• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bullet travel in CQC battle

SolitarioSoldat

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
USA,Tampa,Florida
Hi was searching the forum for such thread but didnt found anything,as far as I can tell ROOST has bullet travel ballistics,when target is far away and running you have to shoot ahead of it,and I love this implementation.

But I also noticed that someone is running really upclose you still have to fire ahead of him,this kinda kills the bullet travel ballistic because we all know how fast bullets are....

I hope devs noticed this in the ROOST and when implementing bullet ballistics in RO2 will be more carefull about it.

Hi was searching the forum for such thread but didnt found anything,as far as I can tell ROOST has bullet travel ballistics,when target is far away and running you have to shoot ahead of it,and I love this implementation.

But I also noticed that someone is running really upclose you still have to fire ahead of him,this kinda kills the bullet travel ballistic because we all know how fast bullets are....

I hope devs noticed this in the ROOST and when implementing bullet ballistics in RO2 will be more carefull about it.

Although a little exaggerated, but it is best seen in Saving Private Ryan, when the sniper shoots a meter in fornt of some1 to hit, because he is running.
Because it's fast and relatively minor, you still can lead for a few dozen cm's

Upvote 0
Trip has the muzzle velocity values in-game appropriate to their real world counterparts.

The only thing causing unrealistic delay is network latency.

My ping is usually at 100,that shouldnt make a huge difference when shooting at someone in running stance upclose,I say upclose like 20ft away.

Is there an actual bullet delay in ROOST when coming out of barrel?

Upvote 0
Pretty damn good guess, Lemon.

Thanks. :D

Now, of course one could be nit-picky and say that IRL you'd have to factor in the time it takes the firing pin to hit the primer, ignite the powder and to accelerate and propel the projectile out of the barrel. :p

Something which I would say increases that time by another 5 or so ms, unless you've got an SMLE, in which case it'll increase the time by another 15 seconds. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
7.69 ms at 20 feet with a 2600ft/s velocity
3.8 ms at 10 feet

Pretty damn good guess, Lemon.

Using what ballistic coefficient ? :D

This personally is one of the things I'm really looking forward to experiencing ingame, the true characteristics and advantages of some weapons over others because of the differences in the BC's of the bullets they fire. Also means you really need to get to know your weapon, and can't just pick up an enemy weapon and expect to do just as-well with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What about pistol rounds at 20 meters (not feet).

The PPSh41 fires at 488 m/s. Not taking into account drop in bullet speed, that's 41ms.

Somebody sprinting laterally at 6 m/s, would cover 24.6 cm in that time. You'd have to lead about one body thickness, depending on the body.

20m is enough to not let you notice ping all too much, so it would balance itself out quite a bit IMO.

Upvote 0

The PPSh41 fires at 488 m/s. Not taking into account drop in bullet speed, that's 41ms.

Somebody sprinting laterally at 6 m/s, would cover 24.6 cm in that time. You'd have to lead about one body thickness, depending on the body.

Exactly my point, never mind a sprinting body.
Thanks for the numbers mate:D

It's a very thin body though:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Well, to be fair, I am an American barbarian, and when I said 20 feet, that was 30% of the distance of 20 meters.

So if we're keeping the distances the same the rifle round would hit the target in 25.6ms, all other things held constant, so roughly in the same ballpark.

Just depends on whether we're talking about somebody rounding the corner, in which case the travel time would be negligible, to something like what you're talking about, in which the target could travel half the span of a human torso in the time it takes for the round to clear through a hallway.

In any case, the latency is always the bigger factor, but travel time is going to affect where you should place your shot.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro on IRC just confirmed, it's hitscan up close in ROOST.

So no flight time. Dunno what the cut off is. I vaguely recall 100 feet.

100 feet is pretty serious for something like that. The sad thing is I never realized it was hitscan up to a given distance just from playing the game.

So, since it's hitscan it's essentially instantaneous from the point the server receives and processes the data packet, is that correct?

Then latency would be the only thing to affect it.

The only problem with this is if you're just on the edge of the radius where hitscan turns off and it models travel time. Sure would make it tough to judge on muscle memory.

Upvote 0
The only problem with this is if you're just on the edge of the radius where hitscan turns off and it models travel time. Sure would make it tough to judge on muscle memory.

I would think difference in leading and bullet drop between 99 and 101 feet would be negligible, as it's near the noticeable point of divergence.

Upvote 0