• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Electronic music thread

There's a probabilty of 99% that in any decent club you'll rather hear this than 99% of the other stuff in here that doesn't even really have much left with the modern definition of electronical music.

I would certainly not define any club that played this kind of cheese as anywhere near decent. Unless they were doing it ironically.:D

That kind of thing takes me back to the explosion of so-called 'TEXHO' in Central European and Russian 'decent clubs' just after communism collapsed. What next? A Scooter or Aqua appreciation society?:p

I am interested to hear what your definition of modern electronic music is. ;)

Upvote 0
I would certainly not define any club that played this kind of cheese as anywhere near decent. Unless they were doing it ironically.:D

That kind of thing takes me back to the explosion of so-called 'TEXHO' in Central European and Russian 'decent clubs' just after communism collapsed. What next? A Scooter or Aqua appreciation society?:p

I am interested to hear what your definition of modern electronic music is. ;)
House/electro/progressive/minimal? Pretty much like it's everywhere around the globe? :rolleyes:

YouTube - ‪02.06.2011. Avicii @ Pacha Ibiza F***Me I´m Famous Party‬‏

The track played at Pacha Ibiza.

YouTube - ‪Avicii Live "ID" "Levels" @ Ultra Music Festival 2011‬‏

Ultra music festival 2011 miami

Also last weekend Sebastien B., Ibiza-DJ #1, played it on Donauinselfest in Vienna infront of thousands of people, even made a video of it as I was there. So whether you like it or not, stop making stuff up. I know what I'm talking about kthx.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
pap.

You have proven that there is a market for it. There is also a market for MacDonald's.

Shame really, cos there is good stuff coming out of German-speaking countries, too...

YouTube - ‪Robag Wruhme - Fittichklopfer‬‏

YouTube - ‪Loco Dice - Tight Laces.‬‏

YouTube - ‪Robag Wruhme - Wortkabular ( Luciano Wortkabular Remix ) - Eerf‬‏

Also technoviking. :D

..and I bet I am not the only person to have wished that this were the music for KF...

YouTube - ‪Bad Company - The Nine‬‏

talking of music for games....

YouTube - ‪Omni Trio - First Contact‬‏

and, while we're at it, a soundtrack for a yet to be released game about space colonisation (or something)...

YouTube - ‪Squarepusher - Dedicated Loop‬‏

seeing as we're back in the nineties...

YouTube - ‪Genaside II - Sirens Of Acre Lane‬‏

and, finally, just for **** & giggles....

YouTube - ‪Cabbage Boy-Rythm and Blues Angus Steak House‬‏

Here endeth the lesson... go post that other stuff on the 'panem et circenses et cheese' thread.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but a weekend of listening to that Pacha kinda stuff is about as entertaining as a weekend of laughing at fat people on the TV.

'Saturday night under the plastic palm tree' indeed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think what Nestor's trying to say here in his grumpy not-very-diplomatic way, is that those of us who grew up with House, Trance and Techno in the 90s, can't really hear the music has changed that much, except maybe for the addition of ridiculous amounts of synth strings (or 'Cheese' if you will).

Back in those days - Oh man, it was full of hope, it was our music and our revolution, everone was filled with Ectacy-induced Love for their dancefloor Brothers & Sisters- PLUR, Namaste and all that naive crap. Everyone dreamt of going to India to become a Saddhu. Of course it didn't last.

With mass appeal came the hard drugs of Alcohol and Amphetamines, and their natural consequence, violence. Soon going to a House-party was no different than going to the usual discos, there was just as much chance to get called a nerd or get your nose broken there as anywhere else on a saturday night.

Then came a surge of music clinically engineered for maximum market penetration, mixed by record spinners who became superstars for the apparently amazing art of matching 4/4 beats. The market was soon saturated with an endless stream of this:

ibizaalbum.jpg

But, by all means, keep listening to your Hits of the Summer and your Superstar DJs, and go to your huge parties where you can all stand in slack-jawed admiration staring at the guy on the podium whose only musical skill is that he's learned to play other peoples music on a record player and maximize the potential of the "epic breakdown".

Just allow us old dreamers to think back to what could have been :)

I always like to end on a good quote if I have a chance, and none is better than Ishkur (http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/):

Progressive is a pretty pretentious word to begin with, so if you're bold enough to actually call your genre anything like that you better have something pretty ****ing impressive, groundbreaking and forward-thinking to call it that. Like, music that will make you fly or breathe underwater or something.

Since that's the case, Progressive Trance is easily the most misnamed genre in the history of music. In the annals of trance, it made huge leaps backwards. Most oldskool trance enthusiasts admit that they stopped listening to trance right after Progressive Trance came around (legend states around 96 or so).

The genre doesn't actually do anything new or inventive. But what it DID do was codify--that is, write in literal stone--the trance template of breakdown-build-anthem, an infused pop gimmick that all of a sudden made this strange, space-age music suddenly acceptable to the sonically docile masses. No longer long, unwieldy, repetitive and unresponsive, trance became a familiarity, an image, associating itself (and its artists) with all the trappings that keep the pop music world intact.

It all went downhill from here.

I have to post some good music I guess. So, some examples that had us all with our hands in the air back then. Oh yes.

YouTube - ‪Visions Of Shiva - How Much Can You Take‬‏

YouTube - ‪Denki Groove - Niji [Live at FUJI ROCK FESTIVAL 2006]‬‏

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With mass appeal came the hard drugs of Alcohol and Amphetamines, and their natural consequence, violence. Soon going to a House-party was no different than going to the usual discos, there was just as much chance to get called a nerd or get your nose broken there as anywhere else on a saturday night.

Thats pretty much the opposite of heavy metal.

Which was a music for teenage rebels, drug addicts and drunks in general.

Spoiler!

And its audience shifted to the nerds in the late 90s and 2000s.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Good for you, but we're living in 2011 and not 1995. And don't even start with the "OMG MAINSTREAM" crap. That song I posted is not mainstream at all and even if it was that wouldn't automatically make it bad. Mainstream is David Guetta or Pitbull, this is something different. And again I don't know what secret hidden underground clubs you might be visiting, but in any major club you'll find this kind of music, although the more noble the more minimal is usually played. But yes, just deny the facts because everything new sucks and only your music that you grew up with is kewl! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I actually grew up with 1970's punk and, guess what.. that does look quite cool now, in retrospect.

Whilst I thank Shaddie for his support I do not agree with what it is 'we' we were trying to achieve in the earlier days of house music etc. (I was a hippie in the early 80's not the 90's), tho his analysis of where it went wrong is spot on.

Point is, I want music that speaks to my brain and takes me to a new place. I don't get that from identi-kit house.

Shaddie was absolutely right that I was very undiplomatic tho.. I get like that sometimes; mea culpa, sorry. :eek:

Upvote 0
Thats pretty much the opposite of heavy metal.

Which was a music for teenage rebels, drug addicts and drunks in general.

And its audience shifted to the nerds in the late 90s and 2000s.

So true... I used to be dead scared of going even near Death Metal concerts. This is Norway, and these guys don't joke when they talk about burning churches :p

Anyway, I found out Death Metal'ers are usually really nice people once you see past the hard fronting and the costumes. Certainly nicer than most people you meet out on the town, at least if you can say you have even a small interest in the music. Metal Clubs are usually the friendliest of places, even if you stand out a lot in "regular" clothes.

Upvote 0