• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anti-tank guns

This idea has been posted at last a dozen times already.

I think the general conclusion is that AT guns are somewhat out of the scope of the game. IRL you'd only rarely see AT guns being driven to the front to engage in actual front line combat. Generally they'd be employed as soon as there was a lull in the fighting or in rearward areas, you wouldn't see many gun-teams drive up (or ride up as most teams were still horse drawn) to a Soviet tank, unlimber and then pop off a few rounds.

Also, I'm generally absolutely against soft-skinned vehicles. They usually have no place on the front line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I think the general conclusion is that AT guns are somewhat out of the scope of the game. IRL you'd only rarely see AT guns being driven to the front to engage in actual front line combat. Generally they'd be employed as soon as there was a lull in the fighting or in rearward areas, you wouldn't see many gun-teams drive up (or ride up as most teams were still horse drawn) to a Soviet tank, unlimber and then pop off a few rounds.

Also, I'm generally absolutely against soft-skinned vehicles. They have no place on the front-line usually

I agree, it was mostly a defensive weapon anyway (defending a point; bridge for example). The mobility was only top move it to another battlefield afaik

Upvote 0

Also, I'm generally absolutely against soft-skinned vehicles. They have no place on the front-line usually

If TWI and/or modders are going to make huge maps with infantry, tanks and lot of objective to cap, then the anti-tank guns could be placed as defences, towed by some trucks/tractors/half-trucks.

Btw, it's something that must be done really carefully to be realistically implemented, but expecially i quote my first post :p

Static AT guns on the other hand...

Some AHZ RO1 maps had them, and DH had them too. Great addition, as long as they're randomised.

IMHO this is senseless and no much more realistic than driving & placing them all around the map. Spawning them in some predefined points is just pointless (again, IMHO), their positions could be bad, predictable, in the wrong place at the wrong moment etc....we need a midway between static and mobile AT guns. For example being free to place them freely but in some specific areas around defended objectives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krator
Upvote 0
IMHO this is senseless and no much more realistic than driving & placing them all around the map. Spawning them in some predefined points is just pointless (again, IMHO), their positions could be bad, predictable, in the wrong place at the wrong moment etc....we need a midway between static and mobile AT guns. For example being free to place them freely but in some specific areas around defended objectives.

MG's will be spawned randomly either, so I think random spawn would be quite fitting

Upvote 0
It would be much better if Squad Leader could decide, at which (predefined) areas he wants his AT guns/MGs on tripods.
I know, that would make SL role actually important. But there could be some idiot filter, that would make players with a long story of bad strategic decisions to be last in the queue for this role.

Since the random placing mechanism is discussed a lot already. Let's not do that again pls.

thanks

Upvote 0
Preparation time for defenders sounds excellent. It can be annoying to rush towards the first line of defence only to find the trenches occupied by the enemy.
Movable ATs would only make sense if such a time existed. (as IRL) But I'm guessing that if we ever get ATs they will be the spawned type.

But...the front line trenches are supposed to be occupied by the defenders.

Or did you mean the other way around?:confused:

Upvote 0
But...the front line trenches are supposed to be occupied by the defenders.

Or did you mean the other way around?:confused:

I think he meant that the trenches are supposed to be where defenders are, but some maps the attackers are there because of the close proximity to their spawn location.

So yeah other way around:D

Reactions: Krator
Upvote 0
Preparation time for defenders sounds excellent. It can be annoying to rush towards the first line of defence only to find the trenches occupied by the enemy.
Movable ATs would only make sense if such a time existed. (as IRL) But I'm guessing that if we ever get ATs they will be the spawned type.

Yes! Please RO2, do not make it like the Juno Beach map in DH where by the time the germans see the bunkers that overlook the beach, the allies are already inside the bunkers.

Upvote 0
Fixed AT guns are essential. PaK 36/38/40 and the Soviet 45mm, ZiS 2/3. With limited armor respawns many defensive hardpoints should rightfully revolve around these.

Also Pak 97/38 and 45mm mod. 1942 ;)

I dunno if they fought in Stalingrad...but...they were widely used in 1942.

And ZiS-2 production was stopped in the end of 1941 because its AT power was useless against the german tanks of that period, but if the game will get some Tigers then ZiS-2 could be an interesting gun to put in just to face Tiger :)

Upvote 0