• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Break Blocks Now Available!

I was just playing the game again and it crashed on me. Here's the steps to reproduce:

Start battle with the muscle guy on the second level (street?)

Press esc to go the main menu, go to options, I tinkered with the controls

Back to main menu and press the button single player and it freezed and crashed.

Also, I didnt realize the resume game button in the top right corner until it was too late. I thought about resuming the game from the single player button since I didnt think the button could be in the top right corner.

Here's the problem details Windows shows if they are of any help:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PuzzleGame.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4dfd6658
Fault Module Name: PuzzleGame.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4dfd6658
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003eb4a
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1035
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Edit:

Its reproducible by doing what I said, crashes after changing controls and then pressing single player.

Also a few ideas:

It would be nice if there would be some kind of dialog when you lose a game instead of just throwing the you lose screen in front of the player.

Also, I think the menu would look cleaner and neater if the Break Blocks -logo and the buttons would be on top of the background wall, instead of being transparent.

More edit:

I think there should be clearer pointers to how the GUI of the game works, I kinda missed it, and I missed the deploying of the new bought moves completely, I bought the moves but I didnt grasp the selecting them to be used during the match. The move selection menu was a bit confusing.

I also think the battle choosing menu could be clearer too. And maybe there could be something done to the step between the matches, when you win, so that the transition between them would go smoother.

Just throwing ideas around :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got news up about GGG and Break Blocks up at TGN and CSN as promised.

Going to go give the demo a spin once I get a few other news pieces up.

Thank you sooo much, Zips! That will be a big help!

I'm a Putz at break blocks.:(

Is it too difficult for you too? Heh. Man, this game is gonna end up in some uber-niche category, isn't it? We need more Bobdogs in the world ;)
(Yosh, don't kill me for saying that)

Upvote 0
I think some kind of leniency on the timing of the blocks is a way to please both the casual and hardcore, one suggestion is to make perfect timed beats to "shine" the blocks and give extra points when you break it.

You know, I had it a lot easier before, where it was much more likely to get you a correctly colored block, but it was thought to be too easy. Perhaps, though, as you say, we should just give a reward for doing well. I've added it to our list of ideas, thank you =)

I'll try again when the caffeine has worn off.

Please do...and let me know how that turns out for ya =)

Upvote 0
Maybe I should add about the difficulty that I failed a battle only once when playing through the game even though I didnt really pay attention in the tutorial :p

Also, after once again playing the game, I thought about the color of the square that shrinks and shows when to press a button, maybe it could show the color the brick turns into, just like the edges of the round middle. At least I paid more attention to the red color the shrinking box turned into rather than the edges of the round middle.

Upvote 0
Well, I fed this to one of my boys, who is color blind.

The red, blue & yellow blocks are not a problem.

I think an auto-rotate for noobs and/or Putzs, like myself, would not go amiss.

Thanks !

EDIT: A "Press any key to continue" would be nice in the main load screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe I should add about the difficulty that I failed a battle only once when playing through the game even though I didnt really pay attention in the tutorial :p

Also, after once again playing the game, I thought about the color of the square that shrinks and shows when to press a button, maybe it could show the color the brick turns into, just like the edges of the round middle. At least I paid more attention to the red color the shrinking box turned into rather than the edges of the round middle.

We've actually been rethinking that shrinking box, but we're actually going to use multiple colors on it to represent the beat timing. It'll start white, turns green(this is the earliest you can hit the key), then turns yellow, then red(when it's fully red, you can no longer hit the key).

Well, I fed this to one of my boys, who is color blind.

The red, blue & yellow blocks are not a problem.

I think an auto-rotate for noobs and/or Putzs, like myself, would not go amiss.

Thanks !

EDIT: A "Press any key to continue" would be nice in the main load screen.

What do you mean by auto-rotate?

And I'll be adding a time out to that loading screen that will just make it dissappear =)

Upvote 0
I was just playing the game again and it crashed on me. Here's the steps to reproduce:

Start battle with the muscle guy on the second level (street?)

Press esc to go the main menu, go to options, I tinkered with the controls

Back to main menu and press the button single player and it freezed and crashed.

Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce this crash following these steps. I tried on both our latest build(while running a debugger) and by using the current Demo build of the game. Does this still happen for you 100% of the time?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce this crash following these steps. I tried on both our latest build(while running a debugger) and by using the current Demo build of the game. Does this still happen for you 100% of the time?

Hmm... Strange, I cant get it to crash anymore, before it crashed everytime after doing that.. Also there shouldnt be any change in my software or hardware since then.

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm completely stumped, I have no idea what could've been the source of the issue, before it happened all the time, now not at all..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, if it's reading or writing some random piece of data, then it makes sense. As soon as you restart your computer or run some other application, the memory in which the game resides changes and that random piece of data has changed as well. I think I might have tracked down the issue, even though I haven't be able to reproduce the crash. We'll see if people are still crashing when I put out a new build next week.

Upvote 0
In case you missed it on your way down here, we now have our own section on these here forums!

Also, Break Blocks and its website have been updated. Check it out and give us some feedback: http://www.greatergoodgames.org

Game changes include wrapping everything up in an installer package, adding a glow to groups of 4 or more blocks, updating the "beat marker" to make it more user friendly, improving the Dance Move tutorial, fixing the only known crash in the game, and implementing a number of suggested fixes/changes.

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0