• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Soviet mp's for German soldiers?

Soviet mp's for German soldiers?

• Total voters

Ragnarök

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2009
Reichshauptstadt
I wondered if it was a good idea to give a certain percentage of Wehrmacht assault class players access to a Russian machine pistol like the ppsh 41?

There are several photos showing Wehrmacht soldiers equipped with captured Soviet machine pistols in Stalingrad (of course one can also pick up the gun of a fallen enemy soldier, but quite often a player dies while doing so - at least in RO 1):

(All of the pics are actually from Stalingrad.)

So what do you think should some assault class players have access to enemy weaponry from beginning on or should it be only made accessible during game play?

Last edited:
would this be choose able you would it randomly spawn you with it?
I vote yes.

I'm just wondering about this and the other rare weapons because you don't really want
all the the German assault guys to all choose to use this...

Maybe it would have weapon limits within a class.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm gonna say no just because doing it the old fashioned way is just more interesting.

People will know you've put some work in when they see you running around with a captured weapon.

[/agree]

People were not handed enemy made weapons when they exited where they were coming from, they had to find the weapons themselves. I prefer having your own teams weapons until you come across a different one on the ground that youd prefer having. I understand in some ro:eek:st custom maps people implemented one team having the option to spawn with enemy weapons, and thats how it should stay. In custom maps where people manually put the option in (or if TWI makes a map that way). Not every map has the option :/

Upvote 0
Or PPSh only for veterans. Such a move would be reasonable.
You can add counter "how much time you spent in the game", and after 500h (or more) you will unlock PPSh.

Or one year after activation game on Steam, game will unlock PPSh automatically.
Sometimes it is worth to wait.

But even without that I will be happy!

Upvote 0
It was just a honest suggestion after all the use of captured enemy weaponry was rather common.

The PPSh was popular in the German armies as well, and captured examples were frequently returned to service against their former owners. Because of the very close dimensional similarities between the Soviet 7.62x25mm Tokarev and the German 7.63x25mm Mauser cartridge used in the Mauser C96 pistol, the PPSh could fire either cartridge, and was thus easily supplied with ammunition. In fact so many were captured that it became the second-most-common submachinegun used by German forces.
After the German Army captured large numbers of the PPSh-41 during World War II, a program was instituted to convert the weapon to the standard German submachine gun cartridge - 9mm Parabellum. The Wehrmacht officially adopted these converted PPSh-41s as the MP41(r); unconverted PPSh-41s were designated MP717(r) and supplied with 7.63x25mm Mauser in place of the Soviet 7.62x25mm cartridge. German-language manuals for the use of captured PPShs were printed and distributed in the Wehrmacht.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPSh-41

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, because encircled germans with no extra supplies never used soviet weapons.

No man don't you understand no honorable Na- sorry German soldier would sully his hands on soviet weaponry.

Dietrich Graf knows this having spent many hours pretending to be a... ahem... German soldier
Anything else is Bolshevist Propaganda

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobitt
Upvote 0