• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 40,000

Guess what?
You guys made it into a ROHoS PC Gamer article? It was only a passing mention, but it does show that it isn't exactly obscure around here. :D

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/14/the-history-of-red-orchestra/
End of the second to last paragraph!:IS2:

EDIT: Upon reading the comments, apparently hearing this was being made caused several mind-splosions

I just shat my pants.

Right, back to work! *claps hands twice*

EDIT:

I might as well update y'all. Lately, we've been solely rolling around ideas to see what we can do and how we can implement it and we're quite, quite sure this mod will be featuring the Steel Legion up against the Orks on the planet of Armageddon. I'm going to be starting a bit of model work myself soon I guess, and we're also looking for a few more capable hands (there's not very many of us at all) to help out. Once we have some good stuff to show - namely character models for each side, basic weaponry for each side, and a map or two designed for ROHOS gameplay - we're gonna talk to Tripwire and see how they can help us, like they did already with other mod teams and well, we'll see where we go next! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I promise, if you guys make this mod, I will fondle myself to the thought of you everynight.

400x.jpg

Anyway, update: Headclot seems to have gotten himself buried in several projects at the moment, and I have been dealing with IRL drama and other issues as of late, with an exploding PC in addition to that. When I get through my own problems, I will make sure to finally settle down and crack on with the start of everything. This also means that nothing has really been done that can be shown. At all.

I didn't really expect this mod to go anywhere anyway, but now it comes to my attention, word of this mod has been spreading accross the interwebs through word of mouth and interviews with TWI *looks at recent PC Gamer article* and if this doesn't take off, people are going to be a bit pissed so I've kind of landed myself in it now, and better get it done somewhere in the grim darkness of the far future. The biggest issue right now is getting a clear table and building a dedicated team. Any volunteers/pointers/advice greatly appreciated!

TL;DR I've found myself in deep water and I do not have a dedicated team, or even the time to get out of it. Need halp.

Reactions: Derpus and jalex3
Upvote 0
Well you've got an idea that will attract people to help. There are a lot of fans of 40k.

A good and inexpensive start is to get a website and identity to the MOD going as soon as possible. This will help you recruit people even if you don't have anything to show off. People won't really be willing to commit if it appears the MOD is just an idea that will disappear in a few weeks.

So you'll want to start fleshing out reasonable and achievable ideas to figure how many and what type of people you'll need to recruit. Try and get someone who can create some concept art for you. Even check places like Deviant Art as I'm sure there are some talented artists you could convince to do some early sketches and create something for you to sell yourself on.

Obviously majority of modding talent within the community has been gobbled up by other MODs and the others prefer to work on their own terms so you'll need to start looking for people via places lilke MODdb, Unreal forums. I would also recommend searching in various places modding fans of 40k will see your idea.

Don't give up just yet. the beginning of a MOD is the fun part ;)

Upvote 0
TL;DR I've found myself in deep water and I do not have a dedicated team, or even the time to get out of it. Need halp.

Gee, I didn't see this one coming :rolleyes:

I might learn how to model some stuff, you could always troll some of the other ex-mods for usable assets, seeing as gw issed c&d's to half of them :p

also, worry about orkz later, do guardsmen/heretics for now so you don't have to do nearly as much asset work ;)

Upvote 0
I'd be willing to help out with some modelling/texturing (possibly animation if you're desperate - I'm primarily art based though), my blog's here http://rhodrimatthews.blogspot.com/ but is rather out of date at the mo as been working on a kids TV show for the last year and all the work I've done's still NDA.

Talking from my experiences, the most important part of this project will be having one person in charge who does not drop out who just needs to keep things organised and keep the pipeline flowing (designing a feasible pipeline, with set guidelines will also be very important). If you can't model or animate or anything - that's fine, you just need to keep things organised and keep your workers motivated and hitting deadlines.

If you're serious about the project, draw up a breakdown of every job that needs to be done as your first priority, as this gives you a clear mission statement to work from, and allows you to draw up a timetable with the help you have.

Hope this helps,

Rhodri.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, I'm curious how you will handle Space Marines when that time comes. Because they're worth dozens of money on their own, it might be imbalanced if it's a full 64 player team of Space Marines (unless it's Space Marine vs. Chaos SM, but that's a different story). Would it be possible to add a single SM (or Techmarine, Apothecary, etc.) as a limited slot, a la snipers in RO1? That way it could be Mostly IG with 1 or 2 SM as heavy support, and they act like tanks/super heavy weapons/snipers.

Upvote 0
You can help by spreading the word in any other forums that have gaming sections, and so on. Might be able to recruit help if you link the thread around.

aye, I don't know if Gibby needs more public awareness as it is right now, but if somehow modders could be located and brought here, it'd be better than not.

And don't forget to remind anyone thinking of modding, that successful modders of TWI games have histories of receiving early tools and rescources :D

Upvote 0
aye, I don't know if Gibby needs more public awareness as it is right now, but if somehow modders could be located and brought here, it'd be better than not.

Weeelll, I'm a little 50:50 on the matter, to be honest. I'd really love to see this lift off, but I don't want to be pressured into doing it, but if the mod's plans got attention, there'd be a lot of help coming in I imagine!

And don't forget to remind anyone thinking of modding, that successful modders of TWI games have histories of receiving early tools and rescources :D

Yes, AFAIK, the lads at Rising Storm were given an arseload of help, as well as the SDK pre-release and tons of advice from TWI. Aside from a concrete plan, I don't know where to start - character models and the more important weapons, maybe. Then a map to test them in, and a programmer to get what we have into something that works, then spend FOREVUR making it something special and full.

But my other big concern is the legal issues - Mods and the like are allowed by Games Workshop, but it's easy to step in the wrong places, so I hear... I could use a little help with that, but meh.

Upvote 0
Yes, AFAIK, the lads at Rising Storm were given an arseload of help, as well as the SDK pre-release and tons of advice from TWI. Aside from a concrete plan, I don't know where to start - character models and the more important weapons, maybe. Then a map to test them in, and a programmer to get what we have into something that works, then spend FOREVUR making it something special and full.
Edit: Wrote out a whole thing without fully reading the quote.

I'd recommend starting with the concrete plan for now. It may not seem like you're doing something that great or interesting, but it keeps everyone on the same page, and defines all the work you need to do in order to complete the mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A design document would be the first thing that needs to be done. I'd also like to see and help this mod come to fruition, so I'll write down some ideas and post them. So far the most progress that has been made in this thread is that it will be based on the WH40K universe and will feature Orks and Imperial Guard.

Before attempting anything too ambitious, at the most basic level, this mod would be basically a reskin of RO2. RO2 will have many of the elements needed to make this mod work.

-Replace the existing player models with IG and Ork models. New animations and hitboxes would be required for Orks.

-Replace existing weapon models with WH models, and adjust attributes like accuracy, rate of fire, damage, etc.

-Replace existing classes with troop types. E.g. Sluggaz, Shootaz, for Orks.

That would be the first phase of development. Then afterwards we can work on more complex features.

-Code new weapons (meltas, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, jetpacks)

-Implement a melee system

-Vehicles (especially walking ones)

Also, I think the planned player progression system would work perfect for a WH40K theme. Instead of having heroes, for the Orks we would have a Warboss, and for the IG we would have...whatever the equivalent is. And since special weapons in WH40K are so devastating and we can't have every player wielding one, the ranking system that determines first pick of classes would also work well here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A design document would be the first thing that needs to be done. I'd also like to see and help this mod come to fruition, so I'll write down some ideas and post them. So far the most progress that has been made in this thread is that it will be based on the WH40K universe and will feature Orks and Imperial Guard.

Before attempting anything too ambitious, at the most basic level, this mod would be basically a reskin of RO2. RO2 will have many of the elements needed to make this mod work.

-Replace the existing player models with IG and Ork models, respectively. New animations and hitboxes would be required for Orks.

-Replace existing weapon models with WH models, and adjust attributes like accuracy, rate of fire, damage, etc.

-Replace existing classes with troop types. E.g. Sluggaz, Shootaz, for Orks.

That would be the first phase of development. Then afterwards we can work on more complex features.

-Code new weapons (meltas, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, jetpacks)

-Implement a melee system

-Vehicles (especially walking ones)

Also, I think the planned player progression system would work perfect for a WH40K theme. Instead of having heroes, for the Orks we would have a Warboss, and for the IG we would have...whatever the equivalent is. And since special weapons in WH40K are so devastating and we can't have every player wielding one, the ranking system that determines first pick of classes would also work well here.

Yes! Most of this is very similar to what I've been thinking! I am especially pleased by that last paragraph you wrote, I have been wondering what could be done to keep people playing aside from their love for e.g. the visual elements of the WH40k universe but there it is! RO2's own player progression system! A few changes to what TWI have got planned for RO2 could make something very interesting indeed. :) Cheers for posting!

As for weapons I was thinking of simply starting with the Lasrifles, pistols, and hellguns (some breed of automatic weapon). These will act in almost the exact same way as the infantry weapons in RO. Orks will have their pistols and blades. A slugga and choppa combo would have to behave like one weapon together, with shooting as the primary function and striking with the melee weapon as the secondary function, just like using a rifle with a bayonet - it just behaves differently. To fit in with the nature of the Ork shoota boys, Ork shootas will be inaccurate compared to the IG weapons, but this will be made up for in lower recoil, and greater ammo capacity. Grenades will be pretty similar to what RO2 is already using, and Orks would have panzerfaust-like weapons whilst the IG units have dedicated anti-tank infantry, just like in the first RO. As for more complex weaponry, I haven't thought much about that - it's a little early.

Oh, missed this one post:

Also, I'm curious how you will handle Space Marines when that time comes. Because they're worth dozens of money on their own, it might be imbalanced if it's a full 64 player team of Space Marines (unless it's Space Marine vs. Chaos SM, but that's a different story). Would it be possible to add a single SM (or Techmarine, Apothecary, etc.) as a limited slot, a la snipers in RO1? That way it could be Mostly IG with 1 or 2 SM as heavy support, and they act like tanks/super heavy weapons/snipers.

I'm not too clear on the thought of Space Marines (SMs aren't the intended focus as it is) but it could be possible to make a seperate game mode for smaller numbers of players to play as whichever chapter of Space Marines were featured in Armageddon (Black Templars, I think) to play against Killing Floor-esque AI. I don't really know, something co-operative, but it's not the main focus anyway. While I would like to see Space Marines featured in the future, I'd much rather focus on the Imperial Guard's Steel Legion fighting against the Orks until that part of the mod is pretty much out of the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
I'm not too clear on the thought of Space Marines (SMs aren't the intended focus as it is) but it could be possible to make a seperate game mode for smaller numbers of players to play as whichever chapter of Space Marines were featured in Armageddon (Black Templars, I think) to play against Killing Floor-esque AI. I don't really know, something co-operative, but it's not the main focus anyway. While I would like to see Space Marines featured in the future, I'd much rather focus on the Imperial Guard's Steel Legion fighting against the Orks until that part of the mod is pretty much out of the way.

Ah, indeed. Better to focus on the core content so you don't get overwhelmed. Also, I made a thread on reddit, in a subreddit for offers/requests. The link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Favors/comments/i90cl/request_team_members_needed_to_help_develop/

Don't know if it will work at all, but might catch a few interested people. Let me know if I should change any of the text in that post as well. Lastly, I'm having trouble suppressing the urge to call this "Red Orkestra 40k".

Last edited:
Upvote 0