the cops instead? Less of a chance you would have to shoot the person?

As the facts known to me existed at the time, there was more of a chance, tbh.

Even in California, which is notoriously bad about self defense and using a gun, if you confront an intruder in your home, you are presumed to be in fear for your life, and deadly force is authorized. (This presumption is rebuttable, however.) If she came through a plate glass door at me ... that would have been bad. She would have been in my kitchen, with lots of knives handy, even if she wasn't already armed.

In the backyard, the only weapon she would have had handy is a ~300 lb barbecue grill which she could have thrown at me, I suppose. :p

Calling the cops is great, but here's a problem: when seconds count, the cops are minutes away. There is plenty of legal precedent that says the police are not, in fact, under any sort of duty to protect you. I did not have any sort of knowledge that the police were at that moment in the street 2 houses down from me and looking for her. If I had known that, though, I still would have done what I did ... I just would have kept her waiting for them.

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
Just so we're clear, I would like to point out that I did say that I'm glad I didn't have to do it, right? I don't actually go around wanting to kill. I'd rather not. As a responsible gun owner, though, I have thought through the issues involved.

Easy, man. We're not saying the contrary :eek:

Btw, a few months ago, a guy came to my cousin's store with a gun. He starter yelling at everyone, demanding money (My aunt, and her two sons were the only people there at the moment, because they were about to close). My aunt was too scared and gave him the money shaking and dropped some. The mad felon the punched her in the face angry, and then my cousin (the guy with the shortest temper I've ever met in my entire life), lost it. He jumped over the thief and started a fight for the gun with a rain of fist, while my other cousin was about to join in, a bullet got him in the buttocks :)p)

My first cousin finally grabbed the gun, and tried to surrender the felon, but that idiot jumped back for his gun. My cousin shot twice. When the police arrived, he was lying barely alive, but died in the ambulance. All they said was: "one less garbage out there". Kind of sad, but he had it coming :s

I was amazed he didn't has such big legal troubles, but maybe because the guy was shot with his own gun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was amazed he didn't has such big legal troubles, but maybe because the guy was shot with his own gun.

Seriously lucky. Once the perp was disarmed, legally any self defense you use must be "proportional" at least in California. Meaning you can't shoot him. Of course since he was going for the gun again (even if he didn't have it, but had it in arms reach), that could be enough grounds he was still "armed."

Upvote 0
1_the_right_to_bear_arms.jpg

:p

Glad to hear that you are ok :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, that was also me.

Haha, I didn't know that. Do you mind retelling the story? Or maybe link to the original post. I've heard about it from SiC but have never read the story myself. Sounds pretty badass, chasing a burglar with a Mosin. :D

The right to keep and bear arms should be standard in every country...

Upvote 0
Haha, I didn't know that. Do you mind retelling the story? Or maybe link to the original post. I've heard about it from SiC but have never read the story myself. Sounds pretty badass, chasing a burglar with a Mosin. :D

The right to keep and bear arms should be standard in every country...

Right here.

Follow-up to that story: I did get a couple months of peace and quiet after that, but they came back for round 4 a couple months later and kicked in the front door for a quick smash-and-grab. We started working hard toward buying a house at that point, and moved to a very nice neighborhood in a far nicer city. Buuut I seem to be a magnet for worthless people.

Upvote 0
Good to hear you're okay, we just recently had our neighborhood's only problem arrested, although this is the millionth time he's been arrested, this time it's probably for a while.

The guy does a bunch of drug dealing and theft, mostly. We've had him and his friends break into our cars and steal CD's and other crap. A while ago him and his friends drove around town with a BB gun and shot out windows of cars or at people driving down the road with their windows open. If I remember right, it was reported that they had caused nearly $100,000 in damages. Every once in a while, when we drive past his house, we can see his truck's window's smashed. Every time he replaces it, eventually somebody drives by and smashes it, which is kinda funny.

Anyways, just last month his house was raided and was charged with around 12 counts of drug possession, (Described as "Drug Possession: Non-Marijuana), intent to sell, drug paraphernalia, drug trafficking, and possession of an illegal firearm (unregistered handgun).

Upvote 0
Right here.

Follow-up to that story: I did get a couple months of peace and quiet after that, but they came back for round 4 a couple months later and kicked in the front door for a quick smash-and-grab. We started working hard toward buying a house at that point, and moved to a very nice neighborhood in a far nicer city. Buuut I seem to be a magnet for worthless people.

Hot damn, you were so unlucky. Sounds like a bad part of town. Glad you're okay.

Self defense is kind of a double-edged sword here in the Netherlands. On one hand I'm a huge believer in the right to own firearms, but on the other hand crime is pretty low here, so it's not very necessary either. I mean it's possible to own firearms but AFAIK it's kind of a bureaucratic process and I don't think you could legally use a gun in self defense. Not that I'm sad about it, just... well, I guess I am a bit sad about it.

I should really go shooting some time.

Upvote 0
Right here.

wow thats ****ty, I'm quite sure if I got my house busted into that many times I would be waiting with a loaded gun and the intention the scare the **** out of / fire upon the perpetrator. Wonder if its legal to put his head on a pike in the front yard afterwards? ( greatest deterant EVER )

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0