• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics What kind of gameplay in RO2 ?

What kind of game-play can be expected in ROHOS ? I come from the COD series and I hope and pray that the game play will not be as asinine here as it is there. I'm talking about things like the ridiculous knifing ability , excessive pistol use and just plain gung ho running around on your own not thinking of your team. The knife in cod is pathetic giving and getting you killed from 6 feet away. Please tell me RO2 will be more realistic when it comes to this. Also the pistol use is terrible with players never pulling out their primary and going the whole round with a pistol in there pathetic little monkey hands. Please tell me this doesn't happen here often. Last I would like to touch on team-play , it does not exist in COD series anymore since UO I would say. Every game-type is just one big free for all with no tactics at all. With the COD series being a total joke these days I am willing to come to RO and be a noob for a while in order start enjoying fps shooters again.

Don't worry, there are no knives in RO, only the all-powerful bayonet (which takes way more skill to use than a COD knife attack), and its lesser cousin, the butt-smack;).

Pistols? Only 2 or 3 classes will have them and they're not the one-handed sniper rifles of COD, they're last-ditch weapons that most people will only use when they've run out of ammo for their primary, or their primary isn't suitable for the situation (ie AT rifleman who have to clear a room). Not to mention pistols in RO are very realistic, so they're inaccurate outside 25-50 meters, and they have very limited lethality compared to any primary weapon.

Team Play? There is no game that makes you rely on your teammates more than RO. I like to look at it this way: In RO, when attacking objectives, you always attack with a few other people, because in the course of the attack, at least a few of you are gonna get killed before you ever reach the objective. There are no super-soldiers with extra resistance to bullets, one shot from a rifle is enough to drop anyone 95% of the time. That's why strength in numbers is so important in RO, you need a numerical advantage to capture objectives.

And like Miro said, go out and buy ROOST, it will give you the best idea of what the game is all about. Just be prepared to die about 100 times before you ever manage to shoot someone. And stay away from 24/7 Danzig servers, those are full of nadespam and the gameplay doesn't reflect how most of RO is played. For the best example of true RO in its purest form, play Berezina or Konigsplatz on a 50 player server.

Upvote 0
I have downloaded ostfront and have enjoyed it so far. Thanks for the replies and I am looking forward to seeing you on the battle field. I will be the one thats running around lost lol.

That will be all of us in that first week unless you actually took the time to look at historical photos. ^_^ Damn, I love this game.

Upvote 0
I have downloaded ostfront and have enjoyed it so far. Thanks for the replies and I am looking forward to seeing you on the battle field. I will be the one thats running around lost lol.

Oh, don't worry, I still get lost in ROOst XD, You won't be alone lol.

I just love it when we see newcomers find out the joys of RO...its like the satisfaction of watching someone open a present. Granted, I didn't actually buy you the thing, or even suggest it, but I guess I just love happy endings ;)

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
i bought roost about 6 months before i ever played it....the dang dile up took FOREVER to downlaod all the updates!

downlaod darkest hour (its on steam) its a free mod that should be a expansion for RO...i love that dev team! adds USA, britian, more realism and abiltys (manteling over walls, engine fire kills tanks, ETC)

Upvote 0
firefight will make it or break it for me .. i pub alot and dont like to depend on my team to take objectives ... its almost always ends in frustation
Hi, HellBilly.

I remember you from MOH and COD admin days (and PBBans).

RO1 only had the one gametype (Obj based) so TDM players usually lost interest pretty quickly. As a result, most of the time there were very few players on a given server that didn't know that working as a team toward objectives was the way to go. As I said...most of the time.;) With all the different gametypes of RO2, I would imagine that the first few months are going to be somewhat 'interesting' for all.

While we're waiting, why not pick up a copy of Red Orchestra Ostfront (if you've never played it) and give it a whirl. Its only about $10 US iirc. Don't expect a run 'n gun twitch shooter and be prepared to die a lot and miss a lot of shots. If nothing else, it will increase your frustration level and raise your blood pressure....... and all while trying to have a good time. :cool:

Upvote 0
The game is designed quite differently than COD type games, and I can honestly say the first one (Ostfront) is the best multiplayer FPS game I've ever played.

As for the pistols, it's a trade-off. In exchange for semi-automatic fire and good close range properties you lose long range accuracy and stopping power. Rifles usually only take one shot anywhere to drop someone this series, whereas pistols can take 1-3 depending on where you hit. Helmets can also absorb one shot if they're lucky, as pistols are a smaller caliber. It balances out well though. I have gotten ridiculously long range kills with the luger (German pistol) before though, but that doesn't happen very often.

Upvote 0
You will, it's all just a little more tactical and less running in the open and hip firing an MG.

Have you played RO1? If not, you can get it on Steam for a bargain, and it's still massive fun to play!

RO1 is more like COD2 than lets say CODWAW, and I enjoyed both very much but in it's own way. What you are definitely going to miss is the dead on accuracy of SMGs in COD, or actually every weapon in COD, that isnt meant to be semi auto or bolt action.

In RO1 you have limited classes as well, something which COD did not have.

On top of that RO1 also has a couple of huge mods ( size of an expansion ) one of them is Darkest Hour ( Normandy 44' 45' , recommended by me ).

As for your 'Skills' it's still about killing the enemy eventually, being it to capture an objective or defend one from being taken. It ain't no different world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0