• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German winter uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uffz.Juschkat

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2010
under a rock
I don't understand why tripwire isn't staying with the mantels (wool trench coats)... First I'd like to say that if you're going to give the Germans parkas, give them ones that existed, because green parkas are non-existent. Use the mouse grey/white or splinter/white parkas. Second, this is Stalingrad MOST Germans had limited winter equipment especially since they were encircled in mid November, so I'd like to point out that they wouldn't have sweaters underneath the parka, but their usual field tunic, and that parkas and sweaters would be very short supply. I've never seen a German with a balaclava... They did have neck warmers and or scarves in which they pulled up to cover their head like the East German example I have posted. Also I doubt that any German soldier would wear his medal like that in combat; While it was common that they wore it like that when just awarded it, they normally just kept the ribbon on the 2nd button hole in their tunic. I've never seen them wear the Iron Cross 2nd class like that on their parkas. Just trying to point out some problems and be helpful.
Thanks

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
  • greypaddedparka.jpg
    greypaddedparka.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 183728.jpg
    183728.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 0
so I'd like to point out that they wouldn't have sweaters underneath the parka

Because three layers of clothing when supposedly engaging in combat means there's poor ventilation and would cause overheating far more easily as physical exercise tends to make the person more warm in one way or another compared to say just two main layers? Even if it's -30 degrees outside having too thick layer of clothing + physical exercise = good way to cripple yourself after you start to warm up.

I've never seen a German with a balaclava... They did have neck warmers and or scarves in which they pulled up to cover their head like the East German example I have posted.

It's way too easy to adjust a togue to be as seen in that screenshot. It isn't rocket science as long as you're just willing to tinker with it for a moment even though it would eventually slip off and reguire minor readjustments. Of course lack of modeling for material streching, heat expansion and friction [and gravity, and interaction between movement and something being loose] in general just makes it look more stupid as it's "glued" onto the model.

First I'd like to say that if you're going to give the Germans parkas, give them ones that existed, because green parkas are non-existent. Use the mouse grey/white or splinter/white parkas.

That parka in your attachment looks slightly greenish (and I am 99.525326431432423,64353453454% sure my monitor colours both on my main PC and laptop are pretty damm well calibrated), and considering the lightning and wear on the uniform it may fall within the shade of being mildly greenish over base grey, but that's still hypothetically under questionmark. Even then green parkas were not AFAIK as rare as often people make it sound like.

Second Splinter parkas did not see life of day in the frontlines until 1943-1944.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't understand why tripwire isn't staying with the mantels (wool trench coats)... First I'd like to say that if you're going to give the Germans parkas, give them ones that existed, because green parkas are non-existent. Use the mouse grey/white or splinter/white parkas. Second, this is Stalingrad MOST Germans had limited winter equipment especially since they were encircled in mid November, so I'd like to point out that they wouldn't have sweaters underneath the parka, but their usual field tunic, and that parkas and sweaters would be very short supply. I've never seen a German with a balaclava... They did have neck warmers and or scarves in which they pulled up to cover their head like the East German example I have posted. Also I doubt that any German soldier would wear his medal like that in combat; While it was common that they wore it like that when just awarded it, they normally just kept the ribbon on the 2nd button hole in their tunic. I've never seen them wear the Iron Cross 2nd class like that on their parkas. Just trying to point out some problems and be helpful.
Thanks

I am not very clear, somebody posted pictures where german troops have their faces masked. Is that the same as a balaclava? Or are there marked differences between the two?

Upvote 0
German parka's came in all sorts of colours and camoflage schemes.

German green parkas:
fpk12001.jpg

fpk2001.jpg

german-ww2-parka-winter-fallschirmjager-eastern-front_330536462464.jpg

Furthermore Feldgrau could sometimes have abit of a green look depending on the type:
!B6)RYpgCWk~$(KGrHqR,!h4Eyc!7o4cgBMyZ4ZKRIQ~~-1_35.JPG

310321932149_1_0_1.jpg

Upvote 0
It's way too easy to adjust a togue to be as seen in that screenshot. It isn't rocket science as long as you're just willing to tinker with it for a moment even though it would eventually slip off and reguire minor readjustments. Of course lack of modeling for material streching, heat expansion and friction [and gravity, and interaction between movement and something being loose] in general just makes it look more stupid as it's "glued" onto the model.

Actually it'll stay put, I've tried it many times before, also with the German tube scarfs as-well. Also some toques have such a long neck piece that you can pull it all together so that not only your mouth & nose are covered, but also the forehead; leaving just a small slit for your eyes, and there's still enough fabric to easily keep the neck covered.

The example below is one such toque where this is possible:
183728.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because three layers of clothing when supposedly engaging in combat means there's poor ventilation and would cause overheating far more easily as physical exercise tends to make the person more warm in one way or another compared to say just two main layers? Even if it's -30 degrees outside having too thick layer of clothing + physical exercise = good way to cripple yourself after you start to warm up.
Yes I know I own a parka, and I've worn it... most the time I just go with my service shirt and button the parka up all the way...

It's just that the sides of the neck warmer go up into the helmet and it looks very much like a balaclava

Second Splinter parkas did not see life of day in the frontlines until 1943-1944.
I was going to say that, but wasn't 100% on when they finally reached the front lines... regardless I think the long coats are the best and most realistic way to go

Upvote 0
I don't understand why tripwire isn't staying with the mantels (wool trench coats)... First I'd like to say that if you're going to give the Germans parkas, give them ones that existed, because green parkas are non-existent. Use the mouse grey/white or splinter/white parkas. Second, this is Stalingrad MOST Germans had limited winter equipment especially since they were encircled in mid November, so I'd like to point out that they wouldn't have sweaters underneath the parka, but their usual field tunic, and that parkas and sweaters would be very short supply.

I'm not that sure any more, if the German winter gear really was that extremely limited/rare in Stalingrad after all there are quite some pics showing Germans in Stalingrad with winter camo.

check out these posts:
#13, #26, #28, #32http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=523009&postcount=28

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The point that I am trying to make is that RO strives for realism. The fact is at this point in the war the common thing to see would be the m36/m40 pattern long coats, and maybe a grey/white parka every now and then. You should strive for what was the most common, not throwing in rarities and claiming it was the norm. I don't like seeing cookie cutter soldiers either, but there is still variety in the winter clothing such as the m36, m40 (with possible white sheet over the coat) and the grey/white parka. I tried suggesting a variety in the usual German tunics such as making some with the m36 and others with the m40/m41, and others having the stone grey pants or the m40 field grey pants.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.