• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crysis 2 ZOMG SPECULATION!

But you bought ME1 and 2 didn't you? ;) Or was that before your boycott?
Like any loyal PC gamer with a spine and enough integrity in his bone to be worthy of being called a PC gamer he bought the xbox versions of those games to show EA that that's not how you treat an upstanding PC customer!

:trollface:

Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0
I just hope they put BF3 and ME3 on Steam. More competitoin = better. I don't want to use Origin at all, but perhaps this will push Valve to improve Steam. Maybe they'll notify customers they ran out of CD keys before they buy? Or a way to choose which patch you can download?

My only issue is that if BF3 and ME3 require Origin. Then I'll likely skip BF3, and I'll have to wait until ME3 is dirt cheap. The inconvenience of getting yet another game client/DRM is too much for me.

Upvote 0
It's just setting a bad precedent for the industry, IMO. By paying a service fee to various vendors, publishers can potentially make more money than by having a death grip on distribution, and they do gamers the square of letting us choose our venue, for the most part.

In the battle over distribution control gamers are the ones that really suffer, other than I guess Steam who will lose part of their stake if this trend really takes off. For the moment, it's just obnoxious having multiple clients, several accounts and as much DRM as you can stomach. If the big publishers all decide they want to pull an XboxLive style membership deal, this **** is gonna start sucking really bad.

As I might have said, even though it might make sense for them, it is ****ty for consumers. I would play along with their Origin ****z, as long as I could just buy and download it from Steam.
This, for me. I was only annoyed because Origin seemed part of a trend. Now it's setting a trend and it's becoming an inconvenience to me. Minor still, but an inconvenience. Between this and the DLC shennanigans, the next piece of stupid news about BF3 is going to start pissing me off. The game looks amazing. And EA is using that as diplomatic capital to leverage all this **** they know annoys us.

Upvote 0
127814606985.jpg

Upvote 0
Ahem, maybe he got it by other means? :rolleyes:

I know what you are implying, but, it was actually a friend of mine who bought them :) (well no, I actually bought it for him with his money, so is quite hard to define who bought what)

I love ME games and really wanted to buy them myself, but the DRM free versions never came out. Well... their loss.

And yes, that was before my boycott.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ahem, maybe he got it by other means? :rolleyes:
Where are we again? I'm guessing bizarro-world, where piracy is less disgraceful than buying something, but my ID says otherwise. I'm confused.:confused:

I'd love to know what "new rules" from steam were violated, exactly. Because I'm guessing the rule reads something like this:
"The game must be available on steam, not just on the new platform you're trying to get off the ground with at least ONE game that can hopefully pull in a crowd"
and the rest is EAs marketing twist of lying by saying the truth...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, they can do what they want with Origin, as long as they won't stop releasing their games on Steam. I don't want to have to install and use two different digital distribution platforms. They can release their games on Origin but exclusives would be a terrible idea.

This. I liked Steam because it offered another option. Retail, Direct To Drive, or Steam. Origin is fine as long as I am not forced to use it.

Upvote 0
The public receiption of this has been hilarious so far. I can barely keep my Schadenfreude in check when seeing avid Steam users confronted with the other side of the coin for once, also quite happy to see numerous "I don't want another client" statements acknowledging that mandatory DD clients are a pest.

Wishing ill upon other gamers is still a somewhat scary thought, but when those other gamers promoted the same practises employed by a different company for years, they really had it coming.

Upvote 0
From what I read in several forums they game is now truely looking phenomenal. But hater's gonna hate.
Well in all honesty, Crysis 2 from the get go looked kind of underwhelming to me, and in many ways, did not match the visual quality of Crysis 1. I have no choice but to blame this on consolization concerns, but also on the simple fact that Crysis 2 only supported DX9 out of the box, which I think is pretty damn silly for a game that everyone wanted to be the next big benchmark.

I'm not denying the game looks impressive now -- I'm simply stating that if anything it looks closer to what it should have looked like in the first place, especially given the very high fidelity of its predecessor.

Upvote 0
The reputation as a mean benchmark that made the first game popular among a certain crowd of computer savvy tech-heads, (i.e. pirates, according to Mark Rein, lol) cost them a lot of money among the crowd of people who would have just wanted to play the damn thing but were worried it wouldn't run (or had PCs it actually didn't run on). Turns out that while in internet forums the tech-head crowd is more prevalent, it isn't on the market.
So whatever you think of this assessment of the situation with the first game, it's the assessment Crytek made, apparently, and I'm betting that Crysis 2 would have been a step down from the benchmark-of-all-benchmarks towards the well-optimized-game-for-everyone, even if the consoles weren't an issue at all.

Blaming them for that, i.e. not trying to learn from their mistakes as they perceived them, is even sillier imo.

Although, obviously, along with that plan came the idea to get the consoles on board too, because, well, might as well, if you're gonna step down from being the big boy on the block on the PC market anyway and that's in all likelihood the reason why it was scaled back that far. I mean, DX9 only is low for a successor to Crysis 2.
So yeah, obviously consolization. The whole focus of the engine is on console compatibility. But it didn't come out of the blue.

Upvote 0